Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    It was just too much fun, Russ!

We have all talked many times about getting the board together, whomever was willing. THIS is the place to meet and have a blast. Meeting at a bar for a few hours? WTF?? -- L5 is the place to be, but you'll never find her.

I had a blast, I had a blast taking all the photos at the same time, and it's fun sharing my experience and seeing all of the photos and videos.

I see...

If I had feelings they'd be hurt...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    I see...

If I had feelings they'd be hurt...
    If it makes you feel any better, L5 had as much beer and liquor as your local bar. It may have disappeared quicker though, those folks were awfully thirsty on day one! LOL
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

3. Likes NightTrain, NT'sGirl liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

L5???
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

5. Thanks NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    L5???
    Oh, I forgot to explain the name.

So, initially we had 12 telephone poles to support the main structure. We built it off the ground almost 6' to keep things above flood level and they're good for a hundred years or more due to being Cedar and treated with Creosote.

If you look at a telephone pole in your area, you'll see an alphanumeric code on it. This is to identify which pole someone is talking about if a problem develops down the road, like a tree leaning into it or a car hits it or something. The telephone company can plug that number in to the computer system and quickly dispatch a Line Crew out to it without wasting precious time looking for it. Something along the lines of : "Pole AHV834, between A & B Streets, 4th pole down."

So we built the first structure, the main part of the cabin, and just by random coincidence, most of the letters & numbers were gone on the near left corner and all that was left was 'L5', and it was facing out toward the river like we'd done it intentionally. Someone said that must be the address to the cabin, because it was in the same metal numbers you see on regular residential houses in town, and it stuck.

Now when anyone says L5, everyone knows exactly what cabin is being referred to.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

7. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    This is the end of my trip, but just via the videos. I have another 700 pictures or so of a lot more cool stuff to go through and share with everyone.

This was just as the captain went over the loudspeaker with "Flight attendants, please prepare for landing". I rolled up my window and this was my view just prior to landing. Yes, I was sad.

I already miss Rick and Sharon. I miss Alaska and all of that beauty, and all of that wildlife. Man, I couldn't thank them enough for what they extended for me. I know home is where home is. But I was in a slice of heaven there for awhile, something all so new to me, literally an adventure. I did a LOT of camping in my life, and a fair amount of travel along the entire east coast mostly. This was different. All those cool things I've seen only on TV my entire life, I got to see and live in a short 10 days. Forever grateful!!!

And this damn crappy view ended it all, a little different than Alaska!!

Man, I'm bummed that the vacation is over, and it wasn't even my vacation!

Thanks for posting all the videos! @jimnyc
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

9. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie, NightTrain thanked this post