Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I can't equate their wrong with Imus'. A racial slur just doesn't compare with laughing and describing the desire to forcibly rape and beat a woman.

I'm curious, do those that think this is fine feel the same if the person he talked about raping was 16 year sold? 10? 5?
    They are all 'shock jocks.' I don't listen to any of them. Many ignorant people do however, mostly male from what I've read of the demographics. I doubt that the majority that listen agree with them, but sure there could be kooks that take them seriously, just like the left with the bush in a bullseye. That's the job of the Secret Service and FBI.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

XM has finally taken action:

XM Satellite Radio Suspends Opie & Anthony for 30 Days

From an XM Press Release:
    WASHINGTON and NEW YORK, May 15 PRNewswire-FirstCall

XM Radio announced today that the company has suspended Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, hosts of "The Opie & Anthony Show" and ceased broadcast of the show for 30 days, effective immediately.

XM Radio deplored the comments aired on "The Opie & Anthony Show" last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology.

Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them.

http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.p...ases&item=1452
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .........

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I didn't necessarily say what transpired was fine, and I disagree with it myself, I just don't think action should be taken over it.

And yes, I believe it would be much different if they said it about a child.
    It should be the same as someone threatning do it to a child. Rape is Rape. It is uncalled for to joke about doing that to ANYONE, man woman or child. This definatly crossed the line on free speech. Also I dont care if you like or hate someone, there are things you don't EVER joke about and sexual assault and battery on a woman is definatly at the top of the list.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have already revealed my intuitions about shock jocks, censorship and entertainment in my interview with jimnyc a few weeks ago. But, really, it's about capitalism isn't it? When the shock jocks start reversing the upward profit margin they subsequently start digging their own graves, don't they? Lord knows I am a cat of nine lives and have been buried numerous times for exactly the same.

XM Radio announced today that the company has suspended Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, hosts of "The Opie & Anthony Show" and ceased broadcast of the show for 30 days, effective immediately.

XM Radio deplored the comments aired on "The Opie & Anthony Show" last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology.

Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them.

There is a huge difference in reveling in the message and revealing innermost and completely insane thought patterns. Some get it and some don't. Fuck them that don't.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ..........

Suspension is not enough, they need to be taken off the air.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

See what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    Suspension is not enough, they need to be taken off the air.
    It's capitalism pure and unadulterated by governmental intervention!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    They are all 'shock jocks.' I don't listen to any of them. Many ignorant people do however, mostly male from what I've read of the demographics. I doubt that the majority that listen agree with them, but sure there could be kooks that take them seriously, just like the left with the bush in a bullseye. That's the job of the Secret Service and FBI.
    I'd like to add that making a threat against the President or cabinet officers (e.g. the Secretary of State) is a federal offense.
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    I'd like to add that making a threat against the President or cabinet officers (e.g. the Secretary of State) is a federal offense.
    And joking about rape is an offence against ordinary decency.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I, too, am biased on this one since I'm an O&A fan. Thing is, if you listen to the show and at least understand what they're doing (not necessarily condone it), this does not seem like THAT big of an offense. Their style is "cringe humor", they specifically cross the border of common decency in order to shock. Does it make them terrible people? Yeah, but it's also often very funny. Personally, I didn't find this bit funny at all, but it wasn't worth suspending them over.

First of all, as has been stated, it was a spontaneous bit, if anybody should have been suspended, it should have been the producer who allowed a homeless man into the studio, I sincerely doubt that O&A have 100% administrative control over their studio at all times. I think all this is is XM catering to the moral majority in order to boost sales, or at least keep their current sales. As Jim said, if they didn't want O&A to be extreme, they shouldn't have bragged about how their radio is completely uncensored. And naming that channel 201 Extreme probably wasn't a good idea either.

And, I do see them getting booted eventually. Imus set a prescedent that will be felt throughout all forms of public expression, from radio to TV to movies. The message now is, do what you want, unless you offend the wrong people.
    Free the West Memphis 3.... http://www.wm3.org