Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Good News In Afghanistan?

If getting our troops out is the only end game, then I guess this is a win.

I suppose a bit of tempering regarding 'success' may be in order. Notice the Taliban and Afghanistan government really aren't communicating, indeed the Taliban continues to attack both the military and civil police. So, the issues there and likely Afghanistan as a sanctuary for terrorists will revert. I don't think that their agreement could be reached in time for the US elections, if ever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...814_story.html

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    If getting our troops out is the only end game, then I guess this is a win.

I suppose a bit of tempering regarding 'success' may be in order. Notice the Taliban and Afghanistan government really aren't communicating, indeed the Taliban continues to attack both the military and civil police. So, the issues there and likely Afghanistan as a sanctuary for terrorists will revert. I don't think that their agreement could be reached in time for the US elections, if ever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...814_story.html
    I said the other day I wish Trump would just withdraw form Afghanistan and let them sink or swim. I don't care about Democracy for people who dont care themselves.

3. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    I said the other day I wish Trump would just withdraw form Afghanistan and let them sink or swim. I don't care about Democracy for people who dont care themselves.

There really wasn't 'democracy building' here, but you're going to get your wish. Hope it's not your kids that have to return there in x number of years.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

There really wasn't 'democracy building' here, but you're going to get your wish. Hope it's not your kids that have to return there in x number of years.
    Both my sons (one biological one unofficially adopted) have been there, the one we unofficially adopted is there now. He's a US Army helicopter pilot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Both my sons (one biological one unofficially adopted) have been there, the one we unofficially adopted is there now. He's a US Army helicopter pilot.
    I thought your kids were littles, my mistake. Thank them for their service. I hope their kids don't have to go back and pick up where they are leaving off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I thought your kids were littles, my mistake. Thank them for their service. I hope their kids don't have to go back and pick up where they are leaving off.
    I have 8 kids if you count the two we just took into foster a few weeks ago, ranging in age from 27 to 3 LOL

I've got my hands full.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I have 8 kids if you count the two we just took into foster a few weeks ago, ranging in age from 27 to 3 LOL

I've got my hands full.
    Good on you. How many have died in Afghanistan, now we're pulling out without what this President said was imperative, that their be agreement between the Taliban and Afghan government. Thus, when the country returns to a haven for terrorism those men and women will have died in vain. If history is a guide, they will be followed by others down the road-after the US or major ally is hit hard again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Good on you. How many have died in Afghanistan, now we're pulling out without what this President said was imperative, that their be agreement between the Taliban and Afghan government. Thus, when the country returns to a haven for terrorism those men and women will have died in vain. If history is a guide, they will be followed by others down the road-after the US or major ally is hit hard again.
    At some point you just have to say "this cant be fixed" Do we stay in Afghanistan and fight terrorists there in perpetuity? Cuz they aint going anywhere and the Afghans will NEVER be in a position to be our strong ally in the fight. They aren't capable.

And US soldiers who die in the course of their lawful activities don't die in vain. That's actually an insult to every US soldier who has been killed anywhere.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

At some point you just have to say "this cant be fixed" Do we stay in Afghanistan and fight terrorists there in perpetuity? Cuz they aint going anywhere and the Afghans will NEVER be in a position to be our strong ally in the fight. They aren't capable.

And US soldiers who die in the course of their lawful activities don't die in vain. That's actually an insult to every US soldier who has been killed anywhere.
    I disagree. It is an insult to any of our military to send them into any conflict without a bottom line to fight to win. They are not peacekeepers. Last week the commander-in-chief said that, 'we're now down to 9k troops, not 14k as reported. Those 9k will be home very soon, once the Taliban and Afghan government come to agreement of how to go forward.'

Today, 'the US will be removing troops, pending its agreements with Taliban. The US is restoring the Taliban to power.

No matter what WMDs or other problems that may come from Afghanistan in the years ahead, I will not support any efforts to deal with those problems.

Not for US or attacks on allies. There comes a point to say, 'stop.' Surrender in honesty is better than this 'win.'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I disagree. It is an insult to any of our military to send them into any conflict without a bottom line to fight to win. They are not peacekeepers. Last week the commander-in-chief said that, 'we're now down to 9k troops, not 14k as reported. Those 9k will be home very soon, once the Taliban and Afghan government come to agreement of how to go forward.'

Today, 'the US will be removing troops, pending its agreements with Taliban. The US is restoring the Taliban to power.

No matter what WMDs or other problems that may come from Afghanistan in the years ahead, I will not support any efforts to deal with those problems.

Not for US or attacks on allies. There comes a point to say, 'stop.' Surrender in honesty is better than this 'win.'
    Of course the US military should only be used to "win" but what does win mean? We've fucked AQ up beyond their wildest nightmares. Is that a win?

Do we only consider it a win if we turn Afghanistan into a stable pro US democracy? If so, we'll never win that war, EVER. So yeah time to get out.

Is a win telling the Afghan people, hey we tried , you people suck, put whomever you want in charge, but if you fuck with us, we'll be back?"

Is a win spending $8T on a nation over the course of 18 years and it still being the same dysfunctional shit hole it was when you got there?

9/11 was supposed to be the start for AQ, not the sole event, and yet 18 years later our efforts have resulted in there being zero further attacks.

And of course that doesn't even address the fact that it wasn't even fucking Afghanistan who was behind 9/11 anyway, they were just a convenient country to attack , but that backfired as most government plans do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Of course the US military should only be used to "win" but what does win mean? We've fucked AQ up beyond their wildest nightmares. Is that a win?

Do we only consider it a win if we turn Afghanistan into a stable pro US democracy? If so, we'll never win that war, EVER. So yeah time to get out.

Is a win telling the Afghan people, hey we tried , you people suck, put whomever you want in charge, but if you fuck with us, we'll be back?"

Is a win spending $8T on a nation over the course of 18 years and it still being the same dysfunctional shit hole it was when you got there?

9/11 was supposed to be the start for AQ, not the sole event, and yet 18 years later our efforts have resulted in there being zero further attacks.

And of course that doesn't even address the fact that it wasn't even fucking Afghanistan who was behind 9/11 anyway, they were just a convenient country to attack , but that backfired as most government plans do.

The reasoning stated LAST WEEK was for Taliban and Afghan government to work out how to govern.

No pretending pro-democracy, that is your falsely crafted spin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The reasoning stated LAST WEEK was for Taliban and Afghan government to work out how to govern.

No pretending pro-democracy, that is your falsely crafted spin.
    I've already stated I DISAGREE WITH OUR AFGHAN POLICY. I think we should have left years ago.

If you're wanting me to say Trump is full of shit for doing a complete 180 here, that's no sweat off my balls He obviously has. I just don't care because I agree with getting out. You disagree, fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Russia spent decades mired down in Afghanistan only to also tuck tail and go home. We watched it all and didn't learn jack.

We should have never been in there in the first place. We should have never invaded Iraq either.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-06-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

We have been there too long. Those people do not want to settle down and act civilized.

A lot of American and allied blood has been spilled trying to mold that county into
    a non-heathen waste land.

Time to pull out with all of our gear.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Months, not years:

It's CNN, but the report is from the Pentagon

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/06/polit...&utm_term=link

Pentagon report says ISIS is 're-surging in Syria'

By Ryan Browne, CNN

Updated 7:00 PM ET, Tue August 6, 2019