Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Your IQ

Where do you think you fall, percentage-wise, worldwide? I just saw a bell curve representing IQs.

My immediate family is in the top 1.2%, which I think was around 125-140.

I think most of this membership would be the same...
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Abbey....stopped thinking about IQ long ago.

I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Last I remember, must have been high school, counselor told my folks tests were around 130.

My oldest, like his dad are in the 'so smart, no sense.' B tested at over 160 at 6 years old. Until returning to college after just leaving and then getting his master's, he was mostly a C student. Nothing in school interested him much and he didn't want to be different. (He still was.)

The youngest loved gifted, the left the school 3 days a week to be with kids from all the schools, including the middle schools when he was in 3rd grade.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

You've heard of Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius?

I'm smarter than that...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

6. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I've looked into this IQ bit a time or two and even taken a couple online tests. I came out in the higher 120's near 130, but I was surprised how much of the test seemed to simply be testing my knowledge, not my actual brain power, so after a little digging, this is what I found out about IQ tests...

Is An IQ Test An Accurate Way To Measure Intelligence Or Are Mental Abilities Something You Can’t Put A Number On?

The IQ test is an exam most of us are familiar with, regardless of whether we have taken it or not. The test was originally designed by the French psychologist Alfred Binet in the early 1900s. But in the new millennium, is the IQ test still an effective means of measuring general intelligence? According to the general consensus, the answer is "no."

Read more:
    https://www.medicaldaily.com/iq-test...ant-put-297244

But, as the article mentions, anyone with an IQ of 130 or above is extremely intelligent, and anyone below 70, well, you're retarded, and with that, below is a link to the average IQ of each nation on earth, and here's a heads up, America is nearer the top than the bottom, but it's nothing to brag about. The average IQ of Americans is 98...

https://iq-research.info/en/average-iq-by-country
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-22-2018 at 08:51 PM.

8. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Default Just had a great idea...

Suppose I tell all of you...I have a Higher IQ than all of you? Who can prove I don't?

Last edited by aboutime; 05-22-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

126 Whatever that means. I don't recall.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    126 Whatever that means. I don't recall.
    According to many experts, it doesn't mean anything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    According to many experts, it doesn't mean anything.
    Well, there you have it. I never though anything of it. Formal education has it's place but isn't the be-all end-all with me. I've worked with my hands all my life and you either got skills or you don't. I don't need a piece of paper to tell me I can wire your house. All I needs the material and the house.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

13. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Well, there you have it. I never though anything of it. Formal education has it's place but isn't the be-all end-all with me. I've worked with my hands all my life and you either got skills or you don't. I don't need a piece of paper to tell me I can wire your house. All I needs the material and the house.
    Thing is, like me, I have a very analytical brain. I'm very good at figuring out problems that are electro/mechanically technical, but please don't ask me to paint your portrait or be a diplomatic people person. Aside from not being interest in the slightest about those types of things, I'm no good at them. The point is, people can excel at certain things and suck at others, people seem to have their nitch. So trying to put a specific number on their IQ can be, more or less, cheating them in certain areas and complimenting them in another. I think that if they're going to try and quantify the intelligence of someone, they're going to have to also devise a test that determines where the person's IQ could be higher, and/or lower. People aren't smart about everything, or dumb about everything straight across the board.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-22-2018 at 11:04 PM.

15. Thanks Gunny, LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Where do you think you fall, percentage-wise, worldwide? I just saw a bell curve representing IQs.

My immediate family is in the top 1.2%, which I think was around 125-140.

I think most of this membership would be the same...
    I think it would be impossible for most of us to be in the top 1.2%.

For the record, I get too bored to have ever finished an iq test; i have no idea. My Army GT score was 128 however - but that's more a test of what i'd learned more than how smart I am. GT is a composite of Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension and Arithmetic Reasoning.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Thing is, like me, I have a very analytical brain. I'm very good at figuring out problems that are electro/mechanically technical, but please don't ask me to paint your portrait or be a diplomatic people person. Aside from not being interest in the slightest about those types of things, I'm no good at them. The point is, people can excel at certain things and suck at others, people seem to have their nitch. So trying to put a specific number on their IQ can be, more or less, cheating them in certain areas and complimenting them in another. I think that if they're going to try and quantify the intelligence of someone, they're going to have to also devise a test that determines where the person's IQ could be higher, and/or lower. People aren't smart about everything, or dumb about everything straight across the board.
    I can see ME painting someone's portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

18. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I can see ME painting someone's portrait

Hell man... THAT'S GOOD...

20. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    I think it would be impossible for most of us to be in the top 1.2%.

For the record, I get too bored to have ever finished an iq test; i have no idea. My Army GT score was 128 however - but that's more a test of what i'd learned more than how smart I am. GT is a composite of Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension and Arithmetic Reasoning.
    Here's some book knowledge for you, D ...

The GCT is your overall ASVAB score. The different branches break the raw scores down and combine them differently. The Marine Corps used the GCT. Mine was 136 at the AFEES (no MEPS). The COrps doesn'tt rust anyone; especially, its own recruiters so you retake it once you get to boot camp. And a bunch of other tests. I nailed a 124 after no sleep, no smokes, having my head shaved and all my clothes taken away and crammed into some stiff, new cammies and boots that smelled like Cash Sales, and screamed at from minute 1

If there's more than a 10 point disparity in Marine boot camp they sit you down and question you (trying to see if you had a "ringer" take it for you at the AFEES. I just told the Sgt that given the wonderful, warm welcome we got I'm surprised I scored even THAT high. He was an admin clerk. I'd never have said that to a Hat.

I know about the tests because my SSgt Ex used to give them at the high schools and at MCRD.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

interesting. My asvab was given by probably GS05s at the MEPS while the recruiters, from all branches, waited elsewhere - then the results were given out to us when the recruiters got the info...but then our cases were given to career counsellors for each service.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.