Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Granted, and I did acknowledge as much in my post.

But is the current climate, you can't take any single media outlet at their word. And anonymous sources have zero value. Possibly negative value.
    True. By saying that you both could be very correct, I wasn't taking anyone's word. Besides, an article is NOT an investigation. It can be though, reason enough to start digging.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    One more thing:
    If these anonymous folks feel that Falwell Jr is so awful, they should reveal their names. Man up and stand up for your convictions.
    Might be the right thing to do, though if your check comes from the source and you believe in the mission of the organization, might be a problem.

You can love the organization, but see the leader as a problem. As I said, the article-not proven-is not against the university or its mission, the problem in focus is on a man/men.

The pedophile priests have done untold harm, it never should have been covered up. I don't think the follies of men though, are an indictment of the teachings of the church or God.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

3. Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    If so, why hasn't Trump and Barr done anything? I wonder....
    Late catch. Have you ever heard of a thorough investigation?

Not an Obama era investigation that ignores fact and chases willow-the-wisps.

Over your head again, Pete.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Late catch. Have you ever heard of a thorough investigation?

Not an Obama era investigation that ignores fact and chases willow-the-wisps.

Over your head again, Pete.
    And your source is...?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    And your source is...?
    Typical of you. Ignore the past and demand a source. Why don't you read for yourself?
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

The school response:

https://wset.com/news/local/the-trut...nt-controversy

'The truth the media refused to print'; LU offers official response to recent controversy
    by Kirkland GeeThursday, September 12th 2019

LYNCHBURG, Va. (WSET) -- Liberty University released an official response to the recent allegations against president Jerry Falwell and alleged emails from him.

The school posted the following on its Facebook page Thursday around 5:00 p.m., "The truth about Liberty that the press refused to print in recent articles, is now published here: #FakeNews," linking to a document that contains all statements Falwell made to the writer of the POLITICO article Brandon Ambrosino, Reuters reporter Aram Roston, and Washington Post reporter Sarah Pulliam Bailey.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/j...n-protest.html

CP CURRENT PAGE:U.S. | FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2019
    Jerry Falwell Jr says he won’t ‘turn the other cheek’ to leakers; Liberty U students plan protest
    By Leonardo Blair, Christian Post Reporter

On the heels of allegations that Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. disparaged students and staff in emails leaked to the press, the embattled Christian leader says, in defense of the university, he won’t “turn the other cheek” to leakers and is taking legal action against them.

Reuters released on Thursday two of the several dozen emails it received from as far back as 2008, when Falwell became president of the university. In one of the emails, he disparages a student, referring to him as “emotionally imbalanced and physically retarded.”

“If it was me, I’d turn the other cheek but this is not me,” Falwell told the Lynchburg News and Advance. “This is Liberty University and I have no choice but to do what is in the best interest of the university and that means unfortunately taking action against these people.”

Reuters reports that the emails show that Falwell has been disparaging Liberty students, staff, and parents in emails to administrators since 2008.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    You're law enforcement, saying there should be no investigation without proof. But there should be no looking for proof? No response to look into such information given? Glad you're not an IRS investigator.
    If I was an IRS investigator I would drive over a cliff. I've been part of invading foreign countries that destroyed less lives than the IRS. No thanks.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

9. Thanks FakeNewsSux, STTAB thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Reuters reports that the emails show that Falwell has been disparaging Liberty students, staff, and parents in emails to administrators since 2008.
    I think it's none of anybody's business what Falwell or anyone else says via E-Mail. At the same time, people should be smart enough by now to know that using ANYTHING electronic to communicate with leaves a trail and it can fall into the wrong hands.

Civilians should have communications security drummed into their heads like the military. At least they couldn't say they didn't know when their own crap is thrown in their faces. And of course Hitlery and her ilk would be exempt ( couldn't resist ). Dirt is only dirty if its on someone on the right.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

11. Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    If they or anyone doesn't want to be "taken down", don't do stupid, questionable, or illegal shit.

It's really just that simple.
    Too bad it seems he still needs to learn that lesson, but for the time being, on leave from school:

https://richmond.com/news/virginia/u...f93b3adc1.html

UPDATED: Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. taking leave of absence
    BY SARAH RANKIN The Associated Press 2 hrs ago

Jerry Falwell Jr. has agreed to take an indefinite leave of absence from his role as president and chancellor of Liberty University, the school announced Friday.

The private evangelical Christian university gave no reason for the departure in its one-sentence statement. But the announcement came after Falwell apologized earlier in the week for a photo he posted on social media that showed him with his pants unzipped, stomach exposed and his arm around a young woman in a similar pose. The photo drew widespread attention and criticism, including from conservatives who said it was distasteful.

The statement said the Executive Committee of Liberty's board of trustees, acting on behalf of the full board, met Friday and requested that Falwell take leave, “to which he has agreed, effective immediately.”

An early and high-profile supporter of President Donald Trump, Falwell has served since 2007 as president of the university in Lynchburg founded by his evangelist father, the late Rev. Jerry Falwell.

He did not immediately return a call seeking comment, and a university spokesman said he had no further comment.

In an interview this week with radio station WLNI, Falwell said the woman in the photo was his wife's assistant and that the since-deleted picture had been taken during a “costume party” while on vacation.

“Lots of good friends visited us on the yacht,” the caption of the since-deleted photo said, in part. “I promise that's just black water in my glass. It was a prop only.”

He said the woman — who also had her shorts unzipped in the photo and midriff exposed — was pregnant, couldn't get her pants zipped and he imitated her, saying it was all in “good fun.”

“I’ve apologized to everybody, and I've promised my kids ... I'm going to try to be a good boy from here on out," he said in the interview.

On Thursday, Republican U.S. Rep. Mark Walker of North Carolina, a pastor who has previously taught at Liberty, called Falwell’s behavior “appalling” and said he should resign.

“How is this Jerry Falwell Jr. photo even real?” tweeted Meghan McCain. “Also if you’re running the largest Christian university in America maybe don’t put photos of yourself on social media with your pants undone on a yacht — with random women in bad wigs. So gross, so hypocritical.”

The late Falwell founded Liberty in 1971 with 154 students. Under the leadership of Falwell Jr., who is an attorney and not a minister, Liberty has grown into a leading evangelical university, with an immaculate campus and a significant endowment.

In recent years, the school has served as a regular speaking spot for ambitious Republicans looking to court the young evangelical vote. U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz kicked off a presidential campaign there in 2015. And Falwell was among the earliest Christian conservatives to endorse Trump’s previous election campaign.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

He's resigned now, after unsuccessfully trying to get 'ahead' of another scandal, for which he blamed his wife's sinning. Problem seems to be he was involved and it didn't end when he said it did, but was ongoing into 2019. Oh, really truly, there was a pool boy involved.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/24/90560...al-allegations

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpundit/2020/08/24/__trashed-32/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Well now he's saying he won't resign. Should be interesting for the university:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...versity-401122

Falwell denies reports of his resignation
    The embattled Evangelical leader says that reports of his departure from Liberty University are incorrect.

By MAGGIE SEVERNS and MICHAEL STRATFORD

08/24/2020 05:52 PM EDT

Updated: 08/24/2020 07:22 PM EDT

Jerry Falwell Jr. says he is not resigning as president and chancellor of Liberty University, contradicting news reports announcing his departure from the Evangelical school.

“I have not resigned. How did those reports get out? I don’t know,” Falwell told POLITICO on a phone call on Monday evening. “I have not resigned. I will be on indefinite leave.”

A Liberty University spokesperson earlier on Monday responded affirmatively to a reporter’s text message seeking confirmation of whether Falwell was resigning. The spokesperson added that a formal statement would be “forthcoming.”

But later on Monday evening, the spokesperson declined to comment, saying in a text message: “I cannot say anything and I can only give a statement from the Board if they give me a statement.”

Earlier on Monday, reports spread that Falwell had resigned following after reports that he and his wife had engaged in an ongoing relationship with Giancarlo Granda, a former pool attendant at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach. Granda publicly spoke out about his alleged affair with the Falwells, which began in 2012 and lasted through 2019, Granda told POLITICO.

