Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taco Junkie View Post
    I've had some pretty bad salsas. Usually some mass produced over processed crap. And some guac's that'd were

Now a simple way to make a great guac is to use ripe avocados (squeeze them just a bit lengthwise and they should give a little but not be squishy). Scoop out the cados into a bowl and add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Squeeze a little fresh lime in. Then I add my favorite salsa - it has tomatoes, onions, peppers and makes mashing easier - I use one Tbsp of salsa for each avocado I used (3 cados = 3 Tbsp of salsa). Mash it up. If it's too hot you can add more avocado or a bit of sour cream (some folks don't want any dairy in their guac as it spoils faster especially when left out). If it's a big batch and not spicy enough I'll add an extra Tbsp of salsa. Chill for 2 hours then serve. You get a salsa that has great texture and color, is fresh and cool but brings a little heat on the back end.
    Salsa just isn't salsa without cilantro. I used to eat in little restaurants around Apache Junction in Phoenix that were staffed by Mexicans, and they made fresh salsa and chips daily, some of the best I've ever had, but they always had cilantro and a touch of garlic in their salsa, great stuff.

That COOKED stuff that comes in a jar is the worst. Salsa shouldn't be COOKED and come out of a jar like tomato sauce. I can't stand that stuff, like Pace. Even WalMart has a good salsa. I find it at the end of their produce cooler in little plastic tubs, it's called "fresh cravings" salsa. I add cilantro to it but otherwise it's pretty darn good.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 01-16-2018 at 11:18 AM.