Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
I am completely against being farmed out to the UN. I did NOT sign a contract agreeing to be merc'd to the highest bidder. I was in fact prepared to refuse to go if we'd gotten stuck going to Bosnia.

My contract says "Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic". I DON'T see "and other countries that don't matter a damn to the aforementioned" in the language.

I know of one Marine Captain that did in fact get court-martialed for refusing to go based on the same justification as I have given. To each his own. THAT was going to be my line in the sand had it happened (there was a chance). Having a French commander just sounds SO wrong to a Marine grunt

I've nothing against joint defense compacts. When I went to Iraq the first time around we had British, French, German, and many other countries who had soldiers who were technically if not actually under US Command, and in fact that's they way it worked in WWII as well, Eisenhower was Allied Supreme Commander, meaning every other countries military answered to him, not just our soldiers.

What I mind is that the UN is completely feckless and the crap rises to the top and they purposely avoid the US having any role in command. Any thinking person might say the country that hosts the UN , funds the majority of the UN , and provides the bulk of the military might of the UN might need to play a significant role in the leadership of the UN, and yet no American has ever been the President of the UN nor the military commander of the UN. Quite the opposite in fact the leadership of the UN literally spits on us at every oppurtunity.