Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    The problem is that you can easily spoof the phone number. The stupid ones that don't hide their real number are hauled off to the clink in short order... kind of a stupid scammer Darwinism.

I'd bet 100 to 1 that the phone call wasn't local... it was made to look local so that you'd be more easily swayed with their pitch. A phone call from Bermuda is going to make you awfully damned suspicious right out of the gate!
    That's a very reasonable assumption... makes a lot of sense. But it doesn't mean the local cops can't take a minute to check the number. Are all in Bermuda or off shore? I Did call the number back and got a person right away. The local cops at the least should be trained to advise me about FBI as you have,since they get "so many" calls along that line.
    they dropped the ball.
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-28-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I haven't run into any of these crooks. yet. last time for me was the windows tech scam. boy did i have fun with those dumb fucks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    I haven't run into any of these crooks. yet. last time for me was the windows tech scam. boy did i have fun with those dumb fucks

Yeah, I was just thinking about that! I had 3 or 4 of them so frustrated with this stupid American that couldn't navigate to their trojan page that they were ready to kill.

"Okay, where are you now?"

"Ummm... in my Friend Requests for Facebook. I think?"

"No! Okay. Type this in your address bar!"

"Type what in?"

They'd slowly spell out the address, and I'd make them do it a couple of times.

"Now what do you see?"

"Page not found. Okay, now I'm back at Facebook."

"NO! Okay, type this in. Okay? TYPE IT IN!"

"Page not found. Huh, now I'm at Facebook again. Should I go to my friend's list?"

"Grrraakkk!"

And I'd get passed to the scammer in the next cubicle while the last one beat his head against the desk. I figured the more time they wasted on me, the less time they'd have to scam a gullible American. Plus, trolling these shitheads gave me great satisfaction.

Their tears of frustration were delicious!
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post

Yeah, I was just thinking about that! I had 3 or 4 of them so frustrated with this stupid American that couldn't navigate to their trojan page that they were ready to kill.

"Okay, where are you now?"

"Ummm... in my Friend Requests for Facebook. I think?"

"No! Okay. Type this in your address bar!"

"Type what in?"

They'd slowly spell out the address, and I'd make them do it a couple of times.

"Now what do you see?"

"Page not found. Okay, now I'm back at Facebook."

"NO! Okay, type this in. Okay? TYPE IT IN!"

"Page not found. Huh, now I'm at Facebook again. Should I go to my friend's list?"

"Grrraakkk!"

And I'd get passed to the scammer in the next cubicle while the last one beat his head against the desk. I figured the more time they wasted on me, the less time they'd have to scam a gullible American. Plus, trolling these shitheads gave me great satisfaction.

Their tears of frustration were delicious!
    they always told me click the start tab. for some reason we never got that far

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    That's a very reasonable assumption... makes a lot of sense. But it doesn't mean the local cops can't take a minute to check the number. Are all in Bermuda or off shore? I Did call the number back and got a person right away. The local cops at the least should be trained to advise me about FBI as you have,since they get "so many" calls along that line.
    they dropped the ball.
    That wasn't very professional of your local cops.. they should have pointed you to the correct LEO instead of trying to get you to hang up and forget about it.

I just used Bermuda as an example because the last scammer that I had dealings with was allegedly based there. He sounded Jamaican to me, but I'm no expert on Caribbean accents. I know the Nigerians are nipples-deep in phone scams, along with the Russkies. It's just safer to scam people from another country because of jurisdictions and getting foreign LEOs to cooperate... we're relatively loaded compared to other countries, so we're naturally the choice target.

The Nigerian cops have a whole lot more important matters to investigate than some American cop wanting him to help track down a couple of internet thugs at a cyber cafe scamming stupid Americans with too much money.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum