Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    you sound a lot like Jahil. All your sources are right, and everyone elses source are wrong. Extremely narcissistic of you.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_hours

In western Catholicism, canonical hours may also be called offices, since they refer to the official set of prayer of the Roman Catholic Church that is known variously as the Divine Office (from the Latin officium divinum meaning "divine service" or "divine duty"), and the Opus Dei (meaning in Latin, "Work of God"). The current official version of the hours in the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church is called the Liturgy of the Hours
    I'm not making this stuff up.
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonical_hours

I'm not making this stuff up.
    Yes, and from that very same link:

Current practice

Priests are required by canon law to pray the entire Divine Office each day while permanent deacons are required to pray the morning and evening hours. All clerics are free to use the Liturgy of the Hours or the traditional Roman Breviary, according to the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum, to fulfill this obligation. The practice among religious communities varies according to their rules and constitutions. The Second Vatican Council also exhorted the Christian laity to take up the practice, and as a result, many lay people have begun reciting portions of the Liturgy of the Hours.

And I don't think you're making stuff up either, just have no clue about Catholic tradition and are looking for anything to prove something wrong, which you can't. EVERY single angle has the 3 prayers and that it's supposed to be recited by the laity.

Have fun if you will, Marcus, I'm going out into my backyard to argue with the first rock I come across.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

Current practice

Priests are required by canon law to pray the entire Divine Office each day while permanent deacons are required to pray the morning and evening hours. All clerics are free to use the Liturgy of the Hours or the traditional Roman Breviary, according to the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum, to fulfill this obligation. The practice among religious communities varies according to their rules and constitutions. The Second Vatican Council also exhorted the Christian laity to take up the practice, and as a result, many lay people have begun reciting portions of the Liturgy of the Hours.

And I don't think you're making stuff up either, just have no clue about Catholic tradition and are looking for anything to prove something wrong, which you can't. EVERY single angle has the 3 prayers and that it's supposed to be recited by the laity.

Have fun if you will, Marcus, I'm going out into my backyard to argue with the first rock I come across.
    You'll get a more challenging argument from the rock than from MM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

Current practice

If you're saying that it's your experience that some of the laity has adopted the 3 daytime prayers as their part of the canonical hours, fine. What's your take on this description of those prayers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Hours

These prayers are intended to be short enough to be memorized, to avoid interruption of work during the day.
    Do you reckon that includes schoolwork?
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    If you're saying that it's your experience that some of the laity has adopted the 3 daytime prayers as their part of the canonical hours, fine. What's your take on this description of those prayers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Hours

Do you reckon that includes schoolwork?
    As stated earlier, each person will have different prayers for the specified times. And yes, the majority of them CAN be stated silently, with arms straight up and sitting in position. Some though prefer to close their eyes, kneel and fold their hands. Some strictly follow Angelus. Some perform the rosary (try doing that in a public classroom). It's up to the individual as to how to apply their prayer. Some shouldn't have prayer shortened or rushed while others would be given time to go to an entirely different room to pray.

Just as Muslim kids, all around the nation save this one school, either skip prayer, or make it up later. It's "Qadaa" and typical. If every other Muslim kid in public school can manage, I'm confident the handful in this one school can manage as well. BUT, if you want to grant them an accommodation to go prayer elsewhere on class time, they should allow this for the kids who aren't as smart, as well as other religions.

Surely if a school is going to venture into new territory, and allow Muslim kids an opportunity that no others have in public school, they should simply allow others the same.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock