Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default What Is This New Phenomenon, Have to *PROCESS* Something?

I keep hearing this now, seems to be the new buzz word, people need to "process" this and/or "process" that. What is that now? These terms crop periodically and they always leave me wondering, what is this new thing that people need to do now that they never needed to do before? "Closure" is another example. Do people's brains not "process" something the instant it happens? Mine does. And when something is over, isn't it over, as in closed?

I think these new types of buzz words are invented by the media mainly, which again would be majority leftists. They love to rebrand things so that they can fit them into their agenda, and in this case, the left has been focusing on everything bad, and are in the victim and grieving business. It's what they apparently believe is their winning strategy.

PROCESS(think about it)... CLOSURE(it's over)... GRIEVING PROCESS(you're sad)... GAY(homo)... UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANT(illegal alien)... FREEDOM FIGHTERS(terrorists)... on and on... it's the left's word game.

I've never played the left's word game, and I don't think I'll start anytime soon.

I think there's also a grow chasm between city people and country people. It's two totally different lifestyles, one being very progressive and willing to go with the flow and open to change, and the other quite independent, conservative and wants to be left alone. This is also a growing problem.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I need some time to process your post before I reply.

3. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darin View Post
    I need some time to process your post before I reply.
    'aight ---------------

5. Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    'aight ---------------
    I'll have to roll this around in my head a minute or two ....
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

7. Thanks darin thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I'll have to roll this around in my head a minute or two ....
    Well that's ok... you're special... you're still a winner even if it takes you awhile... here, have a petting puppy while you wait for your grief counselor to come and walk you through the processing process and holds your hand while you cry... then we have a coloring book ready for your safe place so you don't stress out.

WTF is all that, Gunny? Why do people need that nowadays? Is everyone a pussy?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Reaction: OMG we had a baby!

After processing, I was able to think about what I saw, felt and experienced - and found the words to detail the experience. "OMG we had a baby" became:

We arrived at the hospital within 8 minutes from her water breaking.

My wife grew up the son of an engineer. John, her father, is the epitome of punctual, correct-answers-only, there MUST be a solution, nothing is random or unknowable. 26 June was the due-date for my and my wife's first child and I smirked to realize my soon-to-be-born daughter was very much her mother's - and by extension her grandfather's - daughter.

Four hours later my wife was dilated to 5cm and the Doctor was satisfied with her progress towards birth. My wife's doctor had a colleague with her watching the show. That doctor turned to me and said "It should be another 5 hours or so, if you want to catch a nap"

"Doctor" I cautioned him "My wife's family. All her sisters so far have given birth REALLY fast. I mean it's so fast the sisters' doctors mentioned to my wife - as she was present in some of the births - to be sure and tell her doctor about the phenomenon."

'Well, I am a doctor and I am telling you it will be about five hours. I've seen it hundreds of times and that's how fast these things happen."

Mary had her epidural done and things had calmed down a little bit.

Forty minutes later my wife woke me as I snoozed in the chair beside her bed.

"Darin....honey.."

I stumble awake

"Honey" Mary asks "Will you get the nurse for me? I have this weird pressure."

The nurse came in smiling "Okay, lets have a look"

The next 30 seconds are a blur. I remember the nurse examining my wife and gasping. The nurse ran to the door and yelled for somebody to get somebody else. A few seconds later in a flurry of scrubs, papers, towels, gloves my wife's primary doctor rushed in and took a look, followed closely by her 'experienced' associate - Dr. 5-More-Hours.

"Dad, grab a leg!" She instructed me.

Now, not unlike how the baby was put IN there, I stood there with Mary's right leg over my shoulder - the first nurse had her other leg and the doctor - in what resembled a plastic welding mask - stood ready to catch.

10. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Well that's ok... you're special... you're still a winner even if it takes you awhile... here, have a petting puppy while you wait for your grief counselor to come and walk you through the processing process and holds your hand while you cry... then we have a coloring book ready for your safe place so you don't stress out.

WTF is all that, Gunny? Why do people need that nowadays? Is everyone a pussy?
    WTH is a petting puppy? My idea of a "grief counselor" is a 6 pack or two of Corona. In the bottle. With lime. I'm kinda whiny about my beer ...
    Last edited by Gunny; 10-06-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have issues with your process problem......... [:-)

Just kidding, but I like a lot of modern jargon. I think a lot of new words serve to slow things down or blur the edges. If you have "issues," you aren't saying something is bad or a problem, but that it's complex, needs time...and processing. I hadn't heard "process" but I love it and mean to adopt that slowdown directly.

I loved "grok" (to understand something at a deep level) but no one knows that word now. "I can't, I'm hung up," is so useful to slow things down without having to specify the issue that I use it constantly.

All the same, I agree one should be careful about new words. Some of them are propaganda. The worst is transgender, that assumes yes to the question at issue, whether people can really change sex. I make a decision not to use some words. "Gay," for instance, I decided against in 1982 and never use it. Nothing gay about AIDS or perversion, I decided.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    WTH is a petting puppy? My idea of a "grief counselor" is a 6 pack or two of Corona. In the bottle. With lime. I'm kinda whiny about my beer ...
    A puppy to pet.... and Corona and lime is fantastic, just make sure it's not Corona Lite.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    All the same, I agree one should be careful about new words. Some of them are propaganda. The worst is transgender, that assumes yes to the question at issue, whether people can really change sex. I make a decision not to use some words. "Gay," for instance, I decided against in 1982 and never use it. Nothing gay about AIDS or perversion, I decided.
    I'm right with ya there, pard. I remember when they started that GAY business. I think I was like a sophomore in high school, around 70, 71. Before they dreamed up this GAY word we called them HOMOS, or fags, or queers, because that's what they ARE. I couldn't understand why anyone would call a homo, GAY, then, and I don't understand it now so I don't. There's nothing HAPPY about homos. I know it's the leftists now and their name change game to make something BAD sound all warm and fuzzy, so just the name of it doesn't turn you off towards it. I think game is for STUPID people that are easily influenced and just follow along unthinking with the change, sheeple.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-07-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

The new "catch phrase" of the day is, "let's have a conversation."

What makes these newly coined phrases so generic is how EVERYONE will use them, as if they ALL got the same memo or were all preprogrammed to speak the SAME.

Group speak... goes right along with group think in my book.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 10-07-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The new "catch phrase" of the day is, "let's have a conversation."

What makes these newly coined phrases so generic is how EVERYONE will use them, as if they ALL got the same memo or were all preprogrammed to speak the SAME.
    Darn! How are you grokking all these new words before I even hear them? "Let's have a conversation" sounds ominous, probably comes from the old dangerous Southern idiom, "I wanted to visit with you a little."

That means trouble. John Malkovich uses the visit phrase well as a company boss in the movie "Deepwater Horizon." Both participants are from New Orleans and you can see the fix-it guy understands the boss is there to put on the pressure to procede with oil production and quit the tests. He gets his way, but the rig blows up.

What do you think "Let's have a conversation" means?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mundame View Post
    Darn! How are you grokking all these new words before I even hear them? "Let's have a conversation" sounds ominous, probably comes from the old dangerous Southern idiom, "I wanted to visit with you a little."

That means trouble. John Malkovich uses the visit phrase well as a company boss in the movie "Deepwater Horizon." Both participants are from New Orleans and you can see the fix-it guy understands the boss is there to put on the pressure to procede with oil production and quit the tests. He gets his way, but the rig blows up.

What do you think "Let's have a conversation" means?
    I assume to those using it, it means they're willing to discuss a certain subject.

But what gets me is how they ALL will use the same phrase, as if they ALL were programmed to do so. The pundits, the analysts, the political figures that are interviewed, just talking heads in general, they hear something and then it appears one right after another just repeats it like a robot. I think it's almost creepy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Memes, Dr. Dawkins called them: contagious words or concepts passed from person to person like viruses. Language is very contagious.

Here's a new word I'm dubious about: privilege. "Check your privilege" was going around for awhile but it's completely incomprehensible as well as obviously hostile, whatever it meant, so I think it may be going out of fashion. But privileging used as a verb is on the rise. You privilege something, meaning to prefer and promote it, I think.

This from a conservative (rather heavy) magazine this morning: "But the world was entering an age of science, which privileged any doctrine that could claim the unquestioned authority of quantitative disciplines."

I don't know about that usage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

"Let's have a conversation": We on the left will explain to you why you are a gun-loving, Bible-thumping, racist, Neo-Nazi so you can immediately acquiesce to our fascist demands.

20. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post