Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nukeman;
    So your saying that "PRIVATE" citizens/groups have NO freedom to dictate for themselves what they can and can not do.
    You left out the question mark.

mason;
    It was a joke, there are some cute sorority girls. You still didn't answer my question. What is your view on sororities?
    Yes, so was my reply.

I don't really have one. My interest was only in checking your views on misogyny . I'm satisfied that you ain't a New Klansman or a sexist freak.
    668.....the neighbour of the beast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I just don't get the whole "we're not speaking to you" thing, unless it is meant to be purely punitive. If the father is worried about his son's soul (my assumption given his Pentecostal beliefs), wouldn't continuing to speak to him be the best thing?
    It would, but for some reason I've never fully understood, there's a certain form of Christians that seem to forget that they are supposed to reach out even more so to those whose souls are in jeopardy, or who have strayed into a bad path. The father likely believed, correctly it would seem, that it would curtail his son from going in what he believed to be a bad direction. I could never do that to my son, or hell, anyone really, but I can understand the thought process that led there.

Living in Virginia, there are several Masonic Temples about the place, and I've been curious about them for a long time myself, especially since I began my studies of our founding fathers, given their extensive connections to the freemasons. Having seen so many temples, I've also seen a wide diversity of people wearing the lapel pins or the tie tacks around here, so it can't be that exclusive.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No group that old is going to be without its holdovers from the old days, when those views were more acceptable. Let's not forget that many of the rules that sexist are in fact also held up by women, just as male stereotypes are played out by many men.

Words mean stuff, though, and it isn't a fraternity if it's mixed gender, just as it isn't a sorority if it's mixed gender. As to whether it is respectful of women or not, I've seen several women with the lapel pin around here, so I don't think it's a staunch opposition, just a matter of tradition that will work itself out over time.

Okay, now for KSigMason, I apologize but you said the wrong words to me when you said you'd answer any questions:

1. What is the main purpose of the Masons?

2. When, and how were the Masons founded?

3. How do you go about joining, or inquiring into the Masons?

4. What organizations do the Masons support?

5. What is the community of the Masons like?

Um, I'll stop there for now, since I don't want to overload you for the moment. I'll have more questions for answering later.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    And what's your personal take on this , apparent, misogyny ?
    What is your take on the apparent "misogyny" of Fraternities at colleges that do not allow women?

Change comes to these things slowly, but it comes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems to me that them ol' masons are frightened of women. The Freemasons also seems a prime target , modern women being curious and all. Best of luck keeping them out.

I don't have any desire to join a sisterhood myself, but I wouldn't stand in the way of guys that do.
    Many of the older guys reject changes. It isn't that they think women are lesser creatures or anything, but "tradition" is a big thing in Freemasonry. It takes a while to change tradition.

It will come, in time. Many of the younger members already speak of the fact that they think it, "is time to allow women as members."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is your take on the apparent "misogyny" of Fraternities at colleges that do not allow women?

Change comes to these things slowly, but it comes.
    I refer you to post #76.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    No group that old is going to be without its holdovers from the old days, when those views were more acceptable. Let's not forget that many of the rules that sexist are in fact also held up by women, just as male stereotypes are played out by many men.

Words mean stuff, though, and it isn't a fraternity if it's mixed gender, just as it isn't a sorority if it's mixed gender. As to whether it is respectful of women or not, I've seen several women with the lapel pin around here, so I don't think it's a staunch opposition, just a matter of tradition that will work itself out over time.

Okay, now for KSigMason, I apologize but you said the wrong words to me when you said you'd answer any questions:

The main purpose of the Freemasons would be differently related by different people.

The first lesson you are taught in Freemasonry is that of Charity, many would say that is the main purpose of Freemasonry. Personally I would say it was, "To make good men better."

Freemasons came from "The Masons" which was a guild that passed on information to initiates in order to continue the stone-working trade. It was a guild like many other, specialized like most others. The guild worked to ensure that none of its members would go hungry and stressed charity to all mankind among it's teachings even then. Using tools that they used in everyday work they tried to make them impress on the mind, to constantly remind them, what they believed to be "wise and serious truths". Their duty to whichever God they believed in, that of industry and hard work, charity, etc.

When Universities became a norm and people were learning Geometry in all its phases (you know Trig, etc) it became necessary to make changes, they decided to begin allowing in tradesmen so that the Guild would survive. However upon changing it to allow the tradesmen and others to enter it, it changed from being a guild to a Fraternity. Many of the same "truths" are passed on and impressed upon the minds (as reminders) of the new members using the same tools. Of course they no longer teach stone working.

To be one, ask one. You must ask to become a Freemason, many lodges are strict on this tradition and will not allow their members to ask a friend to become one.

Public schools, hospitals around the world that provide free care (Shriners are all Freemasons), and many other charities, too many to list here.

It depends in which aspect, meetings tend to go into the boring. But I have met some good friends that I otherwise would never have known otherwise. Once I even spoke with Bob Dole (who happened to be filming a commercial nearby to our lodge).

Um, I'll stop there for now, since I don't want to overload you for the moment. I'll have more questions for answering later.
    Well, I did my best to answer for him.
    Last edited by No1tovote4; 01-07-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exactly what is wrong with having all male or all female groups?

Men and women are different. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having groups to support each.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post

The Freemasons make good men better, but we cannot make bad men good. We instill leadership, morals, and values using tools of operative Masons today in a philosophical way. Freemasonry is "a peculiar system of morality, veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols"

The Freemasons that we see today was founded when Grand Lodge of England formed in 1717 which are said to have formed from medieval stone-guilds. The original Grand Lodges asked the Grand Lodge of England to form and then became their own independent body. Our lore says the Freemasons go back to the building of King Solomon's Temple, but in all honesty we cannot say that for sure. We cannot even say if there is a Knights Templar and Masonic.

You just did. To be one, ask one. Look up your State's Grand Lodge and find the local Loge's meeting time and go down there a little earlier than the time and just ask. The members should be very accommodating

We have our own children organizations that do a lot to support. Depending on the body there are certain charities we have. In the Blue Lodge, it's really up to the independent Grand Lodge or local Lodge to do their own thing. My Lodge does college scholarships, we also do philanthropy (soup kitchens, highway clean-up, blood drive, etc). In the York Rite the big charity is the Knights Templar Eye Foundation. The Scottish Rite has a Schizophrenia charity. The Shriners have their children's hospital.

From what I've seen (not just in my Lodge elsewhere) that within you are very close with the Lodge. The wives are still very involved with the Lodge even though they cannot attend. We help each other out in anyway we can (ie A brother got in an horrible accident, I took the next day off, and helped the wife; the Lodge helped pay one of the bills they needed help with). You get even closer and meet more Brothers when you join the other bodies (Shriners, Scottish, York Rites, or OES). It's different from state to state, but even in Idaho we are diverse on jobs, race, religion, but we are all good friends. My Lodge we just had a major shift in age of officers; now the average age of the officers is 35.

I hope I answered your question, if not let me know. Keep firing them at me if you have them.
    Last edited by KSigMason; 01-08-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    "A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."

Traveling Templar - 14MAY2017

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you wear antlers and suspenders on your socks ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wanna buy some ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wanna buy some ?
    dude, your sex life is your own business. Leave the rest of us out of it.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LMAO! No. I wear the Master's apron, jewel, and a top hat.
    "A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."

Traveling Templar - 14MAY2017

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds a rage for parties. You dudes toke or thing ?