Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Need input on electric guitars......

So both of my boy's want an electric guitar an amp. I have decided I am going to take them up to the music store and let them look and pick out what color and style they want. These will then be put into lay away for Christmas.

What I want to know does anyone have any recommendations as far as brand? But let's keep it on the inexpensive side here, we are talking about a 10 and 12 year old. I refuse to drop $500.00 into a guitar at this point they are beginners. But I want something that will sound good and not be to cheaply made. I am thinking about spending roughly between $200.00 and $300.00 per kid on these, that's including the amp.

I spoke with the owner of the music store we are going to and she told me she could set them up with a guitar and amp for under $200.00 she is also going to sit down with them and show them a few things and let them play a little bit to make sure that's what they really want to do. Of course my youngest is debating between the guitar and a drum set. I can unplug the amp from the electric guitar but I can't unplug the drum set.
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    So both of my boy's want an electric guitar an amp. I have decided I am going to take them up to the music store and let them look and pick out what color and style they want. These will then be put into lay away for Christmas.

What I want to know does anyone have any recommendations as far as brand? But let's keep it on the inexpensive side here, we are talking about a 10 and 12 year old. I refuse to drop $500.00 into a guitar at this point they are beginners. But I want something that will sound good and not be to cheaply made. I am thinking about spending roughly between $200.00 and $300.00 per kid on these, that's including the amp.

I spoke with the owner of the music store we are going to and she told me she could set them up with a guitar and amp for under $200.00 she is also going to sit down with them and show them a few things and let them play a little bit to make sure that's what they really want to do. Of course my youngest is debating between the guitar and a drum set. I can unplug the amp from the electric guitar but I can't unplug the drum set.

yes i have been through this......costco or best buy......my son's sit in the corner ....at least i think that is what is under his pile of clothes.....buy the game rock band the will get more use out of it......

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    yes i have been through this......costco or best buy......my son's sit in the corner ....at least i think that is what is under his pile of clothes.....buy the game rock band the will get more use out of it......
    They have rock band and guitar hero....
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They have rock band and guitar hero....
    yes.....now they want the real thing......ready for guitar lessons....my son found out the real thing is much harder....he has a $500 clothes rack and foot stool...

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yamaha used to sell a cheap-ish (around $200) guitar, but I can't remember the name of it. I don't really keep up with guitar stuff as much as I used to, but you should definitely check out your local pawn shops, you can find a deal in those sometimes (but be warned that you can also get screwed in those too), and go to musiciansfriend.com to get an idea of what's out there.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trinity, I used to own a music store and I have been a musician all my life. I think I can solve your problem with a credible suggestion and advise.

Fender has several outfits that certainly meet your criterion and I strongly recommend that you give Fender your utmost consideration. Their outfits are competitive in price with everybody else including the super cheap stuff. The specifications that Fender insists upon always result in a good sounding, good playing, and reliable product. I would have loved to have their line in my store but I didn't have the $50,000 to get their very cheapest franchise.

I did, however, scour the pawn shops, other stores and other venues to seek out all the Fender products I could find and I always made money reselling them and I always felt good about the quality of the products and the sale.

Under no circumstances should you consider anything that has Esteban or anything like that on the headstock!!!!!!!!!!! There is a lot of unplayable cheap crap out there so be very careful!!!!! I don't know about you, but even $200 is too much to pay for something that simply can't be played!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if your kids eventually give up the desire to play, the Fender stuff can very easily be resold for about what you paid for it.

That's my advise!!!!!!!! Good luck and good day!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Psychoblues; 08-01-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

*I meant Fender in my post, not Yamaha, although Yamaha's got some great stuff. My first guitar was a Yamaha electric SG copy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, dan, Yamaha is also a very good line that can be trusted "MOST" of the time. Generally, Yamaha specs are high quality and reliable but they do sometimes rely on substandard, in my honest opinion, contractors to fill their low end market merchandise venues.

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    *I meant Fender in my post, not Yamaha, although Yamaha's got some great stuff. My first guitar was a Yamaha electric SG copy.
    I still have a Yamaha SG5A guitar and a Yamaha TA30 amp that I bought in Japan in 1971. I would hold these products up against anybody's equipment. Yamaha also still makes some extremely good low end equipment but it usually takes someone with a background similar to mine to separate the good from the bad in that particular line. Much of their present day low end stuff is unplayable and not resaleable but there are exceptions.

Understanding what low end equipment is and represents, I have found no match for the low end Fender stuff and I have looked at ALL OF IT.

Overall, however, Yamaha is a good bet for quality. I'm just not into betting when it comes to my money. I hope that isn't confusing to you?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    Trinity, I used to own a music store and I have been a musician all my life. I think I can solve your problem with a credible suggestion and advise.

