Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Stop, this is like the third time this week you've accused me of somehow trying to tell you what you can or can not post in a thread, and you know that simply isn't the case. You may not like my debate style, but you absolutely should know by know that I don't tell anyone who should post or who shouldn't or what they should say when they do.
    Do you have me confused with someone else?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Do you have me confused with someone else?
    No ma'am I specifically remember another thread where you said I was trying to tell you how to post. Not trying to make a big deal of it, just saying, that's not how I roll. Yes, I'm a dick, but I don't tell others how to post.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

No ma'am I specifically remember another thread where you said I was trying to tell you how to post. Not trying to make a big deal of it, just saying, that's not how I roll. Yes, I'm a dick, but I don't tell others how to post.
    Or...you can take this opportunity to re-evaluate your style. Could be Abbey is spot-on with her analysis - even IF it wasn't your intent. Might be a good time to examine the messages you send and how they are received; all in an effort to be clear. Make sense?

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Or...you can take this opportunity to re-evaluate your style. Could be Abbey is spot-on with her analysis - even IF it wasn't your intent. Might be a good time to examine the messages you send and how they are received; all in an effort to be clear. Make sense?

I've already admitted that my style is a bit ahem abrupt. Not as if I stand alone in that regard even in this august collection of posters.

I don't think I stand out as so much worse that I need to be constantly reevaluating my style as others remain the same.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I am the type who wants to communicate as effectively as possible; I'd never hide behind my style if it meant slight adjustments of my style might-could thwart potential hard feelings or misunderstandings. That's just me, though.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Con,
    What I see is a person who cannot accept the slightest correction. You could have just responded to my point. Instead, you went kinda aggressive in style and told me I should stay on what you perceived as the topic, or post my thoughts elsewhere. That isn't debate.

Since this post is essentially a correction too, I guess I should prepare for incoming!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    Condescension is preferred then? How about this; announce that you will no longer be providing breakfast or lunch at school at the beginning of next school year and then find out who shows up at school hungry. Once the actual need is identified inform DFACS that Johnny's family needs a little help in providing proper sustenance.

I'm pretty sure that the state sponsored karate lessons that you're school district will provide will allay those issues.
    Um, FJ? What is it you think DFCS does, exactly? Because they do not help parents get on benefits, they just remove kids from "unfit" homes, and they put parents on monitoring. Let's see if I have this straight: Instead of doing the simpler and easier thing of providing some basic food at the place the kids have to be at , you instead want every school calling Child Services about their kids that didn't bring a lunch or lunch money? Clearly you've never worked in a school before, because this would completely swamp DFCS.

And what exactly do you propose we do with all the extra prepared food that, by law, has to be thrown out at the end of the day? Bear in mind it can not be given away, or taken home with faculty, it's gotta get dumpstered. We have a monumental amount of extra food, so giving some to the poor kids isn't going to change the food budget at all in schools. It will simply change how much is being thrown away, of good to no one.

You know why schools offer lunches? Because kids and faculty gotta eat, and some parents are horrific cooks (My buddy O'Toole's mom couldn't manage Oodles of Noodles.), while others are too busy working 1-4 jobs and just don't have enough time to prep a lunch. Sure, we could let all the kids off campus to snag something at McDonald's, but uh, aren't we talking in this thread about how that sort of food is detrimental to our children's health? Second, you would have kids leave and not return, which is a hassle for the school, or get injured/sick during the lunch period. Third, it's inefficient, and would waste valuable classroom time to the logistics of the thing. So, it's simply easier, and more convenient to have the cafeteria on premises, and if we've gotta have the cafeteria on premises, then there's extra food to be had, so we might as well make sure everyone's taken care of.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Meals, that's all we're discussing in THIS thread. Start a thread on schools taking any children to dental appointments and I'll join you in disagreeing with that.
    Stop, this is like the third time this week you've accused me of somehow trying to tell you what you can or can not post in a thread, and you know that simply isn't the case. You may not like my debate style, but you absolutely should know by know that I don't tell anyone who should post or who shouldn't or what they should say when they do.
    Sounded to me like you were "telling" her what was being discussed in THIS thread, and implying she should start another thread if she wanted to discuss a related yet different topic.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Sounded to me like you were "telling" her what was being discussed in THIS thread, and implying she should start another thread if she wanted to discuss a related yet different topic.
    this thread isnt about me, go start a flame in the appropriate forum and I'll be happy to join in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Was just putting it out there how I "saw" it, and perhaps how Abbey did too. Sometimes its not always what one says, but how they say it!

