Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I bought the "As Seen On TV" Power XL 6-quart electric pressure cooker a while back. It was $75 on sale at Thiesen's. It's great for soup, takes like 20 minutes for beef soup, a little longer for chicken. It's excellent for many things, but not so much for rice in my opinion. For pork ribs and pork loins, they get very succulent and juicy after an hour. You can also use it like a crock pot and slow cook things.

But if I could do it over, I'd but the 10-quart model from the website. It's like $150 but you get some accessories, like this basket, which would help when making pork ribs, because they fall apart and you can't hardly get them out of the pot, they get to swimming in all the grease that the pressure cooker boils out of them ribs. And it's much larger, the 6-quart size fills up quick once you start adding meat, taters, onions, carrots, and celery to a soup.

YouTube has many stove top pressure cooker explosion videos, but I think people either boiled them dry or used too much heat, boom. But this Power XL is said to have many safety devices. First, it has pressure and temp sensors, and you can't unscrew the lid while it's pressurized. Then it has a mechanical valve like other pressure cookers. I feel safe using it. But you must be careful in taking the lid off, the steam can severely burn. I usually wait twenty minutes for the steam to go down anyway. The food stays warm for hours in the pot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GravyBoat View Post
    I bought the "As Seen On TV" Power XL 6-quart electric pressure cooker a while back. It was $75 on sale at Thiesen's. It's great for soup, takes like 20 minutes for beef soup, a little longer for chicken. It's excellent for many things, but not so much for rice in my opinion. For pork ribs and pork loins, they get very succulent and juicy after an hour. You can also use it like a crock pot and slow cook things.

But if I could do it over, I'd but the 10-quart model from the website. It's like $150 but you get some accessories, like this basket, which would help when making pork ribs, because they fall apart and you can't hardly get them out of the pot, they get to swimming in all the grease that the pressure cooker boils out of them ribs. And it's much larger, the 6-quart size fills up quick once you start adding meat, taters, onions, carrots, and celery to a soup.

YouTube has many stove top pressure cooker explosion videos, but I think people either boiled them dry or used too much heat, boom. But this Power XL is said to have many safety devices. First, it has pressure and temp sensors, and you can't unscrew the lid while it's pressurized. Then it has a mechanical valve like other pressure cookers. I feel safe using it. But you must be careful in taking the lid off, the steam can severely burn. I usually wait twenty minutes for the steam to go down anyway. The food stays warm for hours in the pot.

Having been looking at various blogs and reviews on electric pressure cookers for some time, your review seems to point out the main flaw I've seen with the XL, where the valve is located.

Those accessories can easily be found on amazon or ebay.

Here's one site that illustrates some of the differences:

http://topreviews.best/main-review/p...gWMRoC9svw_wcB

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Having been looking at various blogs and reviews on electric pressure cookers for some time, your review seems to point out the main flaw I've seen with the XL, where the valve is located.

Those accessories can easily be found on amazon or ebay.

Here's one site that illustrates some of the differences:

http://topreviews.best/main-review/p...gWMRoC9svw_wcB
    I've also seen some reviews saying the valve was a problem, but I've never had a problem with it. You're not supposed to monkey with it once its turned on anyway. The electric pressure cookers have a pressure switch, thermostat, and physical valve, so they're supposed to be unable to explode. My cooker's similar to Jim's in the first couple of posts, it looks like the same guts, but the brand I have has an inner pot that comes out, has a non-stick coating not stainless steel. There's the stove top model reviewed at that link, the Fagor brand, here's a YouTube of one that exploded. I think they had the flame too high, overheated.

I found this story with video about a lawsuit for the Power XL. From the story, it seems they took the lid off while it was still under pressure (although it's not supposed to do that). Then there's the problem of superheating, where if you expose something really hot to the cooler ambient air, even if you shake something under pressure, it can explode; this is also a major problem in foundry work. No pressure cooker can be taken lightly, it should not be moved and certainly not shaken when under pressure.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/06/24...e-cooker-case/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Jim and I have the same. I don't like non-stick coatings, over time just don't know what you're ingesting. It's my own issue, but that's that. I like stainless for that reason and find it very easy to clean and with a bit of this: https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-F...friend+cleaner very easy to keep looking like new.

As for the comparisons, easy enough to tell the differences between electric and non, imo. XL and IP are both electric.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default First dinner with InstantPot

On my June visit to Chicago, while staying a couple days with my youngest, we walked to this bar-b-que place about a block from his apartment. In the Diner's video, I saw his place! Anyways just came across these video clips from Food Network on Smoque! Best barbeque I've had! Seems there's some agreement:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/restauran...bq-videos.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Jim and I have the same. I don't like non-stick coatings, over time just don't know what you're ingesting. It's my own issue, but that's that. I like stainless for that reason and find it very easy to clean and with a bit of this: https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-F...friend+cleaner very easy to keep looking like new.

As for the comparisons, easy enough to tell the differences between electric and non, imo. XL and IP are both electric.
    Watching this show about Drive-ins and Diners. Guess I''l have to put on my good jean shorts cuz I'm getting real hungry looking at this stuff.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

7. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Watching this show about Drive-ins and Diners. Guess I''l have to put on my good jean shorts cuz I'm getting real hungry looking at this stuff.
    Food Network - Guy Fieri - "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives" <---- that show rocks!! And makes me hungry every time.

9. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Food Network - Guy Fieri - "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives" <---- that show rocks!! And makes me hungry every time.
    Yeah, I think that was it. I wish I was wherever he was this afternoon. I'd be on the sofa with a toothpick by now.

BUT you'll be happy to know I went to the Mexican restaurant and had huevos rancheros and a mess of those refired beans you love so much.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

11. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Gunny! Diners, Drive-Ins is ding a segment on an Albuquerque joint, Bocadillo's. Sounds yummy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Gunny! Diners, Drive-Ins is ding a segment on an Albuquerque joint, Bocadillo's. Sounds yummy.
    We have lots of diners here. I=40 through this stretch is what was Route 66. The food is different than in San Antonio, but it's generally awesome in the diners. They got old school juke boxes too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

We have lots of diners here. I=40 through this stretch is what was Route 66. The food is different than in San Antonio, but it's generally awesome in the diners. They got old school juke boxes too.
    Ah, San Antonio! I thought you were in Albuquerque.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Ah, San Antonio! I thought you were in Albuquerque.
    I am. I'm from San Antonio. Mexican food is as different as people. Depends where you live. I LOVE Tex-Mex. You go outside of Texas though, and it's just not the same. Some states people think Taco Bell is Mexican food. And I HATE white boy tacos. Hard shell with hamburger, lettuce cheese and some kinda sauce. Here they put green chili on everything.

A taco to me is carne guisada on a giant flout tortilla with some shredded cheese and pico de gallo.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I am. I'm from San Antonio. Mexican food is as different as people. Depends where you live. I LOVE Tex-Mex. You go outside of Texas though, and it's just not the same. Some states people think Taco Bell is Mexican food. And I HATE white boy tacos. Hard shell with hamburger, lettuce cheese and some kinda sauce. Here they put green chili on everything.

A taco to me is carne guisada on a giant flout tortilla with some shredded cheese and pico de gallo.
    Sometimes it seems we have a 'failure to communicate. LOL! I saw the place on Triple D, thought maybe you'd tried it. Seems that the owners are very involved in community, especially with kids. The food looked amazing!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Sometimes it seems we have a 'failure to communicate. LOL! I saw the place on Triple D, thought maybe you'd tried it. Seems that the owners are very involved in community, especially with kids. The food looked amazing!
    LOL. When I'm watching a food channel you can just guess how bad my cable provider sucks.

I like this show because the guy is always going different place. I find people interesting. What they eat also says a lot about them. Has no bearing on my previous comment about not wanting to cook all day. If I can go out and get it and got little change in my pocket?

I don't get out much, ma'am. I'll explain in private.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

LOL. When I'm watching a food channel you can just guess how bad my cable provider sucks.

I like this show because the guy is always going different place. I find people interesting. What they eat also says a lot about them. Has no bearing on my previous comment about not wanting to cook all day. If I can go out and get it and got little change in my pocket?

I don't get out much, ma'am. I'll explain in private.
    Gotcha!

Well if you got some change, you might want to try them out. Prices look very good. You can see the menu and prices at the site. They also have a lunch program for the Indian reservation. As I said, special section on 'giving back.' That's how I like to see 'social services' from the community to the community.

http://www.bocadillosnm.com/p/welcome.html

BOCADILLOS SLOW ROASTED
    3600 CUTLER AVENUE NE ABQ NM 87110
    GREEN JEANS FARMERY
    (505) 910-8905

MONDAYS
    CLOSED

TUESDAY-THURSDAY
    8AM-3PM

FRIDAY & SATURDAY
    8AM-9PM

SUNDAYS
    8AM-3PM

BOCADILLOS SLOW ROASTED
    INDIAN SCHOOL ROAD NW ABQ NM 87104
    (505)200-0053

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post