Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default Anybody Ever Heard of KRATOM?

The stuff sounds very interesting and is gaining popularity. I'm thinking of ordering some myself.

Anyone here ever heard of it, used it, know anyone that's used it?

KRATOM SCIENCE: https://www.kratomscience.com/strain...#comment-51878

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'd never heard of it, but I'd certainly be cautious:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...m/art-20402171

Kratom is also used at music festivals and in other recreational settings. People who use kratom for relaxation report that because it is plant-based, it is natural and safe. However, the amount of active ingredient in kratom plants can vary greatly, making it difficult to gauge the effect of a given dose. Depending on what is in the plant and the health of the user, taking kratom may be very dangerous.
    Side effects and safety concerns

Although people who take kratom believe in its value, researchers who have studied kratom think its side effects and safety problems more than offset any potential benefits. Poison control centers in the United States received about 1,800 reports involving use of kratom from 2011 through 2017, including reports of death. About half of these exposures resulted in serious negative outcomes such as seizures and high blood pressure. Five of the seven infants who were reported to have been exposed to kratom went through withdrawal.

Kratom has a number of known side effects, including:

• Weight loss
    • Dry mouth
    • Chills, nausea and vomiting
    • Changes in urine and constipation
    • Liver damage
    • Muscle pain

Kratom also affects the mind and nervous system:

• Dizziness
    • Drowsiness
    • Hallucinations and delusion
    • Depression and delusion
    • Breathing suppression
    • Seizure, coma and death

Kratom takes effect after five to 10 minutes, and its effects last two to five hours. The effects of kratom become stronger as the quantity taken increases. In animals, kratom appears to be more potent than morphine. Exposure to kratom has been reported in an infant who was breastfed by a mother taking kratom.
    Many of the problems that occur with pain medications happen when these drugs are used at high doses or over a long period of time. It's not known exactly what level of kratom is toxic in people, but as with pain medications and recreational drugs, it is possible to overdose on kratom.
    Research shows little promise

At one time, some researchers believed that kratom might be a safe alternative to opioids and other prescription pain medications. However, studies on the effects of kratom have identified many safety concerns and no clear benefits.
    Kratom has been reported to cause abnormal brain function when taken with prescription medicines. When this happens, you may experience a severe headache, lose your ability to communicate or become confused.

In a study testing kratom as a treatment for symptoms of opioid withdrawal, people who took kratom for more than six months reported withdrawal symptoms similar to those that occur after opioid use. Too, people who use kratom may begin craving it and require treatments given for opioid addiction, such as naloxone (Narcan) and buprenorphine (Buprenex).
    Kratom also adversely affects infant development. When kratom is used during pregnancy, the baby may be born with symptoms of withdrawal that require treatment.
    In addition, substances that are made from kratom may be contaminated with salmonella bacteria. As of April 2018, more than 130 people in 38 states became ill with Salmonella after taking kratom. Salmonella poisoning may be fatal, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has linked more than 35 deaths to Salmonella-tainted kratom. Salmonella contamination has no obvious signs, so the best way to avoid becoming ill is to avoid products that may contain it.
    Kratom is not currently regulated in the United States, and federal agencies are taking action to combat false claims about kratom. In the meantime, your safest option is to work with your doctor to find other treatment options.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'd never heard of it, but I'd certainly be cautious:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...m/art-20402171
    Yeah... that's like with ANY drug... like when you see all these drugs advertised on TV, they go ON and ON about the "possible" side effects.

My neighbor has been doing this Kratom for about 3 months now and he's had ZERO side effects, and it's got him off the oxy, which he was severely addicted to. He swears by it.

And I can see why big pharma doesn't like it. It's helping people get off THEIR DRUGS so they're losing money, so there's going to be lobbying and a smear campaign. They did the same thing with pot.

A Mississippi Task Force is Spreading Propaganda Across the State to Ban Kratom

https://www.kratomscience.com/2019/0...to-ban-kratom/

So IDK... but I think I'm going to try it.

There's been people chewing the Kratom leaves for virtually centuries.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Yeah... that's like with ANY drug... like when you see all these drugs advertised on TV, they go ON and ON about the "possible" side effects.

My neighbor has been doing this Kratom for about 3 months now and he's had ZERO side effects, and it's got him off the oxy, which he was severely addicted to. He swears by it.
    Everyone has to make their own choices. I'm not big on any supplements-natural or not. Heck, other than antibiotics I really hate any meds and even antibiotics I avoid because I want them if I'm super sick or a limb is in danger of being amputated.

Because there's no regulation-kind of puts it in the same basket as illegal drugs, you never know what's in them.

OTOH, if you find a company you trust, make your choices.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

5. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Everyone has to make their own choices. I'm not big on any supplements-natural or not. Heck, other than antibiotics I really hate any meds and even antibiotics I avoid because I want them if I'm super sick or a limb is in danger of being amputated.

Because there's no regulation-kind of puts it in the same basket as illegal drugs, you never know what's in them.

OTOH, if you find a company you trust, make your choices.
    Yeah it's not like it's new. It's been around for centuries. They're just having a stink about it now because it's gaining popularity, and it's actually helping people kick the habit of big pharma drugs, and anything that cuts into their profits, oh boy, they can't have that, even if their drugs are highly addictive and have been killing people by the thousands, they don't care, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS, BABY...

7. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The only drug I'm on is life baby.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Just found out it is ILLEGAL to even POSSESS in the state of Wisconsin... of freakin' course... it's a FELONY... so, that's that for me. Not going to even think about it.

It's actually illegal in 6 states.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-16-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

The stuff sounds very interesting and is gaining popularity. I'm thinking of ordering some myself.

I have, and even have some. It keeps pretty well so long as you don't keep it open.

It's kind of like taking opiates aka pain killers, but yet not. It affects the brain similarly, but in a smaller way. And there are TONS of types from many countries. I have only tried the "Green Bali" which is a nice mellow one. I take like a tablespoon at a time, and next time not for another 4 hours if you choose to. Some go overboard with like 10 tablespoons at a time. I see no need to abuse it, so, don't listen to everything you read about dosages. If you try, start small like that. And don't get the "extracts", IMO, as they are supposed to be much much stronger.

It's went back and forth in the legality department but too many complaints to the DEA and it never was banned. I do think like 5 or 6 states its illegal anyway. Being it's a drug as such, most credit card companies won't let the merchants use them, not even Paypal. So some take Venmo and other weird sources.

I used "Pharmacy Dropout", which is a funny catchy name, but they're reliable from what I read. - http://pdobotanicals.com/ and the one I bought - http://pdobotanicals.com/products/green-bali/

Stay in small amounts like that and you'll be fine. I also wouldn't use it more than a few days. I don't take chances anymore on getting addicted to anything, so maybe that's just me. But that's what brought me to the product way back when - as apparently it's been used in China to help people having opiate withdrawals. And it worked! But it's also good for other things, and the many strains are beneficial for many things. But again, like anything in life - all about moderation. I've never had more than but a few doses at a time, and never but for a few days. Then I typically don't touch it though. But it does help with getting energy at minimum.

But as Kath pointed out, it does have some things to watch out for - and likely from people abusing it taking too much, or by taking it daily for lengths at a time. Well hell, beer, cigs, they all do the same thing in time.

Another thing - it is HORRIBLE tasting. Either swallow it and quickly wash with something like OJ to get rid of the taste, or figure something else out. It's nasty! LOL
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

11. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Just found out it is ILLEGAL to even POSSESS in the state of Wisconsin... of freakin' course... it's a FELONY... so, that's that for me. Not going to even think about it.

It's actually illegal in 6 states.
    I suppose I should have read the rest before replying. All that typing for nothing. Please MOVE so that my writing doesn't go to waste. Thanks!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

13. Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I suppose I should have read the rest before replying. All that typing for nothing. Please MOVE so that my writing doesn't go to waste. Thanks!

Yeah maybe I shouldn't say this but, I already mentioned it anyway, my neighbor uses it and he loves it. He's severely addicted to oxycodone, so he runs out and then has nightmarish withdrawals. But since he's started this stuff, he doesn't get withdrawal symptoms at all. So there's a place not far from here in Iowa that sells it over the counter, all the different types, different powders and pills, but yeah, that FELONY stuff scares the crap otta me. I think I'm just going to steer clear of it, even though I really would have liked to try some. Lots of people do, and I don't think Johnny law around here even gives a damn... who knows... I'm just not one to take too many chances with something that could literally get me thrown in prison.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 08-16-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I will not touch anything like that. I am sensitive to cocaine but
    felt no effects of vicodin 250mg after 3 surgeries. Darvon flat
    knocked me out! Took it for a muscle insert tear behind my ear in football.

Everyone's body chemistry is different.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I will not touch anything like that. I am sensitive to cocaine but
    felt no effects of vicodin 250mg after 3 surgeries. Darvon flat
    knocked me out! Took it for a muscle insert tear behind my ear in football.

Everyone's body chemistry is different.
    I'd say so. I can't take opiates. I turn into Superman. I'll tear up a gym and go all day lifting heavy.

Then you wake up next day and your body is sending a message -- don't bother trying to get up So you suffer, or take more oxy. So I just never take it. Keeps me real
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

18. Likes Elessar liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I found out the cocaine sensitivity when it was used to numb
    my central cortex to begin the procedure to irrigate my sinuses.
    I did not feel a thing, but heard the snap when they broke into the sinuses
    and use saline to clear them.

Doc told me it was over and I could leave with cotton stuffed up inside until the
    bleeding stopped. Sat up on the gurney and fell flat on my back. It took 4 hours to
    sleep that off.

Far better than driving an ice covered I-79 from Morgantown WV back to Fairmont WV.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

20. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I'd say so. I can't take opiates. I turn into Superman. I'll tear up a gym and go all day lifting heavy.

Then you wake up next day and your body is sending a message -- don't bother trying to get up So you suffer, or take more oxy. So I just never take it. Keeps me real
    Yeah... I'll have to say, when I take my oxycodone, I can go like a machine.

22. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

They just added this to the National Survey for Drug Use and Health. I guess its the new thing. It was interesting to research it.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” —. Morticia Addams

24. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post