Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Tylenol PM

And I'll never touch that shit again.

I took that last night prior to bed.I woke up at like midnight and my legs were running a mile a minute. That shit is supposed to help people sleep too, but has the opposite effect on me. And that was 2 nights in a row! I just never suspected that as the issue.

Anyone have "restless leg syndrome"? It SUCKS. Feels like you have to toss and turn literally all night, like bugs inside your skin and you cannot sleep. I took more xanax to overcome it and nothing worked.

Then this morning I looked it up - diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in this and other similar products, is known to give that side effect to some. And of course I'm one of them. I "slept" for about 14 hours, or I should I tried for that long, and probably got 2-3 hours if I'm lucky.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Just looked up diphenhydramine, another indicator that you may have adult ADD.

One of the reasons it's fairly easy to tell if medication for ADD works or not for kids is that it causes noticeable changes quite quickly. 'Speed' slows them down; 'Downers' speed their systems up.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

3. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Just looked up diphenhydramine, another indicator that you may have adult ADD.

One of the reasons it's fairly easy to tell if medication for ADD works or not for kids is that it causes noticeable changes quite quickly. 'Speed' slows them down; 'Downers' speed their systems up.
    Hmmm... can you PM me anything you may have seen? I'm like "Johnny 5" from short circuit and always looking for input, especially if it deals with my own health, or shit like this that makes sleeping difficult.

Or you can post it here. not like it's super secret confidential double probation information!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Hmmm... can you PM me anything you may have seen? I'm like "Johnny 5" from short circuit and always looking for input, especially if it deals with my own health, or shit like this that makes sleeping difficult.

Or you can post it here. not like it's super secret confidential double probation information!
    This gives a person's perspective who wasn't diagnosed as a child, she has more, just google her name and ADHD:

https://theestablishment.co/the-proc...k-6fee6b8e1f1c

https://theestablishment.co/how-i-ca...d-2c77bf0a46dd

https://theestablishment.co/why-adul...n-de0ca2e2d0cd

https://theestablishment.co/how-to-c...d-52a62d865a7c

I know my son, who had severe ADHD as a kid, still recognizes that coffee helps 'calm' his wondering a bit and alcohol makes him jittery. Both help in different ways though in keeping 'focus.' He's careful with both, though more so alcohol, he is a bit off coffee freak, he knows what self-medicating can do.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

6. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

I agree, I feel very weird on Tylenol PM. Uneasy, drowsy but not sleepy. It's the benadryl.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post
    I agree, I feel very weird on Tylenol PM. Uneasy, drowsy but not sleepy. It's the benadryl.
    Benedryl contains diphenhydramine, Benedryl is not an ingredient of Tylenol PM.

9. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Benedryl contains diphenhydramine, Benedryl is not an ingredient of Tylenol PM.
    Seriously? Benedryl is diphenhydramine. Are you going to bust my chops when I say I used a Kleenex too?

11. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Seriously? Benedryl is diphenhydramine. Are you going to bust my chops when I say I used a Kleenex too?
    Tissue?
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Both have diphenhydramine as their active ingredient, both contain other ingredients.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

This one I can embarrassingly relate to. I've never once used the term "self medicate" as it always sounded like an excuse to me. I always and honestly thought I was getting high to get high.

I've been bouncing off the walls since I was a toddler. I was always thin because I never stopped. Athletic as hell. Always on the move. And what I never paid attention to before, which I have in my latter years - is that I do have an inability to focus, or listen, if it's got any length to it at all. I just always chalked it up to being hyper, just who I was.

Damn, I just know that no one is going to believe this - but I've tried some illegal substances over the years! Yeah, yeah, I know.

While I've done "speed" type drugs before, they are just not for me. My thing was a way to escape reality, something to subdue me, make me sleep, relax - I guess downers if you will. I thought it was just getting high, but I do see a pattern looking back. The weed smoking was always my way out from reality. I could still function, I could actually focus better at times, it relaxed me, helped me sleep, and most importantly, kept my "racing thoughts" at bay, which would keep me up all night or make me too hyper during the day.

But then even when I quit the illicit stuff, that's when I went to a doctor. Ultimately, with ALL of the truth on the table, the drugs continued - but now legally, and to more or less accomplish the same thing. Without them, I would still be that nutty guy running off the rails daily, or literally unable to sleep but for more than a handful of hours.

Alcohol too. You have fun while drinking it, and then it would ultimately help me sleep of course. It was never really my cup of tea though. And of course coffee!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I agree, I feel very weird on Tylenol PM. Uneasy, drowsy but not sleepy. It's the benadryl diphenhydramine.
    It's not semantics, she's pointing out a valid difference.

Both have diphenhydramine as their active ingredient, both contain other ingredients.
    Correctomundo!

16. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    It's not semantics, she's pointing out a valid difference.

Correctomundo!
    My statement is not any less understood. Benadryl is more commonly understood than diphenhydramine which is why I used it. Inactive ingredients (aka fillers) are not important.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

My statement is not any less understood. Benadryl is more commonly understood than diphenhydramine which is why I used it. Inactive ingredients (aka fillers) are not important.
    Understood? Perhaps so, since it's kinda part of the discussion. Correct? Absolutely not. There are a lot of drugs with that active ingredient. One wouldn't say that "benadryl" is in any of them. It's simply shares a same ingredient.

19. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I know my son, who had severe ADHD as a kid, still recognizes that coffee helps 'calm' his wondering a bit and alcohol makes him jittery. Both help in different ways though in keeping 'focus.' He's careful with both, though more so alcohol, he is a bit of a coffee freak, he knows what self-medicating can do.
    Gee, I wonder where he got that trait.

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

21. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Gee, I wonder where he got that trait.

LOL! The other two don't touch coffee. Go figure!

23. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post