Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you should quit school and move to America

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    I think you should quit school and move to America
    I would like to move to America, and more than likely will, however, my wee brother is still quiet young, so I'd rather stay over here for a few more years until he is older.
    Last edited by Noir; 09-13-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I would like to move to America, and more than likely will, however, my wee brother is still quiet young, so I'd rather stay over here for a few more years until he is older.
    which states are you most interested in?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    which states are you most interested in?
    Well I've only been to California so far, but over the next few years I plan to visit several more times, I know folks in pretty much all the states which helps,

One area I'm quiet interested in is Savannah, Georgia. Have heard many good things about there.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I've only been to California so far, but over the next few years I plan to visit several more times, I know folks in pretty much all the states which helps,

One area I'm quiet interested in is Savannah, Georgia. Have heard many good things about there.

cool well I am sure you will enjoy it when you arrive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Shouldn't have sent that email to Obama, Noir!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtsprincess View Post
    Shouldn't have sent that email to Obama, Noir!
    I don't think I'd want to be in the country if they ban me, and several thousand others for feely expressing ourselves in a coutry that prides itself as the land of the free.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Slight update, have started looking into the 'Open University' (OU) they provide lectures via DVDs and supplied books, all assignments are email based with an end of year test, it's basically like home-study, meaning I can work full time and study when I like, much more my style.
    Anyways a course that caught my eye is PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) and starts in the Spring, I also ran quickly through there costs and grants, the first year costs £650, but I will get £300 of that written off and a £200 grant, so it's basically a free first year, and given you must pay as you go (rather than having it added to future debts against your name in normal Unis) means I won't be getting inti debt, again much more my style.
    Solly I'm gonna phone up about it tomorrow and see if positions are free, could be good

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Slight update, have started looking into the 'Open University' (OU) they provide lectures via DVDs and supplied books, all assignments are email based with an end of year test, it's basically like home-study, meaning I can work full time and study when I like, much more my style.
    Anyways a course that caught my eye is PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) and starts in the Spring, I also ran quickly through there costs and grants, the first year costs £650, but I will get £300 of that written off and a £200 grant, so it's basically a free first year, and given you must pay as you go (rather than having it added to future debts against your name in normal Unis) means I won't be getting inti debt, again much more my style.
    Solly I'm gonna phone up about it tomorrow and see if positions are free, could be good
    Good luck Noir!

Is your goal to eventually become a government worker and not work in the private sector?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtsprincess View Post
    Good luck Noir!

Is your goal to eventually become a government worker and not work in the private sector?
    Thankies,

And yeah my main paths at the minute would either be within Goverment, as part of a pressure group/ think tank or within a Charity.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thankies,

And yeah my main paths at the minute would either be within Goverment, as part of a pressure group/ think tank or within a Charity.
    Join us in Texas, we would be glad to have you. The summers are not pleasant, but the rest of the year is pretty nice here!
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I always say that college isn't for everyone, so I would say that you should do what pleases you.

Two things to keep in mind, though:

1. You are obviously intelligent, so I would advise that you do find a career that challenges you intellectually, or you will probably not be fulfilled. We spend a lot of our time at work, so it's not good to be bored.

2. Also, it is much easier to finish your studies when you are young, energetic, and have no responsibilities. Much tougher to do later in life with spouse, kids, mortgage payments, etc.

Good luck.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hey guys,

Sorry if this seems a bit random but you're one of my few social networks left that are not heavily intergrated with my IRL network. (such is the double edged sword of web connectivity)

Anyways, my problem is simple to explain, even simpler for me to justify to myself, but justifying it to others is the kicker.*

I want to leave University. TBH I never even wanted to join, or to take the achademic route I took. I have no idea how I ended up were I am now, but here I am. (scratch that, I know how I got here, by putting my head down, taking the riute I was expected to take and hoping it would be over soon)

But how to tell that to others, I was one of the first (in a very large famaily) to pass my primary school tests, get to a grammar school, pass GCSEs, pass A-levels and get into university. It's always just been quietly accepted that 'jonathan'll be the one that does well' and for years I just bought into it and went along with it, but over the past year I have come to realize just how miserable it's making me.

I have been dreading the end of this summer something shocking, but it's too close now to not tell people, so my question is, how do you tell your family that what they regard as the best possible thing for you, is infact the worst

Ps. I have no doubt that many of you will also regard me wanting to leave as a bad decision, but it is certainly not one I have made likely, or without many months of internal debate. *I have worked as hard as I could through doing what I was expected to do, but resigning myself to another three years of this is just too much.
    Well, What do you want to do? I think that's really the first question you need to answer. If you need to, work back into it by lining out what you don't want to do first, and looking at the remaining stuff.

I myself am one of those for whom college is not really working, and I'm writing a novel, but I'm keeping myself on my feet with work while I do that.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Another slight update, registered online with the OU today, should get my confirmation letter in the post soon,

I start on a Politics, Philosphy & Ecomonics Diploma (2year course) in January with the option to make it q degree (add another year) all seems win so far

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Another slight update, registered online with the OU today, should get my confirmation letter in the post soon,

I start on a Politics, Philosphy & Ecomonics Diploma (2year course) in January with the option to make it q degree (add another year) all seems win so far
    I like the way those three areas of study are combined in one diploma. We tend to compartmentalize majors in American universities, and I think sometimes miss the big picture in doing so.

Although the requirements that go along with a major often pick up these other topics, the courses may not flow together as well as what you will be taking.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey