Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

< under my breath >

Geez, couldn't he have just edited them together and posted one video? Four pages of 24 - 90 second videos, oyvay!

< end >

Looks like you had a great time dude. Ready to take the Mrs? When are you moving?
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I could swear that the bottom half of that tree was going to fall backward, with Patrick landing underneath it! Very cool job by him to maintain the bored facial expression the whole time!
    Yeah, they said he went about 8 feet swinging each way after the cut! Damn tree monkey!! Like I said, couldn't pay me to climb and do that shit, but he was good!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Thanks Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    < under my breath >

Geez, couldn't he have just edited them together and posted one video? Four pages of 24 - 90 second videos, oyvay!

< end >

Looks like you had a great time dude. Ready to take the Mrs? When are you moving?
    Edited them together? WTF do I look like? Someone who has a clue how to do that? LOL I suck with any type of video editing. One long movie I thought of - I could take them, or all of my photos, and use a CD creator to make them into a movie with background music and what not, but thought it better to maybe write like a 'tard about some of them. Was just too damn much fun!! Dang, wait till I post a bunch of pictures, and you see that while I was out there I also visited the Democrat National Committee Headquarters!!

I'm gonna try to get her up there!! She's a tough nut to crack, but I think if she were to ever visit, she would like to get a place there! If you owned a place somewhere, and only visited once per year, it would be MORE than worth it!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes hjmick, NightTrain liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

can't tell you how much I appreciated seeing this stuff. Thanks Jim and Rick!

8. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie, NightTrain, hjmick, Russ thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Now these 2 videos are for @Abbey

Cruising down the highway and Rick stops on a dime and reverses, and here was Momma with her little baby!!

Aww! I do love it. In Maine, we had to go on a ""Moose watching" tour to be sure to see one. And even then, mom was a bit away in a pond.
    @jimnyc

Was that your voice, Jim?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

10. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Aww! I do love it. In Maine, we had to go on a ""Moose watching" tour to be sure to see one. And even then, mom was a bit away in a pond.
    @jimnyc

That was me saying "Abbey will love you for this," and it was Jim that said, "Hi, Abbey!".
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

12. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Abbey Marie, Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

@jimnyc

Rick narrated and then my voice sounding retarded popped in with the "hey Abbey".

14. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Abbey Marie, Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Not gonna lie, I was very tickled to hear you guys talking to me.

It's almost like we were all together.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

16. Likes jimnyc, Kathianne, Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Not gonna lie, I was very tickled to hear you guys talking to me.

It's almost like we were all together.

They didn't mention me, wah! No worries, I can't hear sound anyways on video.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    They didn't mention me, wah! No worries, I can't hear sound anyways on video.
    I did tell Rick a few times how much you would appreciate all the photos. You were on our minds as well.

What if you used headphones, does that help, can you hear them that way?

19. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I did tell Rick a few times how much you would appreciate all the photos. You were on our minds as well.

What if you used headphones, does that help, can you hear them that way?
    I do use headphones, no way could I hear anything without them. But with motors and such, I just go visual-I know I'll only hear the motors. My hearing loss is all in the middle, where speaking occurs. If men and women are talking, I'll only hear the men. If there's extraneous noise, which is nearly always, I'll hear that instead of words.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

21. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Heading up river to "Disappointment Creek". Apparently back in the day, where these 2 rivers intersect, it looked like a great place to pan for gold. Apparently it wasn't so, hence the name. It also disappointed me, as I soon screwed up and lost a massive trout that I hooked into! "The one that got away". It was cool though, as 10 minutes later I got my King!!

I'm way behind, but these video are a blast. Looks like a lot of fun, and Alaska is beautiful. Thanks for posting these, Jim.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

23. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Hittin the rapids!!

This is a great example of cavitation that happens with Jet Boats in very rough water.

A jet is simply a very big water pump; it sucks in water from beneath the boat and shoots it out the back at high velocity. When the boat travels over a deep trough in the water between standing waves, the jet encounters that large air pocket and the engine RPM spikes with no load on it, until the boat travels past that air underneath and once again is able to suck water into the jet. In that momentary cavitation, you have no thrust or steering which can be a big deal if you didn't anticipate it and set the boat up correctly in speed and direction, especially in rapids.

The boat manufacturers are well aware of cavitation and spend a great deal of time and money to minimize that event, but R&D only goes so far and it'll always happen to some extent when running white water. The engine and jet are beefed up to handle this kind of abuse - but still, I don't like my engine doing it.

So in this vid, you can hear me back off the throttle right before it cavitates, then I pour the coals to her as soon as it's done cavitating to regain lost speed with a course correction, then the 2nd time I back off and repeat it.

It probably spiked to about 4,800 RPM in this vid, but if I hadn't backed off the throttle prior to cavitating the engine would have screamed at 6,000 RPMs or so and then slammed back down to 3800 when the jet bit again - that's too much abuse in my book. A comparison would be to drive a stick shift pickup down the highway at 55 MPH, holding the throttle to the floor while pushing the clutch in for 2 or 3 seconds and then dumping the clutch - that's a tremendous strain on everything.
    Last edited by NightTrain; 07-15-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

25. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I'm way behind, but these video are a blast. Looks like a lot of fun, and Alaska is beautiful. Thanks for posting these, Jim.
    It was just too much fun, Russ!

We have all talked many times about getting the board together, whomever was willing. THIS is the place to meet and have a blast. Meeting at a bar for a few hours? WTF?? -- L5 is the place to be, but you'll never find her.

I had a blast, I had a blast taking all the photos at the same time, and it's fun sharing my experience and seeing all of the photos and videos.

27. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    This is a great example of cavitation that happens with Jet Boats in very rough water.

A jet is simply a very big water pump; it sucks in water from beneath the boat and shoots it out the back at high velocity. When the boat travels over a deep trough in the water between standing waves, the jet encounters that large air pocket and the engine RPM spikes with no load on it, until the boat travels past that air underneath and once again is able to suck water into the jet. In that momentary cavitation, you have no thrust or steering which can be a big deal if you didn't anticipate it and set the boat up correctly in speed and direction, especially in rapids.

The boat manufacturers are well aware of cavitation and spend a great deal of time and money to minimize that event, but R&D only goes so far and it'll always happen to some extent when running white water. The engine and jet are beefed up to handle this kind of abuse - but still, I don't like my engine doing it.

So in this vid, you can hear me back off the throttle right before it cavitates, then I pour the coals to her as soon as it's done cavitating to regain lost speed with a course correction, then the 2nd time I back off and repeat it.

It probably spiked to about 4,800 RPM in this vid, but if I hadn't backed off the throttle prior to cavitating the engine would have screamed at 6,000 RPMs or so and then slammed back down to 3800 when the jet bit again - that's too much abuse in my book. A comparison would be to drive a stick shift pickup down the highway at 55 MPH, holding the throttle to the floor while pushing the clutch in for 2 or 3 seconds and then dumping the clutch - that's a tremendous strain on everything.
    I told ya'll he was Captain Riverboat Rick, and that's for good reason! Probably only a handful would ever successfully get up river to Rick's cabin. He's going left and then right and then the middle. I'm watching his eyes and the water intently, just trying to see what he sees. He's like, "just watch the water, watch the rapids, it tells you which ways to go". Sure thing there, and now you know why Jim looked scared shitless behind the wheel of the Duckworth!! I sure as F didn't go within reach of the wheel if I saw any white water! And then the canyons, and you start seeing and hitting those rapids that toss you out of the water! The first time I was a tad nervous, didn't feel like swimming, nor dying. But once I got past the trust factor and realized who was at the helm, it was all smiles and an amusement park after that!!

The videos don't do the river justice. When I say 17mph, that's no joke. You fall off the back in some areas, your ass is doing some serious downstream swimming and you better slowly angle for a side before you die! LOL And I would imagine that if you fall in just leaving Disappointment Creek, you will bang off rocks and canyon walls and come out the other side looking like a battered and beaten hamburger!