Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Wildwood NJ? We used to call it Childwood...I worked near Avalon and in Cape May for quite a while
    Yessir! I grew up in NJ and have only been there like twice I think, maybe 3 times. It was too damn far south from central NJ and I didn't think it was all that great. No need to go past Belmar, Keansburg or Seaside! Why "Childwood"? Too many kids? That's what I remember, it was too damn crowded.

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    That's awful! One of my very best friends is a lady techie! She is helpful
    and makes me look like an idiot with computer stuff (which I am in some ways)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I just thought it sounded funny. Hell, if I didn't like girls I wouldn't know what to do with most of my miserable moments since about 72.

But women do that shit to you. You spend hours trying to solve a problem and they come up with "Well, why don't you hook that up to the other thingybobber?" Thanks. Shoot me now. After you STFU. I'm the mechanical genius around here, dammit.

Payback is you should see them trying to put water in the radiator.
    I gotta say this quietly, in case my wife peeks online and sees this. She wants to act at times like she knows the techie stuff, and I bite my own tongue and lips until they bleed to keep from laughing. I know she means well. But I hate when there is an issue, say with connection the DirecTV to the WIFI, and I'm already on it for about an hour, and can't figure it out -and she comes walking in and starts tossing out idea after idea like I'm an idiot.

When I was putting that computer together, and couldn't figure out why the switch wouldn't turn the computer off. Women are different. INSTANTLY she went to "return EVERYTHING and start over". I was like WTF? You need to troubleshoot woman!! She saw me put in the DVD burner earlier, so she starts asking about whether or not that could be causing the issue. Now mind you, I had installed it at that point, but installed neither the SATA cable nor the power.

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Yessir! I grew up in NJ and have only been there like twice I think, maybe 3 times. It was too damn far south from central NJ and I didn't think it was all that great. No need to go past Belmar, Keansburg or Seaside! Why "Childwood"? Too many kids? That's what I remember, it was too damn crowded.
    Okay. Talk about thread kill. Y'all are bragging about growing up in NJ?
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Jeff thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Not really like that, but similar. They're no angels either. But there have been repeated issues with things in the house, and the landlord always tries to fix it himself, and it's downright hilarious the way he fixes things! Anything the save a penny. And he almost always refuses to get a professional in there. We're talking toilet issues, sink issues, leak issues, flooding in basement. In return, Janeen is kind enough to call the authorities on them for inspections, and I don't blame her. Then this guy just tells them they need to leave! LOL That's not how you evict, and you need a reason to evict in NJ, not just that they called the health department on you. But yes, this guy has came into the house unannounced many times. The basement has a small storage area cordoned off and locked, which is his, and he seems to think that gives him authority to enter whenever he pleases. The landlords are a middle aged Chinese couple, a very, very cheap couple. So Janeen and hubby cost them money. That's a part of being a landlord though, and these things aren't stuff they broke, it's just crappy things that went bad over time.
    To put up with all that crap, the rent had better be waaaaay under market. That's the main reason I had to get out of the I-95 corridor (VA to ME). Any housing that met my standards was $3000+ per month. I even tried the live in NH and work in MA dodge, and even that wasn't so good. I have stayed in places that the landlord used for storage, but used that as a negotiating point for lower rent given that I wasn't being given "full use" of the property. If the rapport has fallen to health department complaints, they may as well push for rent abatement for the days the premises are deemed inhabitable. It looks like there's no goodwill left, so there's nothing to lose by squeezing every nickel possible out of the situation.

I once had a landlord that thought because he was an attorney that he could treat people any way he wanted. The solution to that was obvious. I filed a complaint with a useless state consumer affairs department. I actually did that as a trap. I'm sure he knew that agency was toothless. I was hoping to use that to bolster a planned ethics complaint with the Florida Bar if he had made a false statement to them. I also used a reference checking company to see if he would make false disparaging remarks against me. He didn't fall for either trap, but knew I was about to file an ethics complaint with the Florida Bar. He finally gave me every penny of my deposit back with an angry condescending letter.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Okay. Talk about thread kill. Y'all are bragging about growing up in NJ?
    Hey, don't knock the tri-State area, it was pretty cool. Jersey has a lot more to offer than a lot of other places. Believe it or not, there are more parks in NJ than in just about any state in the nation. Lots of families. There's just a 50 square mile are in the north east portion that is kinda gross, you just have to ignore that area and drive through. On any given day it was easy to be in Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, Connecticut, Maryland and even NoVa. We have the mafia, Jimmy Hoffa contest to find his buried body, the crappy NY Giants and Jets, Great Adventure, Atlantic City & a whole lot of memories of things that cannot ever be spoken about!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    To put up with all that crap, the rent had better be waaaaay under market. That's the main reason I had to get out of the I-95 corridor (VA to ME). Any housing that met my standards was $3000+ per month. I even tried the live in NH and work in MA dodge, and even that wasn't so good. I have stayed in places that the landlord used for storage, but used that as a negotiating point for lower rent given that I wasn't being given "full use" of the property. If the rapport has fallen to health department complaints, they may as well push for rent abatement for the days the premises are deemed inhabitable. It looks like there's no goodwill left, so there's nothing to lose by squeezing every nickel possible out of the situation.

I once had a landlord that thought because he was an attorney that he could treat people any way he wanted. The solution to that was obvious. I filed a complaint with a useless state consumer affairs department. I actually did that as a trap. I'm sure he knew that agency was toothless. I was hoping to use that to bolster a planned ethics complaint with the Florida Bar if he had made a false statement to them. I also used a reference checking company to see if he would make false disparaging remarks against me. He didn't fall for either trap, but knew I was about to file an ethics complaint with the Florida Bar. He finally gave me every penny of my deposit back with an angry condescending letter.
    I hate to be my usual non-sarcastic self, but the landlord has the right to walk in when and where ever they please anywhere I have ever lived. Oh, and you'd have been just screwed in FL.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

When I say they aren't angels, I mean that they are often behind on their rent, and then they push the issue the more these people refuse to properly fix things, and then my brother in law ends up fixing most of it himself, or using rent money to hire someone.

The rent is lower than average, but you get what you pay for!! Try the prices in NYC or in Westchester where I'm at. It makes so much more sense to buy outright and at least make a profit at the end. 1 bedrooms in the tri state can go anywhere from 750 in some places, all the way up to like 2k for really really nice places, up to like 3k for rental homes and very large 2 bedroom apartments. But even though you're living in a comfy place, after 15 years you ain't got shit to show for it. I can't wait to get outta dodge in like 7-10 years at the very latest. We'll have paid a lot, but at least when I move we will have some money ready.

But as to landlords, one needs to know the laws for which they live in REAL well. It can get real tricky. My last landlord refused to give our deposit back, and had also never placed our deposit in a separate account. First I won that in small claims - NOTHING they said matters after that and they have no claim in NY. Then they wouldn't pay, and wanted to refile on me in my city. We had a friend, who was an attorney, freeze their bank accounts. They called that evening to settle.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I hate to be my usual non-sarcastic self, but the landlord has the right to walk in when and where ever they please anywhere I have ever lived. Oh, and you'd have been just screwed in FL.
    NY/NJ they must give 24 hours notice, unless it's an emergency entrance, like a flood into a neighboring apartment, police issue or something else that cannot wait.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I have Florida landlord-tenant law darn near memorized. However, the rapport with my landlord here in Texas is just the opposite. He lives on the West coast and within reason, I do everything I can to prevent anything that might cause him grief. Furthermore, I pay below market rent for an impressive property in a great city. I don't want to own because I hope to move to Austin after my sons graduate high school. The corporate culture in D/FW is too short-term profit focused where Austin's is more intellectually focused.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...s/0083.53.html

The 2015 Florida Statutes
    <center>Title VI
    CIVIL PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE</center>
    <center>Chapter 83
    LANDLORD AND TENANT</center>
    <center>View Entire Chapter</center>
    83.53 Landlord’s access to dwelling unit.—(1) The tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter the dwelling unit from time to time in order to inspect the premises; make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements; supply agreed services; or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, or contractors.
    (2) The landlord may enter the dwelling unit at any time for the protection or preservation of the premises. The landlord may enter the dwelling unit upon reasonable notice to the tenant and at a reasonable time for the purpose of repair of the premises. “Reasonable notice” for the purpose of repair is notice given at least 12 hours prior to the entry, and reasonable time for the purpose of repair shall be between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. The landlord may enter the dwelling unit when necessary for the further purposes set forth in subsection (1) under any of the following circumstances:(a) With the consent of the tenant;
    (b) In case of emergency;
    (c) When the tenant unreasonably withholds consent; or
    (d) If the tenant is absent from the premises for a period of time equal to one-half the time for periodic rental payments. If the rent is current and the tenant notifies the landlord of an intended absence, then the landlord may enter only with the consent of the tenant or for the protection or preservation of the premises.

(3) The landlord shall not abuse the right of access nor use it to harass the tenant.
    History.—s. 2, ch. 73-330; s. 5, ch. 87-195; s. 4, ch. 93-255; s. 446, ch. 95-147.

Last edited by tailfins; 03-20-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Yes, I should have stated it was something spelled out in any lease - but cannot override state law. Landlord/Tenant law can be drastically different from state to state.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

I have Florida landlord-tenant law darn near memorized.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...s/0083.53.html
    Sure. Now define "harassment" and "right of access" in a FL court. Trust me. Me and the FL judicial system go back a ways and have an intimate relationship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sure. Now define "harassment" and "right of access" in a FL court. Trust me. Me and the FL judicial system go back a ways and have an intimate relationship.
    Some states are what they call "tenant friendly" and others are "landlord friendly".

Look at NJ. These nitwits where they rent to my sister have limited options to get them out, even though the original lease ended and they have been on a month to month lease for a very long time now. They need a "reason" to get rid of you. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard, but it's true!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

It says 12 hours notice right there in black and white. I never had to test your premise because the threat of filing an ethics complaint against my ex-landlord with the Florida Bar seemed to make him back off. The Florida Bar prohibits attorneys from having dealings that would reflect poorly on the legal profession. That landlord falsely accused me of having a cat and tried to charge me a penalty. I had a pet damage remediation company come in and certify there were no signs of a pet having been on the premises.

Some states are what they call "tenant friendly" and others are "landlord friendly".

Look at NJ. These nitwits where they rent to my sister have limited options to get them out, even though the original lease ended and they have been on a month to month lease for a very long time now. They need a "reason" to get rid of you. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard, but it's true!
    It's surprising, but New Hampshire has the same provision.

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/renting.htm
    Last edited by tailfins; 03-20-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

It says 12 hours notice right there in black and white. I never had to test your premise because the threat of filing an ethics complaint against my ex-landlord with the Florida Bar seemed to make him back off. The Florida Bar prohibits attorneys from having dealings that would reflect poorly on the legal profession. That landlord falsely accused me of having a cat and tried to charge me a penalty. I had a pet damage remediation company come in and certify there were no signs of a pet having been on the premises.
    I'm not saying you were wrong. I've had dealings with the goofiest landlords in the world and only some of them spoke English. Should try an Okinawan landlord on for size. He backed off because he had no grounds. That's quite obvious from what you are saying.

You get caught up in the FL judicial system though and it's all about the $ to them. And landlords usually get away with with their crap. Think about it .. he's a landlord and you're a lowly renter. Most people that rent can't afford the legal fees.

I got into it in Woodbridge, VA with our landlord and he only backed off when I threatened to have Base Housing Authority inspect the dwelling. You get put on BHA's shit list and you're blackballed from any military references to your properties.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I'm not saying you were wrong. I've had dealings with the goofiest landlords in the world and only some of them spoke English. Should try an Okinawan landlord on for size. He backed off because he had no grounds. That's quite obvious from what you are saying.

You get caught up in the FL judicial system though and it's all about the $ to them. And landlords usually get away with with their crap. Think about it .. he's a landlord and you're a lowly renter. Most people that rent can't afford the legal fees.

I got into it in Woodbridge, VA with our landlord and he only backed off when I threatened to have Base Housing Authority inspect the dwelling. You get put on BHA's shit list and you're blackballed from any military references to your properties.
    As you have demonstrated it's all about finding your adversary's point of weakness. I knew the last thing I wanted was to be in court against an attorney, so I hit him at his weakest point: His professional reputation.

19. Thanks Gunny thanked this post