Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Interesting. One quarter of Soviet losses in WWII were Ukrainian. Russians forced Ukrainians to speak only Russian. So that's a turn about is fair play thing. I guess no one wants to lose their ethnicity.

It looks as though Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union since WWII, and prior to that split between Russia and Poland. Must have some nice real estate there for everyone to want to take it.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Interesting. One quarter of Soviet losses in WWII were Ukrainian. Russians forced Ukrainians to speak only Russian. So that's a turn about is fair play thing. I guess no one wants to lose their ethnicity.

It looks as though Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union since WWII, and prior to that split between Russia and Poland. Must have some nice real estate there for everyone to want to take it.

Ukraine never was a country, untill Lenin and Co ruined Russian Empire and starts to draw new borders. So Lenin, practically, gave a birth to Ukraine. And as far as I know, nobody forced to speak Ukrainians only russian. But now Ukraine made some laws, that restrict to use russian on TV, and somwhere else.
    Last edited by Polite Russian; 03-16-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polite Russian View Post
    Ukraine never was a country, untill Lenin and Co ruined Russian Empire and starts to draw new borders. So Lenin, practically, gave a birth to Ukraine. And as far as I know, nobody forced to speak Ukrainians only russian. But now Ukraine made some laws, that restrict to use russian on TV, and somwhere else.
    Ukraine was a country. Ukraine declared independence from Russia in 1991 and Russia did nothing. It was formally recognized by Boris Yeltsin as an independent nation on Dec 25, 1991. The Soviet Union was officially dissolved on 26 Dec 1991. Almost every country in the World recognized Ukraine's independence. Therein lies Russia's problem. It was recognized by the world as a sovereign nation, and has a permanent seat on the UN Security Council which was arranged by the US and the Soviet Union when the UN was first organized.

Lenin was the one that annexed Ukraine to the Soviet Union. When he died, Stalin basically starved Ukraine to death by taking all the wheat from them. They kept resisting his communist rule so he basically destroyed the population. Stalin was a nut case as bad or worse than Hitler. He just killed anyone that opposed him.

There's a history here http://www.historyplace.com/worldhis...ide/stalin.htm Just one of the things I read.

Are chechens muslims?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Oh, and I thought you were referring to WWII Nazi's not Neo-Nazi's being used as freedom fighters. Poor choice of "freedom fighters" if you ask me. I think I'd prefer someone else. Neo-Nazi's here in the US are dumbasses and discriminated against by just about everyone. Nobody takes them seriously. Well, except the Jews. They are usually sounding the alarm about something they consider antisemitic like it's the end of the world.
    Last edited by Gunny; 03-16-2018 at 05:03 PM.