Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    Damn you must be completely drained, it's interesting so did you feel quite neglected growing up, I mean depression tends to shut people down and so its possible your childhood needs weren't met by family. Then later in life you repeated the cycle do you get neglected in the marriage because its about the illness all the time so your needs are secondary or does she take treatment so things are pretty good?

My dad is clinically and possibly criminally insane. I had a very strange childhood as well, he was like charles manson. he has a Psychopath mind.
    No, never felt neglected. My dad's OCD manifested itself in his book collection and my mom's depression didn't really kick in until I was an adult. I'm sure it was there in my youth to some degree, but she was a working mom so I didn't notice.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    No, never felt neglected. My dad's OCD manifested itself in his book collection and my mom's depression didn't really kick in until I was an adult. I'm sure it was there in my youth to some degree, but she was a working mom so I didn't notice.
    That's good, and you seem happy all the time online so I assume with the wife and step daughter that its handled as healthy as those things can be.

Do you have brothers or sisters or an only child>?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

That's good, and you seem happy all the time online so I assume with the wife and step daughter that its handled as healthy as those things can be.

Do you have brothers or sisters or an only child>?
    Wife has it pretty much under control, though her shrink has been dicking around with her meds so some days are better than others, but most are good. Better living through chemistry! As I stated, her daughter is doing time, she is untreated and continues to make wrong choices. We did all we could for her until she turned 18, then she split and there was nothing we could do.

I have sister, derpressed and a drinker.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wife has it pretty much under control, though her shrink has been dicking around with her meds so some days are better than others, but most are good. Better living through chemistry! As I stated, her daughter is doing time, she is untreated and continues to make wrong choices. We did all we could for her until she turned 18, then she split and there was nothing we could do.

I have sister, derpressed and a drinker.
    Your an atheist right? So what keeps you going and belieivng in good things for yourself and family?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Your an atheist right? So what keeps you going and belieivng in good things for yourself and family?
    More of an Agnostic, but not far from the Atheist border.

What keeps me going...

I love my wife. She makes me happy and I make her happy. I have two daughters of my own whom I am very proud of, they make me smile every time I think of them. I love my step daughter, regardless of her troubles. I've never been a pessimist. I just do what needs to be done, do my best, and let the rest take care of itself. I figure that as long as I do my best, there is nothing more to be done and no reason to worry.

My mom and I have a great relationship. My dad and I had a good relationship which, after taking care of a couple of issues between us, turned out great for the last fifteen or twenty years of his life. My sister and I... Well, let's just say we're working on it.

So, what keeps me going? Love, optimism, and having no regrets. You can't change the past, you can only move forward.

Oh, and I listen to Jimmy Buffett.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What keeps me going...

I love my wife. She makes me happy and I make her happy. I have two daughters of my own whom I am very proud of, they make me smile every time I think of them. I love my step daughter, regardless of her troubles. I've never been a pessimist. I just do what needs to be done, do my best, and let the rest take care of itself. I figure that as long as I do my best, there is nothing more to be done and no reason to worry.

My mom and I have a great relationship. My dad and I had a good relationship which, after taking care of a couple of issues between us, turned out great for the last fifteen or twenty years of his life. My sister and I... Well, let's just say we're working on it.

So, what keeps me going? Love, optimism, and having no regrets. You can't change the past, you can only move forward.

Maybe I should listen to Jimmy Buffet.....I will try that prescription

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Maybe I should listen to Jimmy Buffet.....I will try that prescription
    You'd be surprised...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What keeps me going...

When I read what you had to say I thought "here's a guy that knows what true hardship and emotional suffering are like." You are a very strong individual and your wife and family are very fortunate to have you in their lives. Not too many men would be that understanding and would prob'ly look for the nearest exit out of the situation.

I commend you for sticking it out and continuing to love our wife. She doesn't have her mental woes because she has chosen to have them. They are just a part of her that showed up in her genes. Far too many people jump ship nowdays at the first sign of trouble. It's reassuring to know there are individuals such as yourself that stick around and deal with it.....
    Last edited by Binky; 10-15-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    "Find the cost of freedom buried in the ground." Crosby, Stills and Nash......