Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    News update - heard on LBC radio, & your media must be 'breaking' with it ...

... All people returning to the US from Europe must self-isolate upon arrival back in America.
    I just listened to President Trump's address about the steps America will take to tackle the effects of the virus in America (relayed here via BBC, LBC, no doubt Sky News, too).

Trump confirmed A BAN for travel from mainland Europe to America. To last just 30 days .. ?

What surprises me is that travel from the UK is exempted !! I have to say, I think that's a mistake.

Travel from Italy to the UK is now banned. We are NOT applying any equivalent ban to other European countries. This means that (a) infections are likely to increase, here, because we're permitting people to reach our shores from badly infected countries (Italy excepted), and (b) .. therefore, the likelihood of UK people reaching the US with infections correspondingly increases.

What if someone travels from mainland Europe to the UK, maybe spends a couple of days here (symptom-free ?) ... then travels on to the US ?

I've heard story after story of people arriving at Heathrow and Gatwick, and NOT being tested, upon arrival !!!

So, no. I do NOT approve of the UK being exempted from the Europe ban. It is a mistake, in my view.

** BREAKING **

According to LBC, just announced, apparently Tom Hanks has been tested positive for Covid-19. I think he's abroad at present.
    Last edited by Drummond; 03-11-2020 at 08:35 PM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

4. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

By the way, as is what they habitually do, LBC took commentary on this from others, just after Trump stopped speaking. First up was an American who I believe was a Democrat (don't know her name). She was unrelentingly critical of Trump. Apparently, according to her, Trump doesn't care about people, and just views this as an economic and immigration issue, with no other considerations entering his head ... a suggestion, implied, that Trump is devoid of compassion or caring for anyone on a human level.

This is what invariably happens in our media. If Trump is given rein to express himself, our people make sure it's 'counterbalanced' with something propagandist against him.

Disgusting. Trump can never do anything good, in their worldview. If he might be seen to have done, DEMONISE IMMEDIATELY ...

6. Likes Abbey Marie, SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeNewsSux View Post
    Great video.

There's no surprise here at all. The EU sees it as a foundling policy to never impede travel of EU citizens moving from one Member State to another. They're dogmatically fanatic about it. Truth, realism, practicality, being open to adaptation to events .. the EU is deaf and blind to all of it. Dogma, in their (increasingly diseased !) world, overrides all.

No wonder the UK's people, as a whole, decided to get shot of the EU ... sanity prevails here !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Keep in mind that this was based on a fun post from an American in Italy. What freaks me out a bit is that it aligns with what some informed, but alarmist writers were say two months ago:

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2...nce-yesterday/
    Did you notice how closely clustered on the graph, most countries' infection progressions were ? Pretty much overlapping, with just a couple of exceptions (from those exercising greater controls).

I noticed it earlier, on British TV, on Peston's programme on ITV. The same graph, same trends, noted and discussed on that very programme.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

So from what I’m reading so far, only thing he said was that no Europe to Us? I’m not seeing the UK exemption.

I’ll watch when I get home.

Aside, Tom Hanks and wife both positive. NBA games cancelled. Player tested positive

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    I just listened to President Trump's address about the steps America will take to tackle the effects of the virus in America (relayed here via BBC, LBC, no doubt Sky News, too).

Trump confirmed A BAN for travel from mainland Europe to America. To last just 30 days .. ?

What surprises me is that travel from the UK is exempted !! I have to say, I think that's a mistake.

Travel from Italy to the UK is now banned. We are NOT applying any equivalent ban to other European countries. This means that (a) infections are likely to increase, here, because we're permitting people to reach our shores from badly infected countries (Italy excepted), and (b) .. therefore, the likelihood of UK people reaching the US with infections correspondingly increases.

What if someone travels from mainland Europe to the UK, maybe spends a couple of days here (symptom-free ?) ... then travels on to the US ?

I've heard story after story of people arriving at Heathrow and Gatwick, and NOT being tested, upon arrival !!!

So, no. I do NOT approve of the UK being exempted from the Europe ban. It is a mistake, in my view.

** BREAKING **

According to LBC, just announced, apparently Tom Hanks has been tested positive for Covid-19. I think he's abroad at present.
    I just saw the exemption in Fox article. I agree, not a good idea. Dow futures agree, down over another 1000 pats.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

12. Likes Drummond liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

14. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Denmark follows Italy in lockdown:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/11/denma...7/?ito=cbshare

16. Thanks Abbey Marie, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Great... Wisconsin now has SIX cases, yesterday it was THREE, so it's DOUBLED, and 2 of them now are in Dane Co, where I have to go to McFarland to my Ma's apartment to install an in home security camera system.

I think this crap is going to show up EVERYWHERE at some point. Our society is just too connected and mobile, and people just are NOT going to ALL, NOT, travel.

And I suppose tomorrow night I'll hear that there's TWELVE cases in WI, and then the next day, TWENTY FOUR, and so on, as the lily pad example Kathy posted purports.

Not seeing any end to this shit as it is now... getting pretty weird. This could alter the world's power structure for decades to come. One thing America better learn and fast is that outsourcing virtually ALL our medical supplies and drug manufacturing to CHINA, simply out of GREED, was a really, REALLY, STUPID thing to do, and we better bring that back home, like right frickin' now.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 03-11-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Great... Wisconsin now has SIX cases, yesterday it was THREE, so it's DOUBLED, and 2 of them now are in Dane Co, where I have to go to McFarland to my Ma's apartment to install an in home security camera system.

I think this crap is going to show up EVERYWHERE at some point. Our society is just too connected and mobile, and people just are NOT going to ALL, NOT, travel.

And I suppose tomorrow night I'll hear that there's TWELVE cases in WI, and then the next day, TWENTY FOUR, and so on, as the lily pad example Kathy posted purports.

Not seeing any end to this shit as it is now... getting pretty weird. This could alter the world's power structure for decades to come. One thing America better learn and fast is that outsourcing virtually ALL our medical supplies and drug manufacturing to CHINA, simply out of GREED, was a really, REALLY, STUPID thing to do, and we better bring that back home, like right frickin' now.
    Not being a jerk, it would go from 12 to 144, then 144 x 144, I’m on break, not doing math. It’s rising exponentially. See Italy.

That’s where the President’s focus on numbers today is so upsetting. Time is being wasted to buy the time needed.

19. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Some lol'd when I brought up the Spanish flu as something to look at with this China virus outbreak, not so funny, others are starting to look at what was done then:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ns/4979405002/

Keep in mind, there wasn't much in the way of airplanes in 1918, though there was a war. Big mistake made by federal government, they wanted to get sailors 'over there,' so they kept the bad news quiet, making viral missiles out of our troops.

Meanwhile, some local areas had more success than others.

21. Thanks Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Not being a jerk, it would go from 12 to 144, then 144 x 144, I’m on break, not doing math. It’s rising exponentially. See Italy.

That’s where the President’s focus on numbers today is so upsetting. Time is being wasted to buy the time needed.
    Aaaahh, OK, it's multiplying exponentially, not simply doubling. I should have caught that.

Heard on the news this morning the virus is in 44 states, and there's 1,300 cases and 36 deaths in America so far, and in almost every case, the infected had caught it in Europe. Now Trump is going to shut down travel to and from Europe, which by new information is now the epicenter of the pandemic.

23. Thanks Kathianne, Drummond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Aaaahh, OK, it's multiplying exponentially, not simply doubling. I should have caught that.

Heard on the news this morning the virus is in 44 states, and there's 1,300 cases and 36 deaths in America so far, and in almost every case, the infected had caught it in Europe. Now Trump is going to shut down travel to and from Europe, which by new information is now the epicenter of the pandemic.
    It can't hurt, but it would have really helped to flatten the curve when he did China. Most of the 'European' based cases came from Americans returning from Europe. They still can go back and forth, at least until Europe stops accepting flights.

UK is exempt, Europe hasn't banned travel, with few exceptions-Italy and Denmark thus far. So, no stopping folks from wherever, if able to get to UK from flying out. Drummond said this from the get go.

Stopping games or at least audiences is good. Same with concerts, etc., but these seem mainly to have been private decisions.

I also heard this evening, that some younger people are getting sick. Not sure how sick or anything about underlying illnesses, so waiting to hear more on this.

Something I do think folks need to consider, this isn't something that is for the next few weeks or even months. Now that it's out there, it will keep recurring. Hopefully an effective vaccine in year to 18 months.

25. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post