Fender has several outfits that certainly meet your criterion and I strongly recommend that you give Fender your utmost consideration. Their outfits are competitive in price with everybody else including the super cheap stuff. The specifications that Fender insists upon always result in a good sounding, good playing, and reliable product. I would have loved to have their line in my store but I didn't have the $50,000 to get their very cheapest franchise.

I did, however, scour the pawn shops, other stores and other venues to seek out all the Fender products I could find and I always made money reselling them and I always felt good about the quality of the products and the sale.

Under no circumstances should you consider anything that has Esteban or anything like that on the headstock!!!!!!!!!!! There is a lot of unplayable cheap crap out there so be very careful!!!!! I don't know about you, but even $200 is too much to pay for something that simply can't be played!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if your kids eventually give up the desire to play, the Fender stuff can very easily be resold for about what you paid for it.

That's my advise!!!!!!!! Good luck and good day!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll have to second this advice. All my kids played instruments throughout school years, two of them have continued as adults. Let's see, we have piano, drums, cello, viola, trumpet, and 2 guitars. My ex was and is in a band. Bass player. Wouldn't own anything but Fender. When the kids wanted to take up guitar, mind you with experience of work involved in learning an instrument, they got used Fenders. My daughter, the real musician, has since bought her own.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why dont u get them a music teacher first, who can help you find musical equipment cheap.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

marteen, sometimes music teachers have a financial interest in suggestions on equipment beyond their services as "teacher". Having owned a music store with absolute personal interests in product selection by my customers and students and understanding retail in that way I do not recommend the suggestions of most teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    why dont u get them a music teacher first, who can help you find musical equipment cheap.
    I am no longer in the retail music business but I do have a fairly unique ability and desire to offer up credible and uncompensated advise for those aspiring to to a musical endeavor and consideration. I trust that Trinity would desire that kind of uncompensated opinion, don't you think?!?!?!?!?!

6 String Box Guitar Shuffle:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Actually, dan, Yamaha is also a very good line that can be trusted "MOST" of the time. Generally, Yamaha specs are high quality and reliable but they do sometimes rely on substandard, in my honest opinion, contractors to fill their low end market merchandise venues.

I still have a Yamaha SG5A guitar and a Yamaha TA30 amp that I bought in Japan in 1971. I would hold these products up against anybody's equipment. Yamaha also still makes some extremely good low end equipment but it usually takes someone with a background similar to mine to separate the good from the bad in that particular line. Much of their present day low end stuff is unplayable and not resaleable but there are exceptions.

Understanding what low end equipment is and represents, I have found no match for the low end Fender stuff and I have looked at ALL OF IT.

Overall, however, Yamaha is a good bet for quality. I'm just not into betting when it comes to my money. I hope that isn't confusing to you?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Makes perfect sense, Pb. One thing I've heard about Japanese guitars is that the frets are slightly smaller, which might be better for a younger player. For the record, here's pretty much what my Yamaha looks like:

The only difference is the volume knobs look different. But, other than that, that's what it looks like. These days, I mostly play my Ovation acoustic, electric guitars don't work in apartments too well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fantastic, dan!!!!!!! That particular axe is one of the truly good ones in the Yamaha line!!!!!!!! One word of caution, however?!?!??! Yamaha has used several different factories for the production of that model and some are much better than others. Set up is also a problem for the novice player and I don't recommend allowing a novice to attempt it. That said, I have never seen a "bad" copy of that model from Yamaha.

Makes perfect sense, Pb. One thing I've heard about Japanese guitars is that the frets are slightly smaller, which might be better for a younger player. For the record, here's pretty much what my Yamaha looks like:

The only difference is the volume knobs look different. But, other than that, that's what it looks like. These days, I mostly play my Ovation acoustic, electric guitars don't work in apartments too well.
    Excellent suggestion, dan!!!!!!!!!!

This would be a great place to open a bar!!!!:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Fantastic, dan!!!!!!! That particular axe is one of the truly good ones in the Yamaha line!!!!!!!! One word of caution, however?!?!??! Yamaha has used several different factories for the production of that model and some are much better than others. Set up is also a problem for the novice player and I don't recommend allowing a novice to attempt it. That said, I have never seen a "bad" copy of that model from Yamaha.

Excellent suggestion, dan!!!!!!!!!!

This would be a great place to open a bar!!!!:
    Hey, you drink enough and anyplace is a good place to open a bar! I'll have a rum and coke!

I'm happy with that Yamaha. The only complaint I have is that it's very heavy, so if you're playing it with a strap, after 15 minutes or so, your shoulder gets really tired.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey!!!!! That's all solid maple and mahogony you got hangin' around your neck, cowboy!!!!!! Orthaepedic doctors just love you for it!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, you drink enough and anyplace is a good place to open a bar! I'll have a rum and coke!

I'm happy with that Yamaha. The only complaint I have is that it's very heavy, so if you're playing it with a strap, after 15 minutes or so, your shoulder gets really tired.
    Rum and coke on the double!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got the Friday Night Blues: