Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Just Heard

that thousands of Marines are on a carrier that is now in the Persian Gulf. More should be known shortly, according to FOX.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    that thousands of Marines are on a carrier that is now in the Persian Gulf. More should be known shortly, according to FOX.
    These numbers aren't even possible. A Nimitz class carrier can carry about 5800 people most of whom are Navy Sailors who actually operate the ship, along with Naval flight crews. A Ford class carrier can accomodate about half that many people.

If you really packed those Marines in like sardines you might get 500 on either carrier class.

Totally inefficient way to get Marines around, and we have other ships much more suited to the task.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    These numbers aren't even possible. A Nimitz class carrier can carry about 5800 people most of whom are Navy Sailors who actually operate the ship, along with Naval flight crews. A Ford class carrier can accomodate about half that many people.

If you really packed those Marines in like sardines you might get 500 on either carrier class.

Totally inefficient way to get Marines around, and we have other ships much more suited to the task.
    Just told you what I heard, feel free to call FOX.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

5. Thanks STTAB thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

President Trump just announced that the USS Boxer destroyed an Iranian drone and encouraged all other countries to likewise protect their interests in a like manner.

That's it so far.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Just told you what I heard, feel free to call FOX.
    I haven't heard the report , but on reflection they were probably talking about an entire carrier group which could conceivably include several troop transport ships , but still 5,000 Marines is a lot of jarheads.

4999 more than any of them could count to be exact. @Gunny

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

TAKING ON TEHRAN US ‘to deploy 500 troops to expanding Saudi Arabian air base’ to front-up to Iran threat

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9530486/us-deploy-troops-saudi-arabia-iran-tensions/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STTAB View Post
    I haven't heard the report , but on reflection they were probably talking about an entire carrier group which could conceivably include several troop transport ships , but still 5,000 Marines is a lot of jarheads.

4999 more than any of them could count to be exact. @Gunny
    I don't know where you got the numbers, as I wrote what I heard, (thousands).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Seems the USS Boxer had 2k Marines on it. It's some sort of assault ship, just going through the international waters. Anyways, it is an escalation. Seems the thousands, was 2k. and their 'breaking news' coming was a sort of mix up?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I don't know where you got the numbers, as I wrote what I heard, (thousands).
    Clearly I made them up in my head LOL I don't know why I was under the impression that your OP said 5000 Marines

13. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

If someone can watch the President talking about this incident, I'd appreciate it. It was given as an opening remark to a ceremony where a Dutch, (Netherlands) man was giving a US flag from the D-day beach to the Smithsonian to display. The Smithsonian had it, but it was given for auction and this guy bought it and has lent it back.

What I'm asking someone who has followed Trump quite a bit, did he seem a bit distracted after giving the remarks about USS Boxer? He seemed so to me, but I'll admit to not being all that familiar with his cadence in speech. I've usually watched him at rallies and such, his 3rd person references always throw me. None of that in this, more like his really good foreign speeches, but distracted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

@CSM and @Gunny

It seems to me with Iran admitting/boasting about taking another ship and now this drone incident, there is a problem that needs response? That is what I think, (imagine?) in Trump's demeanor.

As he said, it would be better if all involved in the Strait could step up, but most can't. It seems to me there isn't enough time to put together some sort of 'coalition' to protect/respond? Then again, wth do I know?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

These sons a bitches are absolutely BEGGING for a conflict. How STUPID can they be?

=============

Iran state TV: Iranian forces seize foreign oil tanker, crew

https://www.apnews.com/2d94f2b673b74940b26db541e9eeb262

Trump Says U.S. Ship Shot Down Iranian Drone in Strait of Hormuz

The president’s comments come after Iranian forces said they had seized a foreign tanker

https://www.wsj.com/articles/iran-seizes-foreign-tanker-it-accuses-of-smuggling-fuel-11563449352
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 07-18-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default You don't have to take my word for it. But, as a retired Navy Veteran

There is nothing unusual about the U.S.S. Boxer, and more Marines being there.

Every day of every year. There is a U.S. Military presence at sea in the Med, Indian Ocean, and the Persian Gulf.

The Marines are part of what is called a DEPLOYED MARDIV.....Marine Division, who routinely go on deployments around the World, as part of the Entire U.S.Navy Fleet Deployment schedules, arranged annually to both Maintain Training, and Keep a READY FORCE in place IF NEEDED.

The USS BOXER is an Amphibious Ship that transports All kinds of Amphibious Vehicles, as well as MARINES, and WE have many of them around the World.

By the way. I speak from personal experience, and you can ask Gunny for his input as well.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

18. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter, Gunny, STTAB, Russ thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Iran does not have anything to withstand an actual attack from a MEU. I need to find my USS Boxer coffee mug and Zippo for the duration The USS Boxer was the last ship I deployed on

2200 Marines. 2000 Sailors. three ships. The Boxer is an LHD (4) and we had everything and I mean everything (neither confirmed nor denied to start our own private little war with anyone. VBSS (visual boarding search and seizure) is a specialty practiced over and over until some dumbass Cpl breaks his ankle coming off a fastrope. He might get the rest of the day off

Oh. For those that don't know, the USS Boxer is a small carrier in layman's terms. We had AV8B Harriers because they could take off laterally (runway) but the deck was too short to land other than vertical. We had a squadron of Supercobras, one of which carries more payload than a WWII B-17. Tanks. Amtraks, 3 LCACs (militarized hovercraft). SEALS, RECON. Infantry Bn. Basically the works.

For a one-off strike then defend against Iran? You can go ahead and check that box now.
    Last edited by Gunny; 07-18-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

20. Thanks icansayit, Russ thanked this post
    Likes High_Plains_Drifter liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Iran does not have anything to withstand an actual attack from a MEU. I need to find my USS Boxer coffee mug and Zippo for the duration The USS Boxer was the last ship I deployed on

2200 Marines. 2000 Sailors. three ships. The Boxer is an LHD (4) and we had everything and I mean everything (neither confirmed nor denied to start our own private little war with anyone. VBSS (visual boarding search and seizure) is a specialty practiced over and over until some dumbass Cpl breaks his ankle coming off a fastrope. He might get the rest of the day off

Oh. For those that don't know, the USS Boxer is a small carrier in layman's terms. We had AV8B Harriers because they could take off laterally (runway) but the deck was too short to land other than vertical. We had a squadron of Supercobras, one of which carries more payload than a WWII B-17. Tanks. Amtraks, 3 LCACs (militarized hovercraft). SEALS, RECON. Infantry Bn. Basically the works.

For a one-off strike then defend against Iran? You can go ahead and check that box now.
    I don't think that ship was meant to go fight Iran, but with the drone, that is 2 incidents in 2 or 3 days. I think there's going to be a response soon. As I said above, I'm no Trump expert, but I've not seen him anything but focused in his speeches, even those I really haven't cared for. He seemed very distracted to me at today's ceremony.