Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
So you're against the governmentally imposed monopoly on education as well?

There is of course no such monopoly. You're free to send your child to public/private school OR home school them. I guess it's true that the government mandates that you can't simply not educate your children, but that's probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
My granddaughter is in the 7th grade and my grandson is in the 4th. Neither of them have ever attended a public school (in charter schools) and their schools have no cafeteria. All parents have to provide lunch; no ifs, ands or buts. If they forget to bring it/make it, there are no backup lunches...they do without. One of the first lessons these schools teach is personal responsibility and that they are not there to coddle anyone. I propose that all cafeterias be closed.

PS...my grandson won first place last night at his science fair, so missing a lunch here or there has not affected his ability to learn and excel.
First of all congrats to your grandson.

Second of all, I think we all know there is a difference between missing an occasional lunch and not having lunch on a regular basis. So your anecdote, while cute, doesn't apply.