Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    I've imagined that in areas of public controversy, among Christians and/or the "pagans", a Pope could just quote or cite appropriate scripture without a word of commentary.
    And let folks deal with it.
    At that point it's not about "what the Pope said" it's up to people whether or not they will simply be honest about what the text says or if they are going to twist into pretzels trying to make it fit their agendas
    Our former Pastor’s sermons consisted of going through the entire Bible verse by verse and explaining it. And would tell us, don't just take my word for it, read it yourself and decide what it means. I think that is very healthy.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

2. Thanks revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Our former Pastor would go through the entire Bible verse by verse and explain it, as his sermons. And would tell us, don't just take my word for it, read it yourself and decide what it means. I think that is very healthy.
    There was this old guy that was on tv real early in the morning, show called "Shepard's Chapel" I believe, and that's what he would do, read the Bible word for word, and then stop and explain exactly what he just read. I used to like watching that show.

4. Thanks Abbey Marie, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

As I understand it, the Pope is the "Shepherd of the Catholic Church." Which means he has to interpret and spread the word of God to his followers.
    The average age of Catholic parishioners has skyrocketed over the years. Many churches are literally dying out. Enrollment in Catholic schools has dropped dramatically. The Pontiff is trying to appeal to young people and draw them back into the Church.
    The practices of the Catholic Church (and other hard line religions) are long overdue for an update and overhaul.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    As I understand it, the Pope is the "Shepherd of the Catholic Church." Which means he has to interpret and spread the word of God to his followers.
    The average age of Catholic parishioners has skyrocketed over the years. Many churches are literally dying out. Enrollment in Catholic schools has dropped dramatically. The Pontiff is trying to appeal to young people and draw them back into the Church.
    The practices of the Catholic Church (and other hard line religions) are long overdue for an update and overhaul.
    The Catholic church is B-O-R-I-N-G. The Episcopal Church (which are Catholics minus whichever Catholic rules they didn't like) is boring. Dog and pony shows. My mother decided when I was about 10 we were going to become Episcopal because my uncle's wife decided they were. I could see the flaw in THAT reasoning even at 10. I used to piss her off because I called her Auntie Terri when she is Mexican and the other kids called her Tia Teresa.

In contrast, I LOVED those old Southern Baptist tent revivals my grandfather would take me to. Bunch of men, women and kids in short sleeve shirts and skinny ties and dress pants in a tent in the Texas morning sun. Standing room only! They were a hoot. I'm surprised I kept a straight face. Those preachers would be getting so worked up they'd be turning beet red and just working the crowd Eternal damnation in Hellfire and brimstone unless you repent NOW, brothers and sisters People couldn't wait to give a donation to save their souls. And Hell, I was about 6 years old and that crap entertained me. Somebody should have known something was wrong THEN

I have this idea God doesn't look approvingly on some of the churches out there and I'm not a fan of organized religion. My God isn't so full of hate as others seems to be.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The Catholic church is B-O-R-I-N-G. The Episcopal Church (which are Catholics minus whichever Catholic rules they didn't like) is boring. Dog and pony shows. My mother decided when I was about 10 we were going to become Episcopal because my uncle's wife decided they were. I could see the flaw in THAT reasoning even at 10. I used to piss her off because I called her Auntie Terri when she is Mexican and the other kids called her Tia Teresa.

In contrast, I LOVED those old Southern Baptist tent revivals my grandfather would take me to. Bunch of men, women and kids in short sleeve shirts and skinny ties and dress pants in a tent in the Texas morning sun. Standing room only! They were a hoot. I'm surprised I kept a straight face. Those preachers would be getting so worked up they'd be turning beet red and just working the crowd Eternal damnation in Hellfire and brimstone unless you repent NOW, brothers and sisters People couldn't wait to give a donation to save their souls. And Hell, I was about 6 years old and that crap entertained me. Somebody should have known something was wrong THEN

I have this idea God doesn't look approvingly on some of the churches out there and I'm not a fan of organized religion. My God isn't so full of hate as others seems to be.
    Or Hats. Why do clergy wear outrageous hats? Seems the taller the hat, the closer to God, eh?

-Abbey

8. Thanks Gunny, High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Or Hats. Why do clergy wear outrageous hats? Seems the taller the hat, the closer to God, eh?

That was a total turn off. Those goofy robes and hats. In the Episcopal church, the first half is the show. Same show as last week. Everyone going through the ritual. Then they send the kids to Sunday school and the adults have church for 1/2 hour. Only thing that made sense to me is they had Dixie Creme donuts after the service

Seriously, I don't remember hearing a single sermon in the Episcopal Church. It's like they spray you with attention repellent at the door.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Or the MONEY... I never got the reason why you had to give MONEY to a CHURCH to be HOLY.

And my son, whom I no longer speak with, that became a super Christian told me he was going to start TITHING. He was going to give 10% of his income right off the top to the CHURCH. When I asked him why, he didn't have a good answer other than the Bible says he should do it. When I asked him if what he was telling me was that he felt he could BUY his way into heaven, he didn't have a good answer again. He couldn't explain the connection between MONEY and GOD and this making you HOLIER.