“I met Jerry and Becki Falwell as a 20-year-old working my way through college at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach. Becki and I developed an intimate relationship that went on from 2012 and through 2019 in which Jerry enjoyed watching from the corner of the room,” Granda, now 29, said in an email.

On Sunday, prior to a report in Reuters about the affair between Granda and the Falwells, Falwell released his own statement that claimed Granda had had an affair with Becki Falwell without his involvement. Granda denied that statement.

“He enjoyed watching us in person and also remotely through video cameras. He also listened to our phone calls,” Granda said.

Falwell’s departure would represent a tectonic shift for Liberty, which has been under the Falwell family’s leadership since it was founded in 1971. Falwell Jr. has led the university since his father, Rev. Jerry Falwell Sr., died in 2007. During that time, the university expanded to enroll more than 100,000 students a year, many of them online, making Liberty one of the country’s biggest online universities. Liberty also embarked on a $500 million campus renovation, and its endowment grew to $1.6 billion.

In August, Falwell came under scrutiny after he posted, then removed, a photo of himself vacationing on a yacht with his pants unzipped and his arm around his wife’s assistant, sparking anger among members of the conservative Liberty community about Falwell’s behavior.

After he posted the yacht photo, taken during a vacation in Key West, a chorus of critics emerged calling for Falwell to step down. Among those who were critical of the photo were House Republican Conference Chair Mark Walker (R-N.C.), a former Liberty University instructor who said in a tweet that “Jerry Falwell Jr’s ongoing behavior is appalling,” and that the university’s faculty and students “deserve better.”

Falwell apologized for the photo, saying it was “just in good fun” and that he had told his family that “I’m gonna try to be a good boy from here on out.” But within a week, the board of trustees took action and placed Falwell on “indefinite leave” from the university.

Last week, a group of 50 pastors who are also Liberty alumni wrote a letter to the university’s board, shared with the outlet CBN News, that called for Falwell’s permanent removal and said his behavior has “embarrassed the many alumni that work hard in our community to not only uphold the reputation of the university but to uphold a positive witness for the name of Christ."

The yacht incident was not the first time Falwell’s public behavior was deemed to be out of step with the conservative Christian values espoused by Liberty.

In 2019, POLITICO reported on Falwell and family members visiting a nightclub in Miami Beach in 2014, in some cases apparently holding drinks in their hands. Liberty students are discouraged from both co-ed dancing and drinking, which can lead to expulsion.

Earlier this summer, Falwell apologized after tweeting a photo of a face mask decorated with a photo of a person in a Ku Klux Klan mask and a person in blackface. (The photo was meant to jab at Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s history of wearing blackface.)

Some members of Liberty’s board were also disturbed by Falwell’s oversight of university funds, sources told POLITICO. That includes Falwell’s repeated trips on a yacht belonging to NASCAR owner Rick Hendrick, who owns a racing team that Liberty University spends roughly $6 million a year to sponsor, POLITICO reported. (Use of the yacht was not part of the contract between Liberty and Hendrick’s company, Hendrick Motorsports, a Hendrick Motorsports representative said.)

On Sunday, Falwell said that Granda, the former pool attendant, had become increasingly “angry and aggressive” toward him and Becki over the years.

“He began threatening to publicly reveal this secret relationship with Becki and to deliberately embarrass my wife, family and Liberty University unless we agreed to pay him substantial monies,” Falwell said.

Granda said in an email to POLITICO that he was coming forward for a variety of reasons, including “some resentment over the amounts paid” to acquaintances of his by the Falwells to settle a lawsuit relating to their hostel in Miami, and “yes, boiling frustration over the Falwell’s refusal to purchase my 24.9 percent equity stake” in the hostel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Well now he's saying he won't resign. Should be interesting for the university:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...versity-401122

He can say anything he wants, but I'm pretty sure he's toast...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

16. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

18. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

He's out:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/falwell-jr-resigns-liberty

He'd pulled his resignation, this morning resubmitted it.