Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
I guess I neglected to mention that my wifi comes straight off my Mediacom modem, it's built in. That was a new one on me. I didn't know they made such animals. My son says I should just get my own modem and router too, but I would just rather not mess with it. But I was always under the impression that wifi should be just as fast as your wired internet. I've known it's not for some time but thought well, maybe that's just the way it is. Yeah the kid is always like Dad, do this, do that, get this, get that, check the duplexing, blah, blah, blah, but hey ya sod buster, YOU are an IT/NETWORKING person with an B.S. degree in the stuff that works at a freakin' TV station, I'M NOT. I like tech but c'mon... I can get tripped up with this crap fast when it gets over my head...

Yeah the shop computer is a vintage old POS. Slow processor and buss speeds, but the new DELL laptop is a screaming monster with an 8th Gen i7 processor, 16G of RAM and a 265MB SSD. It's wifi is set up for 802.11ac as well. But even though the desktop in the shop is old, it's still setup for 802.11n, which can handle up to 300Mbps. So my slow wifi is all on Mediacom because the Dell in the house gets the same down wifi speed as the old POS in the shop.

I just wondered if wifi was always supposed to be slower than wired ethernet.

Just checked playing some 1080i video in the shop and the new wifi dongle improved that. It used to lockup and such when I'd click and move the video ahead. It plays good with no problems now.
Well, I use the modem that Cablevision supplied too, they usually aren't the issue. But I would definitely get and use my own router and disable the one on the modem. Get something similar to mine. ORRRRR - maybe your son or someone else has a good one you can borrow for a few minutes and test a bit? Make sure you lookup your modem model fist and make sure you can find out how to disable to router portion. If it's rented from them, you may not be able to mess with it. If you bought it from them outright, then I think you should have access. Of course a new modem that would work on your line would also solve the problem. But if the tech is there tomorrow, maybe he can better answer that modem/router questions first.

Sure, perhaps the ratings for the modem/router/wifi may all be able to handle such speeds, but usually in my experience I have always seen wifi a bit slower. But it doesn't have to be much, and certainly a negligible difference. In other words, 100Mb download speeds instead of a wired 130Mb speed (just examples), while slower would be a speed you likely wouldn't see a huge difference.

My desktop is Windows 10 of course, the latest I9-9900 processor (8 cores @ 3.6ghz), RTX 2060 Geforce display, 32 gig ram, 240gig bootup SSD, then a SATA of 3 terabytes - then 2 externals, one 1 terabyte, and also one that is 2 terabytes, DVD writer... Then a sweet case you can see through, and 6 red fans and liquid cooling to keep her all cooled off. Picture with lame reflection sucks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19LA...ew?usp=sharing

and goofy type of montage thingy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/193K...ew?usp=sharing