Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Killing for Kali: Alex Perry's Offensive and Inaccurate Time Magazine Article

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    I was quoting News sources where people confess to the practice of child sacrifice for KALI.

you may not think Hindus do this, MOST Hindus I'm sure do not, however like radical Islam apparently some do take what is written very literally what you consider symbolic ...

i've read more of these stories than i posted and in oneit said that Kali worshipers have a festival where worshipers paint and dress themselves like Kali and parade down the streets, while bystanders RUSH THEIR CHILDREN IN THE HOUSE AND LOCK THE DOORS.

I mean you know offense but this crap is real. No need to sugar coat it or deny it ...

There are Christians that handle snakes too but it's not main stream, But no laws are needed against it to try to ban the practice. in India it is a known and not Uncommon problem and there is a WELL known history of the practice being typical in some areas for centuries. See the history of the Thugge ...

maybe the version of Hinduism you've learned is a sanitized western version, i can't say, but don't deny the well reported reality here.
    Hello,

My name is William Clark and I am a Kali bhakta from the USA who has lived in India extensively and am heading back in the near future. Most of my academic research and all of my devotion is dedicated specifically to Ma Kali. You can check out my recent essay on Kalighat, the famous Kali temple associated with many of the false, negative western perceptions of Kali which are being regurgitated here. Along with the essay, I have included some very detailed information on the practice of sacrificing goats which takes place there:

[Apparently, I am blocked from posting urls as a new member of this forum, but the website is ]

I found this messageboard while trying to find sources for some of the misinformation presented in the sensationalistic Time magazine article mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

For starters, I found the title "Killing for Kali" pretty crass because it's a reference to a scene in the 1939 film Gunga Din where a white man, painted brown, plays a diabolical Indian Kali priest and Thuggee leader who calls upon his followers to "Kill for the love of killing! Kill for Kali!" This character formed the basis for the villainous Kali priest, Mola Ram, in the film Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

The Time magazine article by Alex Perry goes on to provide an incredibly slanted perspective of traditions associated with Kali worship with one outrageous statement after another which are never backed by credible sources:

"Even 200 years ago, when a boy was killed every day at a Kali temple in Calcutta, blood cults were at odds with a benign Hindu spiritualism that celebrates abstinence and vegetarianism."

A statement like this is so loaded, I don't even know where to begin--but I will try to keep this short. The first part, "even 200 years ago, when a boy was killed every day at a Kali temple in Calcutta..." refers specifically to Kalighat where such events never took place. Although I didn't get very into it in my article, the priesthood at Kalighat--for over 250 years--are strict Vaishnavs by lineage and practicing vegetarians. Every historical source I have researched mentions nothing of the sacrifice of boys at Kalighat because it never happened. However, I would bet on the fact that it was mentioned in the Orientalist-fantasy literature penned during the period of British rule by Christian missionaries and colonial authorities, both of whom would have the agenda of suppressing and dominating the colonized native population. In fictional works, Kali was often used as the most convenient, most "exotic" plot device in Victorian novels which were filled with lurid tales of sexual excess, intoxication, and blood sacrifice all in the name of the Thuggee's patron Goddess of Doom. I think you get the idea. The author Alex Perry is referencing completely archaic and invalid sources when not inventing the backstory himself. It is interesting to note that many 19th century accounts of Kali's associated rites describe them much like an inverted Christian mass. In a word, she was demonized early on by colonizers and that false perception has lasted to the present day. For Bengali devotees, she is the Cosmic Mother--the opposite of evil.

The second part of the statement is just naive. I mean, what I get from it is that "blood cults" aren't a part of "Hindu spiritualism," which sounds like a real party because it "celebrates" abstinence and vegetarianism--good times. I understand that the author is trying to condense a tremendous amount of information for the sake of brevity, but that's exactly the problem with such an article--it ends up being a bunch of slanderous hogwash. Hinduism is commonly referred to as the "oldest living religion" in the world as its roots reach into prehistory. Let's return to those bloody sacrifices--if Kali is not evil, then why does she require blood?

She doesn't. I personally know quite a few Kali devotees will not even touch meat, but it is true that she is associated with animal sacrifice and carries a large sword. The fact of the matter is that Bengalis, unlike many Indians, are a traditionally meat-eating culture and goats are tasty. Being spiritually inclined, it makes sense they would develop ways to offer an animal they are going to eat before it is killed for their food. To take an animal's life is a rather intense act, but if you still want to eat it and have a religious disposition it would logically follow that you would attach spiritual significance to the act of slaughtering livestock. What is merely taking place is the phenomenon of religious folks blessing their meat--it's really nothing that "exotic" at all.

On numerous occasions, I have spent a good deal of time in the temple area where this takes place, talking with the men whose job it is to behead the goats. The sacrificial goat, as Kali's gift, is treated quite well by the family who purchases it. Before the immolation, there are some prayers said by a priest and it is sprinkled with water--similar to kosher (Judaism) and halal (Islam) practices. However, unlike the kosher and halal practice, the animal is not bled to death. In order for the ritual to be karmically pure, the animal must suffer as little as possible before it is killed. To this end, its neck is braced in a specially constructed post and the head is then cleanly chopped off with one sharp blow of the khadga--Kali's characteristic sword. The whole thing is over in a few of seconds. Honestly, having witnessed it myself countless times, I feel that such a swift end is ultimately more humane than what happens at factory farms here in the USA where animals undergo prolonged suffering, locked in cramped spaces much of their lives. Here we never see the process of slaughter involved in our consumption of meat, but in a place like West Bengal if you want to eat chicken you go to a market and pick out a live chicken which is then killed on the spot. It's a very different culture. I have visited Kalighat many times during different trips to India for nearly a decade. It always struck me as odd that many foreigners who regularly eat meat would freak out about the animal sacrifices. What they never notice is that following the sacrifice, the goat is taken to a designated area in the temple complex where the animal is butchered, dressed, and packaged for the contributing family to take home. To demonize the practice of goat sacrifice, is tantamount to demonizing the consumption of meat, which, like it or not, is common almost everywhere in the world. Again Alex Perry writes:

"Most Kali temples have settled on large pumpkins to represent a human body; other followers slit the throats of two-meter-tall human effigies made of flour, or of animals such as goats."

I have never seen anything even vaguely resembling these practices at any Kali temple that I have visited; I have been to many and certainly those which are historically and spiritually considered most important. Where the Hell did he get this from? It is not based upon reality.

Alex Perry goes on to claim that "tantrics say" (who? which Tantriks?) Kali takes care of those who take care of her, followed by "so far this year, police have recorded at least one case of ritual killing a month." Do you see how distorted this type of writing is? First he speaks on behalf of Tantriks and mentions Kali's name, then follows this up with a sentence making the shocking claim of one ritual murder per month. What qualifies as a ritual murder? He avoids being a flagrant liar here by not directly saying that the ritual murders were performed on Kali's behalf, but most readers will link the entire paragraph together. It is very poor, misleading writing and the worst kind of journalism. The whole paragraph is dedicated to a number of grisly murders, only one case of which might even be related to Kali.

"Far from ancient barbarisms that refuse to die, sacrifice and sorcery are making a comeback. Sociologists explain the millions who now throng the two main Kali centers in eastern India, at Kamakhya and Tarapith, as what happens when the rat race that is India's future meets the superstitions of its past."

Apparently Mr. Perry is a hardcore vegetarian who believes eating meat is barbaric. I won't even touch on the how condescending the second sentence is, but I will point out that at the Kamakhya temple in Assam the revered goddess is named Kamakhya, while Tarapith is the home of goddess Tara. Despite these goddesses being independent entities, Alex Perry ignorantly refers to their respective places of worship as "Kali centers." This glaringly false statement leads me to assume that the uninformed author uses "Kali" as the name for every deity he knows nothing about--casting serious doubt on any of his previous references to her in connection with criminal cases. He does not know what the Hell he is talking about.

(The blood never dries at Tarapith," whispers one villager.)

Spooky.

This odious article ends with the words, "but in the dust-bowl villages of India, where superstition reigns and blood has a dark authority, the question is how many other "holy men" have found that ultimate power still rests in the murderous magic of a virgin sacrifice" which brings us full-circle back to the imperialist drivel of the 1800's (universally denounced by academic authorities). Suddenly, the insatiable Goddess of Doom now requires the blood of virgins! The nonexistent connection between the ancient mother goddess Kali and the relatively modern archetype of Satan have been emphatically and idiotically asserted after drawing inspiration from prejudiced sources more than one and a half centuries old.

It seems that I have failed to keep my response short, but I do hope that some folks looking over this will see this article for the mediocre fodder that it is. I felt the need to point out the numerous fallacies contained within it because perpetuating bigotry and misunderstanding does nothing except cause division and strife. This kind of writing originates in a racist, colonialist worldview where people are looked upon as inferior or threatening simply because they are not understood. It perpetuates a destructive and hateful mentality.

I could go on about this forever, but there were a few factual cases of human sacrifice which were brought up in this thread. This is easily explained by one truthful statement found early in the Time magazine article: "
    Human sacrifice has always been an anomaly in India." It is not the norm by any means. In the past, when it has rarely occurred in connection with goddess worship it was also related to such things as warring kingdoms. I have read that, in some cases, captured soldiers from opposing armies were offered in Assam. This sort of thing you will find in the history of people around the world. In modern times, these actions have--very rarely--been directed by twisted people who have adopted a spiritual persona to seek their own ego gratification (usually related to money) through duping the naive. Another incident mentioned previously involved a man who was clearly mentally disturbed as anyone committing such acts obviously is. Again, you find this kind of deviance in all societies--so mislabeling Hindu goddess devotees as sacrificers of humans is just as illogical as comparing all Atheists to Josef Stalin, Muslims to Osama Bin Laden, Christians to Timothy McVeigh etc. It needlessly condemns a large number of people and is a bigoted mentality.

If anyone has any questions regarding legitimate religious and spiritual practices connected with Kali, I will gladly respond as best I can. Please be aware that there is lot of false information out there and try not to rush to judgement.

William
    Last edited by kalibhakta; 11-21-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: misspelling and format

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Welcome, William! URLS's are automatically blocked to prevent hit and run type spammers. When a member makes a certain amount of posts and shows that they are planning on being a contributing member here, the software will automatically allow links.

Again, welcome!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Welcome, William! URLS's are automatically blocked to prevent hit and run type spammers. When a member makes a certain amount of posts and shows that they are planning on being a contributing member here, the software will automatically allow links.

Again, welcome!
    Yeah, I completely understand why such a feature would be added. It seems like a forum with some interesting discussions and I am sure I'll get to that point in no time. Thanks so much.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Jack Chick's "The Traitor"

I am very happy that I went back and read through this thread as I learned of a Jack Chick Tract that I simply must have.

As far as fact checking go, it's glaringly obvious that a paranoid and hate-filled conspiracy theorist like Jack Chick can not be expected to do anything but attack beliefs he is against.

1. The pamphlet begins by stating that it illustrates a true story from 1982. With all of the outrageous depictions of supernatural activity which follow, it is apparently a product of Chick's warped mind but let's go on.

2. It starts with a man the outrageous scenario of a man (later named as Ramu) sacrificing his first-born son which has immediate results...

3. He not only gains supernatural powers, but transforms into Mola Ram from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!

Attachment 4067

Steven Spielberg himself has repeatedly expressed regrets for making this film. The film has gotten a lot of flack for it's flagrant misrepresentation of Hindus and is chock-full of elements which verge on racism. "It sounds like fortune cookies!" -Short Round. I'll just go ahead and quote wikipedia:

The film's depiction of Hindus caused controversy in India, and brought it to the attention of the country's censors, who placed a temporary ban on it. The inaccurate depiction of Goddess Kali as a representative of the underworld and evil met with much criticism as she is instead the Goddess of Energy (Shakti). The depiction of Indian cuisine was also condemned as it has no relation whatsoever with "baby snakes, eyeball soup, beetles and chilled monkey brains. ..." Yvette Rosser has criticized the film for contributing to racist stereotypes of Indians in western society, writing "[it] seems to have been taken as a valid portrayal of India by many teachers, since a large number of students surveyed complained that teachers referred to the eating of monkey brains."

Despite its many flaws, I still think its a fun movie and as a devotee of Kali who has visited many of her places of worship, I cannot help but think of it as comedy. Unfortunately, it has caused a lot of damage because people are often not very discerning. It is a work of fiction.

Jack Chick's character Ramu, is obviously based on Mola Ram. Even his name is similar. What is up with his outfit--are those lion teeth or something? Mola Ram (played by Amrish Puri) looks perfectly sinister in his priestly garb, but he certainly was not wearing traditional dress.

4. Kali flies through the sky riding on a tiger, enters a home, beheads a man and drains his blood much to the bewilderment of the villagers. Are we still following a true story?

5. Now empowered by his goddess of evil (and skilled in astral projection), Mola Ramu initiates a reign of terror, but all is not lost because...

6. He meets a mysterious stranger who introduces him to Jesus Christ. Mola Ramu converts to Christianity, his demons depart, and all is groovy once more. Amen. I kinda wondered what Ramu is up to these days because the Indian government, unlike Jack Chick's idea of god, is not very forgiving when it comes to capital offenses.

The intent of this tract is to lash out at and literally demonize Hinduism and any other spiritual beliefs other than those of Jack Chick because "Satan controls ALL false gods" as well as the entire earth and every religion according to this warped view.

In stating that "Satan created all the gods of India," Jack Chick really shows his true colors. He not only disagrees with the beliefs of other people, but views them as originating in and being directed by demonic sources. Sounds like a really nice guy.

It is obvious that the objective of this tract is to attack and the story is a fabrication created by the disturbed mind of Jack Chick. It is impossible to fact check something that was completely made up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kalibhakta View Post

Hello,

My name is William Clark and I am a Kali bhakta from the USA who has lived in India extensively and am heading back in the near future. Most of my academic research and all of my devotion is dedicated specifically to Ma Kali. You can check out my recent essay on Kalighat, the famous Kali temple associated with many of the false, negative western perceptions of Kali which are being regurgitated here. Along with the essay, I have included some very detailed information on the practice of sacrificing goats which takes place there:

[Apparently, I am blocked from posting urls as a new member of this forum, but the website is ]

I found this messageboard while trying to find sources for some of the misinformation presented in the sensationalistic Time magazine article mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

For starters, I found the title "Killing for Kali" pretty crass because it's a reference to a scene in the 1939 film Gunga Din where a white man, painted brown, plays a diabolical Indian Kali priest and Thuggee leader who calls upon his followers to "Kill for the love of killing! Kill for Kali!" This character formed the basis for the villainous Kali priest, Mola Ram, in the film Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

The Time magazine article by Alex Perry goes on to provide an incredibly slanted perspective of traditions associated with Kali worship with one outrageous statement after another which are never backed by credible sources:

"Even 200 years ago, when a boy was killed every day at a Kali temple in Calcutta, blood cults were at odds with a benign Hindu spiritualism that celebrates abstinence and vegetarianism."

A statement like this is so loaded, I don't even know where to begin--but I will try to keep this short. The first part, "even 200 years ago, when a boy was killed every day at a Kali temple in Calcutta..." refers specifically to Kalighat where such events never took place. Although I didn't get very into it in my article, the priesthood at Kalighat--for over 250 years--are strict Vaishnavs by lineage and practicing vegetarians. Every historical source I have researched mentions nothing of the sacrifice of boys at Kalighat because it never happened. However, I would bet on the fact that it was mentioned in the Orientalist-fantasy literature penned during the period of British rule by Christian missionaries and colonial authorities, both of whom would have the agenda of suppressing and dominating the colonized native population. In fictional works, Kali was often used as the most convenient, most "exotic" plot device in Victorian novels which were filled with lurid tales of sexual excess, intoxication, and blood sacrifice all in the name of the Thuggee's patron Goddess of Doom. I think you get the idea. The author Alex Perry is referencing completely archaic and invalid sources when not inventing the backstory himself. It is interesting to note that many 19th century accounts of Kali's associated rites describe them much like an inverted Christian mass. In a word, she was demonized early on by colonizers and that false perception has lasted to the present day. For Bengali devotees, she is the Cosmic Mother--the opposite of evil.

The second part of the statement is just naive. I mean, what I get from it is that "blood cults" aren't a part of "Hindu spiritualism," which sounds like a real party because it "celebrates" abstinence and vegetarianism--good times. I understand that the author is trying to condense a tremendous amount of information for the sake of brevity, but that's exactly the problem with such an article--it ends up being a bunch of slanderous hogwash. Hinduism is commonly referred to as the "oldest living religion" in the world as its roots reach into prehistory. Let's return to those bloody sacrifices--if Kali is not evil, then why does she require blood?

She doesn't. I personally know quite a few Kali devotees will not even touch meat, but it is true that she is associated with animal sacrifice and carries a large sword. The fact of the matter is that Bengalis, unlike many Indians, are a traditionally meat-eating culture and goats are tasty. Being spiritually inclined, it makes sense they would develop ways to offer an animal they are going to eat before it is killed for their food. To take an animal's life is a rather intense act, but if you still want to eat it and have a religious disposition it would logically follow that you would attach spiritual significance to the act of slaughtering livestock. What is merely taking place is the phenomenon of religious folks blessing their meat--it's really nothing that "exotic" at all.

On numerous occasions, I have spent a good deal of time in the temple area where this takes place, talking with the men whose job it is to behead the goats. The sacrificial goat, as Kali's gift, is treated quite well by the family who purchases it. Before the immolation, there are some prayers said by a priest and it is sprinkled with water--similar to kosher (Judaism) and halal (Islam) practices. However, unlike the kosher and halal practice, the animal is not bled to death. In order for the ritual to be karmically pure, the animal must suffer as little as possible before it is killed. To this end, its neck is braced in a specially constructed post and the head is then cleanly chopped off with one sharp blow of the khadga--Kali's characteristic sword. The whole thing is over in a few of seconds. Honestly, having witnessed it myself countless times, I feel that such a swift end is ultimately more humane than what happens at factory farms here in the USA where animals undergo prolonged suffering, locked in cramped spaces much of their lives. Here we never see the process of slaughter involved in our consumption of meat, but in a place like West Bengal if you want to eat chicken you go to a market and pick out a live chicken which is then killed on the spot. It's a very different culture. I have visited Kalighat many times during different trips to India for nearly a decade. It always struck me as odd that many foreigners who regularly eat meat would freak out about the animal sacrifices. What they never notice is that following the sacrifice, the goat is taken to a designated area in the temple complex where the animal is butchered, dressed, and packaged for the contributing family to take home. To demonize the practice of goat sacrifice, is tantamount to demonizing the consumption of meat, which, like it or not, is common almost everywhere in the world. Again Alex Perry writes:

"Most Kali temples have settled on large pumpkins to represent a human body; other followers slit the throats of two-meter-tall human effigies made of flour, or of animals such as goats."

I have never seen anything even vaguely resembling these practices at any Kali temple that I have visited; I have been to many and certainly those which are historically and spiritually considered most important. Where the Hell did he get this from? It is not based upon reality.

Alex Perry goes on to claim that "tantrics say" (who? which Tantriks?) Kali takes care of those who take care of her, followed by "so far this year, police have recorded at least one case of ritual killing a month." Do you see how distorted this type of writing is? First he speaks on behalf of Tantriks and mentions Kali's name, then follows this up with a sentence making the shocking claim of one ritual murder per month. What qualifies as a ritual murder? He avoids being a flagrant liar here by not directly saying that the ritual murders were performed on Kali's behalf, but most readers will link the entire paragraph together. It is very poor, misleading writing and the worst kind of journalism. The whole paragraph is dedicated to a number of grisly murders, only one case of which might even be related to Kali.

"Far from ancient barbarisms that refuse to die, sacrifice and sorcery are making a comeback. Sociologists explain the millions who now throng the two main Kali centers in eastern India, at Kamakhya and Tarapith, as what happens when the rat race that is India's future meets the superstitions of its past."

Apparently Mr. Perry is a hardcore vegetarian who believes eating meat is barbaric. I won't even touch on the how condescending the second sentence is, but I will point out that at the Kamakhya temple in Assam the revered goddess is named Kamakhya, while Tarapith is the home of goddess Tara. Despite these goddesses being independent entities, Alex Perry ignorantly refers to their respective places of worship as "Kali centers." This glaringly false statement leads me to assume that the uninformed author uses "Kali" as the name for every deity he knows nothing about--casting serious doubt on any of his previous references to her in connection with criminal cases. He does not know what the Hell he is talking about.

(The blood never dries at Tarapith," whispers one villager.)

Spooky.

This odious article ends with the words, "but in the dust-bowl villages of India, where superstition reigns and blood has a dark authority, the question is how many other "holy men" have found that ultimate power still rests in the murderous magic of a virgin sacrifice" which brings us full-circle back to the imperialist drivel of the 1800's (universally denounced by academic authorities). Suddenly, the insatiable Goddess of Doom now requires the blood of virgins! The nonexistent connection between the ancient mother goddess Kali and the relatively modern archetype of Satan have been emphatically and idiotically asserted after drawing inspiration from prejudiced sources more than one and a half centuries old.

