Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Oh, I believe you! Anyone wanting an idea of what a left wing kook ran site looks like, simply go to democraticunderground! All you need do there is introduce yourself as a republican and they will ban you. They WANT voices from only one side. My old board, which went from like 500,000 posts to about 7 million since I sold it, is infested with chaos and fighting. Great, threads are 20 pages long an hour after you start them, but they are useless. I know what you speak of.

But one man is not an infestation, and he's not the type you would ever find schmoozing over at DU either. I know you may not want to hear it, but he's WAY more conservative than he is a leftie - just not entirely right wing cool nutcases like you and I.

The only thing I would like to get overrun by is good discussions. If what you saw at that old board ever happens here - remind me - I'll pay the fees for a new domain and hosting and start us a new website myself!
    It's tempting to try and join up there, just to aggravate the hell out of them (it's a knack ..) ...

As for any rerun of ruined, cesspitted forums ... happy to hold you to your promise ! But anyway, I was making a serious point - - Left-wingers DO work to either take over, or ruin, forums which they recognise as being anti-their interests. Don't be surprised if, someday, you suddenly find a great upsurge in membership interest which, when realised, turns out to be an enemy working from within.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Sir Drummond. You may not be aware of this but. We had a talk-radio personality named Neil Boortz who was a Die-hard Libertarian...to some extent. On his webpage, he also had a test visitors could use to determine their political leanings...so to speak.
    I took that test three times, and with very little variation. I came up as a Libertarian as well.
    Boortz and I disagree on the legalization of MJ and drugs. Which many Libertarians still believe is the right answer.
    Otherwise. As a Libertarian. I found myself being labeled by others, much like conservative, republicans are always labeled. And I deny having any Liberal ideology to claim. WHICH is why I find myself in such disagreement with people like Logroller, and other members who claim to be somewhat conservative...to their own limitations.
    Unlike many of them. I stand behind, and demand FULL compliance with our Laws, and Constitution. Which I have also discovered, isn't totally in agreement with many Libertarians...to many extents, or stretches of their Liberal Idiological claims as Libertarians.
    Therefore. I find myself in disagreement with Log, fj, and several others whom..in the long run...are actually disguised RINO's.
    (Republicans In Name Only) here in the USA.
    We are very much on the same page, Aboutime. For myself, I identify Conservatism with strong pro-Law and Order application. After the UK's Winter of Discontent, when our Unions were running riot, it was Mrs Thatcher's passing of stringent legal controls which saved our bacon ..

Any passing Libertarians might be 'amused' to note that I've zero tolerance for drugtaking (except when medically prescribed, of course) and for legalisation attempts. No .... Libertarianism is just one rather small step away from anarchy, in my book. I will always oppose it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have a lot on my plate tonight so this will be quick. Lord knows LR and myself have had our differences but I am not the least bit worried about him becoming a mod. While he is a lib - he is a nice guy for the most part. While he has had a short fuse recently he has been a decent guy. Why not wait and see how he moderates - if anyone gives him reason to. LR - congrats. Jim - good call.

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    I have a lot on my plate tonight so this will be quick. Lord knows LR and myself have had our differences but I am not the least bit worried about him becoming a mod. While he is a lib - he is a nice guy for the most part. While he has had a short fuse recently he has been a decent guy. Why not wait and see how he moderates - if anyone gives him reason to. LR - congrats. Jim - good call.

red states rule. Actually. We really have no choice but to do exactly as you suggested. Time, as it normally does. Will tell.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Oh, I believe you! Anyone wanting an idea of what a left wing kook ran site looks like, simply go to democraticunderground! All you need do there is introduce yourself as a republican and they will ban you. They WANT voices from only one side. My old board, which went from like 500,000 posts to about 7 million since I sold it, is infested with chaos and fighting. Great, threads are 20 pages long an hour after you start them, but they are useless. I know what you speak of.

But one man is not an infestation, and he's not the type you would ever find schmoozing over at DU either. I know you may not want to hear it, but he's WAY more conservative than he is a leftie - just not entirely right wing cool nutcases like you and I.