All this big church, big MONEY stuff turns me off. It reminds me of this... this is perfect... up to 1:35 is exactly how I feel...

Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-23-2018 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    Or the MONEY... I never got the reason why you had to give MONEY to a CHURCH to be HOLY.

And my son, whom I no longer speak with, that became a super Christian told me he was going to start TITHING. He was going to give 10% of his income right off the top to the CHURCH. When I asked him why, he didn't have a good answer other than the Bible says he should do it. When I asked him if what he was telling me was that he felt he could BUY his way into heaven, he didn't have a good answer again. He couldn't explain the connection between MONEY and GOD and this making you HOLIER.

All this big church, big MONEY stuff turns me off. It reminds me of this... this is perfect... up to 1:35 is exactly how I feel...

You don't give money to the church to be Holy. You give to support the House of the Lord.

I don't know how anyone else's churches are, but the last one I attended the money paid the rent for one thing, and the Pastor's salary. There was a slush fund for emergencies. For instance, if your house burnt down between the church and the members acting individually, you pretty much got covered until you got back on your feet. Food, clothes, there was a vacant house the church owned next door to the Pastor's.

And the Baptist church ( and I mean old school ones -- I've only been to one of those contemporary what we call "hippy" churches once)is very vocal and clear that you ain't buying yourself a spot in Heaven. If your gift doesn't come from the heart, leave your wallet in your pocket.

My grandfather was the Superintendent of Sunday Schools and a Deacon. I know ALL the rules and how to break most of them
    Last edited by Gunny; 05-23-2018 at 08:23 AM.

13. Thanks Abbey Marie, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

You don't give money to the church to be Holy. You give to support the House of the Lord.

I don't know how anyone else's churches are, but the last one I attended the money paid the rent for one thing, and the Pastor's salary. There was a slush fund for emergencies. For instance, if your house burnt down between the church and the members acting individually, you pretty much got covered until you got back on your feet. Food, clothes, there was a vacant house the church owned next door to the Pastor's.

And the Baptist church ( and I mean old school ones -- I've only been to one of those contemporary what we call "hippy" churches once)is very vocal and clear that you ain't buying yourself a spot in Heaven. If your gift doesn't come from the heart, leave your wallet in your pocket.

My grandfather was the Superintendent of Sunday Schools and a Deacon. I know ALL the rules and how to break most of them
    And it supports missions.

-Abbey

15. Thanks Gunny, revelarts thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

And it supports missions.
    Ours sent out missionaries to Africa. When they found out I'd been there a few times (the wife had a big mouth) they asked if I wanted to go. I was like I ALREADY did my "missionary" service over there and NO WAY would I step foot on that continent without being loaded to gills with weaponry. Bibles may have powerful words but you can't shoot them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I know why... I just don't like to see these big televangelists on TV with their massive multi million dollar operations... I think it's bad, and the preachers dipping into it living lavish lifestyles in huge mansions... how is that HOLY, or how is that the HOUSE OF THE LORD?

Not in my book. The Bible teaches you to be humble.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Ours sent out missionaries to Africa. When they found out I'd been there a few times (the wife had a big mouth) they asked if I wanted to go. I was like I ALREADY did my "missionary" service over there and NO WAY would I step foot on that continent without being loaded to gills with weaponry. Bibles may have powerful words but you can't shoot them.
    What... you never seen a FULLY SEMI AUTOMATIC ASSAULT RIFLE WITH A 72 SHOT CLIP? ---------
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-23-2018 at 11:04 AM.

several homes in the American west and one in the UK
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    No man is supposed to either take away or add too the words in the Bible.

The Pope is making crap up, speaking as though he knows God better than the words in the Bible... that's blasphemy, and coming from the Pope, it's actually worse than that.
    The Holy Bibles is not the end all and say all of the word, except for the heretics among the evangelicals, fundamentalists, and Pentecostals. While they are all Christian if they witness Christ as their Lord and Savior, those groups have bad theology.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JakeStarkey View Post
    The Holy Bibles is not the end all and say all of the word, except for the heretics among the evangelicals, fundamentalists, and Pentecostals. While they are all Christian if they witness Christ as their Lord and Savior, those groups have bad theology.
    You're entitled to your opinion, however flawed it may be.

21. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    well gabby, I'm not sure that the prophets, apostles or Jesus ever said that, if the meetings get boring and the teachings out of step with the times. then change up what we've taught and spice it up a bit to keep members a comin' in.
    And put on a better show boys! for for the young people... update and overhaul.

This scripture comes to mind:
    John 6:65-68 He (Jesus) went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.” From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.“You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve. Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”

No need to be "boring" on purpose but it's not a show or a regular social club.
    Frankly the churches in the west have had a pretty good run without the type of OUTSIDE persecution the early churches had. (becasue they were so popular?) Seems like were in the twilight of that run. some in the Churches will compromise the teachings of God in an attempt to be more popular. But a few will simply sick with Jesus becasue they have come to believe he is the holy one of God and has the words of eternal life.
    Last edited by revelarts; 05-23-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

23. Thanks High_Plains_Drifter thanked this post