Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Need input on electric guitars......

So both of my boy's want an electric guitar an amp. I have decided I am going to take them up to the music store and let them look and pick out what color and style they want. These will then be put into lay away for Christmas.

What I want to know does anyone have any recommendations as far as brand? But let's keep it on the inexpensive side here, we are talking about a 10 and 12 year old. I refuse to drop $500.00 into a guitar at this point they are beginners. But I want something that will sound good and not be to cheaply made. I am thinking about spending roughly between $200.00 and $300.00 per kid on these, that's including the amp.

I spoke with the owner of the music store we are going to and she told me she could set them up with a guitar and amp for under $200.00 she is also going to sit down with them and show them a few things and let them play a little bit to make sure that's what they really want to do. Of course my youngest is debating between the guitar and a drum set. I can unplug the amp from the electric guitar but I can't unplug the drum set.
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    So both of my boy's want an electric guitar an amp. I have decided I am going to take them up to the music store and let them look and pick out what color and style they want. These will then be put into lay away for Christmas.

What I want to know does anyone have any recommendations as far as brand? But let's keep it on the inexpensive side here, we are talking about a 10 and 12 year old. I refuse to drop $500.00 into a guitar at this point they are beginners. But I want something that will sound good and not be to cheaply made. I am thinking about spending roughly between $200.00 and $300.00 per kid on these, that's including the amp.

I spoke with the owner of the music store we are going to and she told me she could set them up with a guitar and amp for under $200.00 she is also going to sit down with them and show them a few things and let them play a little bit to make sure that's what they really want to do. Of course my youngest is debating between the guitar and a drum set. I can unplug the amp from the electric guitar but I can't unplug the drum set.

yes i have been through this......costco or best buy......my son's sit in the corner ....at least i think that is what is under his pile of clothes.....buy the game rock band the will get more use out of it......

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    yes i have been through this......costco or best buy......my son's sit in the corner ....at least i think that is what is under his pile of clothes.....buy the game rock band the will get more use out of it......
    They have rock band and guitar hero....
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They have rock band and guitar hero....
    yes.....now they want the real thing......ready for guitar lessons....my son found out the real thing is much harder....he has a $500 clothes rack and foot stool...

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yamaha used to sell a cheap-ish (around $200) guitar, but I can't remember the name of it. I don't really keep up with guitar stuff as much as I used to, but you should definitely check out your local pawn shops, you can find a deal in those sometimes (but be warned that you can also get screwed in those too), and go to musiciansfriend.com to get an idea of what's out there.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trinity, I used to own a music store and I have been a musician all my life. I think I can solve your problem with a credible suggestion and advise.

Fender has several outfits that certainly meet your criterion and I strongly recommend that you give Fender your utmost consideration. Their outfits are competitive in price with everybody else including the super cheap stuff. The specifications that Fender insists upon always result in a good sounding, good playing, and reliable product. I would have loved to have their line in my store but I didn't have the $50,000 to get their very cheapest franchise.

I did, however, scour the pawn shops, other stores and other venues to seek out all the Fender products I could find and I always made money reselling them and I always felt good about the quality of the products and the sale.

Under no circumstances should you consider anything that has Esteban or anything like that on the headstock!!!!!!!!!!! There is a lot of unplayable cheap crap out there so be very careful!!!!! I don't know about you, but even $200 is too much to pay for something that simply can't be played!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if your kids eventually give up the desire to play, the Fender stuff can very easily be resold for about what you paid for it.

That's my advise!!!!!!!! Good luck and good day!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Psychoblues; 08-01-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why dont u get them a music teacher first, who can help you find musical equipment cheap.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

marteen, sometimes music teachers have a financial interest in suggestions on equipment beyond their services as "teacher". Having owned a music store with absolute personal interests in product selection by my customers and students and understanding retail in that way I do not recommend the suggestions of most teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    why dont u get them a music teacher first, who can help you find musical equipment cheap.
    I am no longer in the retail music business but I do have a fairly unique ability and desire to offer up credible and uncompensated advise for those aspiring to to a musical endeavor and consideration. I trust that Trinity would desire that kind of uncompensated opinion, don't you think?!?!?!?!?!

6 String Box Guitar Shuffle:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    I have a music teacher in house Gaffer...he plays guitar and drums imagine the money i will save in lessons!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok so we happen to run into a really good deal on an electric guitar from my husbands brother he had a Gibson Baldwin and a amp he sold to us for my oldest sons football visor and $20.00.

My oldest has had this guitar for less then 24 hours and has managed to teach himself the beginning of smoke on the water.

You should see the glow and the passion on this child's face all I can say is wow!

Yeah I know it was supposed to be a Christmas gift but call it a trial period.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Not a bad deal at all! Now, just show them a few power chords and teach them how to read tabilature and you've got a couple punk rockers!
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here are some pics of my son's new guitar .......He loves it! He managed to learn how to play the beginning of Smoke on the water within the first 24 hours and he is now playing the beginning of some other songs not sure what the names of them are though.

Not a bad deal for a football visor and $20.00.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fantastic!!!!!!!!! Now, what can you do for the other boy at Christmas!!!!!!!! Even this kid will be expecting something, don't you think?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    Fantastic!!!!!!!!! Now, what can you do for the other boy at Christmas!!!!!!!! Even this kid will be expecting something, don't you think?
    The other one is still undecided between guitar and drums I wish he would make up his mind soon.