And to place the thread back on topic...

Sounds to me like once again personal responsibility is failing. When I was in grammar school I brown bagged it. They offered a "hot lunch" that you paid for in advance. If you didn't pay, and didn't bring your own, you went hungry. If the school is going to intervene, they should be doing so by calling parents and finding out why these kids are going hungry. Instead, they just take over a part of parenting and expect me to pay for it. I'm sorry that a child may be hungry, but it shouldn't be MY responsibility when another parent can't take care of their kid. Damn government coddles half the nation while the other half pays for it. And then the coddled half complains that the other half should pay more in taxes so they can live better!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was just putting it out there how I "saw" it, and perhaps how Abbey did too. Sometimes its not always what one says, but how they say it!
    my last remark was purely smart ass Jimmy.

Thought all the emotes made that obvious.

Sounds to me like once again personal responsibility is failing. When I was in grammar school I brown bagged it. They offered a "hot lunch" that you paid for in advance. If you didn't pay, and didn't bring your own, you went hungry. If the school is going to intervene, they should be doing so by calling parents and finding out why these kids are going hungry. Instead, they just take over a part of parenting and expect me to pay for it. I'm sorry that a child may be hungry, but it shouldn't be MY responsibility when another parent can't take care of their kid. Damn government coddles half the nation while the other half pays for it. And then the coddled half complains that the other half should pay more in taxes so they can live better!
    DO you realize how little money we are talking here? It's a marginal percentage of a school's budget.

That being said, I would like to see some sort of system where those who receive the assistance do volunteer work at the school in exchange. Would that be acceptable to you? Okay we'll provide your kids lunch, and you'll come clean the hallways or something like that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

But..But.. But.. Jim it's for the children!!! You know that old rally cry of the Libs.

don't get me wrong I am all for charity and helping to take care of less fortunate but... heres the rub MOST of those kids on free lunches and breakfasts ALREADY RECEIVE FOOD STAMPS AND ASSISTANCE. I have had this argument ad nauseam, it truely does make me sick and as long as we have the Con's ofthe world constantly making excuses for bad parents with the rallying cry of "its for the children" we will continue to have BAD PARENTS

DO you realize how little money we are talking here? It's a marginal percentage of a school's budget.

That being said, I would like to see some sort of system where those who receive the assistance do volunteer work at the school in exchange. Would that be acceptable to you? Okay we'll provide your kids lunch, and you'll come clean the hallways or something like that?
    You are talking ONE school district but when you add all the reduced/free lunches and breakfast around the country you are talking a NOT SO SMALL amount of money.....
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Every little project is little. Now add up how much money we spend yearly "taking care" of others. What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. Children need to learn responsibility and parents should be teaching it to their kids. Whether I add $1 a year to the pot or $500 shouldn't matter. Teach parents to be better parents instead of teaching the kids to live off the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    But..But.. But.. Jim it's for the children!!! You know that old rally cry of the Libs.

don't get me wrong I am all for charity and helping to take care of less fortunate but... heres the rub MOST of those kids on free lunches and breakfasts ALREADY RECEIVE FOOD STAMPS AND ASSISTANCE. I have had this argument ad nauseam, it truely does make me sick and as long as we have the Con's ofthe world constantly making excuses for bad parents with the rallying cry of "its for the children" we will continue to have BAD PARENTS
    There are so many families that see their kids as cash machines. 7 kids and you get lots of welfare and other government goodies. Then the parents don't parent, and now WE get to foot the bill for their little machines.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post

At least in Arkansas. Most of the kids receive a reduced price, a FEW receive free. The threshold for receiving FREE lunches is the same as for receiving free lunches. The threshold for reduced price however is quite a bit higher, but still poverty.

I don't think as many people are sucking up free lunches as some of yall think.

We have a school board meeting next week. I'll try to get the exact data on just our little school just a point of reference.

PS I'm not a liberal, I just have a soft spot for kids . Has nothing to do with not being disgusted by parents who sponge off of welfare.