Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
My Buddy used to tell me never to shoot under 1/125 shutter speed, or you chance movement blur. I think the new digitals are more forgiving in that manner than the film cameras.
Most cameras and/or lenses has image stab but that buys probably one stop at best. If you're using a 17mm lens, shooting at 1/50th is fine, most of the time - but yeah, I prefer shorter shutters when I'm hand held.

Yes lenses, holy cow, you can spend a small fortune on glass, but, ya gotta have it with an SLR, digital or otherwise.

Do you shoot in RAW? I hear that you never have to worry about degradation when processing a RAW image.
I shoot only RAW. Because i want the most data possible in the image. And yeah, glass is expensive. I've used $1500 glass on a 200 dollar camera with good results. But $200 glass on a $2500 camera makes little sense to me.

I buy used now - my fav lens is probably my used $500 17-40 f4/L or my used $500 70-200 f4/L. I have a used 50m 1.8 - which was $60. And a 300mm f/4L I got new for about $1200 maybe?