The only thing I would like to get overrun by is good discussions. If what you saw at that old board ever happens here - remind me - I'll pay the fees for a new domain and hosting and start us a new website myself!
    What's currently happening at USMB is a joke. A fucking joke. Over moderated horseshit, vile and disgusting posts, constant arguing, no serious discussion, no respect. It is really not worth trying to start an honest, serious discussion over there...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

red states rule. Actually. We really have no choice but to do exactly as you suggested. Time, as it normally does. Will tell.
    That's all I ask of you guys, to give it time before you jump off the cliff. Like stated earlier, so long as rules don't get broken, no one has a thing at all to worry about. I see no reason to believe that the way you guys are treated now, won't be the same way going forward. No moderation will happen unless someone is deserving of it. And considering I think everyone in this thread are honorable adults, I think we can all admit when we might have went over the line. I know I've done it hundreds of times!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    What's currently happening at USMB is a joke. A fucking joke. Over moderated horseshit, vile and disgusting posts, constant arguing, no serious discussion, no respect. It is really not worth trying to start an honest, serious discussion over there...
    Yep, I confine myself to education related and some political threads. I pretty much ignore responses to my posts, unless they are 'spot on.'

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

That's all I ask of you guys, to give it time before you jump off the cliff. Like stated earlier, so long as rules don't get broken, no one has a thing at all to worry about. I see no reason to believe that the way you guys are treated now, won't be the same way going forward. No moderation will happen unless someone is deserving of it. And considering I think everyone in this thread are honorable adults, I think we can all admit when we might have went over the line. I know I've done it hundreds of times!
    Yeah and I certainly threatened to ban you!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Yeah, it's sad to look at it and think back to what it once was. It's proof that sheer volume and numbers won't produce quality. Open any good subject, it's 102 pages long and 102 different subjects and 102 different arguments going on. Our problems here are tame in comparison! I still dare anyone that thinks we aren't fair to go and join DU and attempt to be reasonable. I wouldn't ask people to troll elsewhere as I wouldn't want it done here. But you'll be absolutely reasonable and gone real quick. Just tell them you're a Ronald Reagan fan from way back!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Yeah and I certainly threatened to ban you!
    At DP alone, not counting my old digs, there were at least 30x I was deserving of being given a timeout. I think there might have been a handful of things I did that warranted even longer. Sometimes heated discussions get the best of us, it happens. Now I think the worst we generally see might be a thread ban, and it won't happen unless someone is deserving. Oh man, probably a lot of threads I should have been banned from too!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yeah, it's sad to look at it and think back to what it once was. It's proof that sheer volume and numbers won't produce quality. Open any good subject, it's 102 pages long and 102 different subjects and 102 different arguments going on. Our problems here are tame in comparison! I still dare anyone that thinks we aren't fair to go and join DU and attempt to be reasonable. I wouldn't ask people to troll elsewhere as I wouldn't want it done here. But you'll be absolutely reasonable and gone real quick. Just tell them you're a Ronald Reagan fan from way back!

Jim. Many years ago. While Bush was still in office. I tried to join DU. Never got past the first couple of questions. So that didn't happen. They even managed to create a Cookie with my IP address that even stopped me from viewing anything there.
    Probably a good thing. For me. Now I can safely laugh at them all the time, and they have no idea what is going on.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Jim. Many years ago. While Bush was still in office. I tried to join DU. Never got past the first couple of questions. So that didn't happen. They even managed to create a Cookie with my IP address that even stopped me from viewing anything there.
    Probably a good thing. For me. Now I can safely laugh at them all the time, and they have no idea what is going on.
    I got banned once and just never went back, but it's fun to peek in every now and again and get a giggle out of the wackos posting there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

I'd enjoy somehow, by some miracle, managing to get myself on that site. Then offering to sell members copies of a recording of Margaret Thatcher reciting the Gettysburg Address ....

She actually did record that, you know ... I genuinely once owned a cassette tape of her reciting it. She did a great job.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    It's tempting to try and join up there, just to aggravate the hell out of them (it's a knack ..) ...

As for any rerun of ruined, cesspitted forums ... happy to hold you to your promise ! But anyway, I was making a serious point - - Left-wingers DO work to either take over, or ruin, forums which they recognise as being anti-their interests. Don't be surprised if, someday, you suddenly find a great upsurge in membership interest which, when realised, turns out to be an enemy working from within.
    The liberal trolls usually show up close to election time. We have had a good number of them here but they don't stay long. They get slammed with truth and facts and can't twist and turn things the way they like. Libs don't like it here.

LR is an okay guy. He'll be fine as a mod. He's not a liberal as everyone paints him. He just has a different point of view. And if we get some true liberals daring to test the water here you will see LR go after them right beside you.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

This is not perspectives. I think both of you have been members here long enough to know I run a fair board. This carries on to the staff. Ask any of the old timers, I still run the place the way I did my old board when I started in 2003. No one is going to go after anyone or take charge of the house. We simply need new mods to HELP, not to harm the place. All I ask is to give things chances when I make changes, and at least make your decisions based on reality and not what you perceive may happen.
    I don't care who the mods are as long as I get left alone.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.