Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Christ went out of his way to avoid forcing people to believe

http://www.tsdowntown.com/component/.../message/doubt

Why didn't Christ simply appear to those who crucified him? Christ invites doubt.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    http://www.tsdowntown.com/component/.../message/doubt

Why didn't Christ simply appear to those who crucified him? Christ invites doubt.
    Why should he? You bring up an age-old argument. Freedom of will. If everything is pre-ordained how do you have freedom of will?

That's why Christianity is based on faith. It's not about looking for fault and questioning every word. And when you go through something that tests your faith, you either come out stronger or you fall apart.

No names. My first wife destroying my family devastated me. I couldn't think from one minute to the next. And I was pissed at the world. I was in DC at the time and they thought I'd gone psycho. My faith is the only thing that sustained me.

Everything invites doubt. Choose a path.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

3. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I did not watch the video due to the length. There's enough that can be discussed from the stated proposition.

I am taking some liberty here that you are in reference to Jesus allowing His glory to be seen as on the mount of transfiguration.

God and His righteousness are clearly seen and understood through His creations so everyone is without excuse. Romans chapter 1. That's not to say we fully understand God, but by His creations, including but not limited to ourselves, there is enough evidence to prove the existence and righteousness of God.

Abraham told the rich man that if people would not consider God by hearing the prophets, then even if one returned from the grave those same people would not be persuaded of God. So even sight would not persuade some.

As I see it a king does not make request of his people. He does not sit there and go "oh please, oh please, oh please, won't you do what I am asking". He issues commands that are to be followed. So as the King of kings and Lord of lords, Jesus commands the lost sinners to come unto Him. It is not a request. However, as with all kings who have issued a demand, it can be ignored to peril of the person disregarding the command.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. Thanks Russ, darin thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    It's because of faith. There's little faith involved if we only believe after we've seen miraculous deeds performed before our eyes. Christ wants us to display faith. After all, there are physical acts we can ever do that would impressive in Christ's eyes - only acts of faith have value. So he gives us the chance to display faith, by leaving some room for doubt.

7. Thanks Gunny, crin63, darin, Black Diamond thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    I did not watch the video due to the length. There's enough that can be discussed from the stated proposition.

I am taking some liberty here that you are in reference to Jesus allowing His glory to be seen as on the mount of transfiguration.

God and His righteousness are clearly seen and understood through His creations so everyone is without excuse. Romans chapter 1. That's not to say we fully understand God, but by His creations, including but not limited to ourselves, there is enough evidence to prove the existence and righteousness of God.

Abraham told the rich man that if people would not consider God by hearing the prophets, then even if one returned from the grave those same people would not be persuaded of God. So even sight would not persuade some.

As I see it a king does not make request of his people. He does not sit there and go "oh please, oh please, oh please, won't you do what I am asking". He issues commands that are to be followed. So as the King of kings and Lord of lords, Jesus commands the lost sinners to come unto Him. It is not a request. However, as with all kings who have issued a demand, it can be ignored to peril of the person disregarding the command.
    Thanks brother - I was asking rhetorically. The answer to the question - and the question - comes from the video. I don't want to dig too deeply into your reply and make this a debate. But if you can, take a listen to the video. The guy does a good job, generally, of explaining things in ways maybe we haven't thought of. Not that everything he says is correct, nor should it be nor should it matter ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    It's because of faith. There's little faith involved if we only believe after we've seen miraculous deeds performed before our eyes. Christ wants us to display faith. After all, there are physical acts we can ever do that would impressive in Christ's eyes - only acts of faith have value. So he gives us the chance to display faith, by leaving some room for doubt.
    I think Christ wants us to doubt. As the guy explains in the video, doubting Christ opens the door for doubting self - which in turn brings folks to Christ in a weird way.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

9. Thanks crin63, Russ thanked this post