It seems that I have failed to keep my response short, but I do hope that some folks looking over this will see this article for the mediocre fodder that it is. I felt the need to point out the numerous fallacies contained within it because perpetuating bigotry and misunderstanding does nothing except cause division and strife. This kind of writing originates in a racist, colonialist worldview where people are looked upon as inferior or threatening simply because they are not understood. It perpetuates a destructive and hateful mentality.

I could go on about this forever, but there were a few factual cases of human sacrifice which were brought up in this thread. This is easily explained by one truthful statement found early in the Time magazine article: "
    Human sacrifice has always been an anomaly in India." It is not the norm by any means. In the past, when it has rarely occurred in connection with goddess worship it was also related to such things as warring kingdoms. I have read that, in some cases, captured soldiers from opposing armies were offered in Assam. This sort of thing you will find in the history of people around the world. In modern times, these actions have--very rarely--been directed by twisted people who have adopted a spiritual persona to seek their own ego gratification (usually related to money) through duping the naive. Another incident mentioned previously involved a man who was clearly mentally disturbed as anyone committing such acts obviously is. Again, you find this kind of deviance in all societies--so mislabeling Hindu goddess devotees as sacrificers of humans is just as illogical as comparing all Atheists to Josef Stalin, Muslims to Osama Bin Laden, Christians to Timothy McVeigh etc. It needlessly condemns a large number of people and is a bigoted mentality.

If anyone has any questions regarding legitimate religious and spiritual practices connected with Kali, I will gladly respond as best I can. Please be aware that there is lot of false information out there and try not to rush to judgement.

William
    Hi, welcome,

I missed this post
    this is interesting.

I won't comment on most your rebut to the Time magazine article. I haven't made time to fact check you or the reporter. But i'd say if much of what you say is correct it won't be the 1st time Time magazine has messed up a story.

Now i mentioned several times to wingSong that the i don't believe that Human Scarifice is a part of most Hindu's worship.
    However i have to strongly disagree with your comments here

" there were a few factual cases of human sacrifice which were brought up in this thread. This is easily explained by one truthful statement found early in the Time magazine article: "Human sacrifice has always been an anomaly in India." It is not the norm by any means. In the past, when it has rarely occurred in connection with goddess worship it was also related to such things as warring kingdoms. I have read that, in some cases, captured soldiers from opposing armies were offered in Assam. This sort of thing you will find in the history of people around the world. In modern times, these actions have--very rarely--been directed by twisted people who have adopted a spiritual persona to seek their own ego gratification (usually related to money) through duping the naive. Another incident mentioned previously involved a man who was clearly mentally disturbed as anyone committing such acts obviously is. Again, you find this kind of deviance in all societies ..."

If you read the Times of India Articles you'll find over and over again people who were NOT said to be crazy but those who believed that the human/child sacrifice was spiritually needed for some reason. Some were described as self styled spiritual leaders other were in the Hindu temples performing the murders. some mentioned the god/goddess in question they were doing the deed for.

you don't find this in western socity unless your talking about witchcraft. and you won't find it as prolicflicaly mentioned as it is in the times of Idian I list 4 pages worth of stories along that line.
    All due respect but it seems to me that FOR WHATEVER REASON the worship of Hindu gods has lead (leads) more than a few to think that child sacrifice is a real option.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...man-sacrifice/
    NEW DELHI - — Two men have been arrested in central India for allegedly killing a 7-year-old girl and cutting out her liver in a ritual sacrifice to ensure a better harvest, police said Monday.

Lalita Tati disappeared in October and her dismembered remains were found a week later, Rajendra Narayan Das, a senior police officer in the Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh state, told The Associated Press.
    Police arrested two men, both poor farmers, last week and they told police they killed the girl to appease their gods and get a better harvest, Das said.
    Tati was walking home after watching television at a neighbor's house when she was kidnapped, Das said.
    The two men confessed to cutting her open and removing her liver as an offering.

Das said the police had gathered enough evidence, apart from the confessions, to charge the two with murder. They would face life in prison or even the death sentence if convicted.
    The men were described as "tribals," a term referring to the region's indigenous people, most of whom remain mired in poverty and illiteracy.
    Human sacrifices are rare in India but get prominent attention every few years. A deep belief in traditional healers, or witch doctors, is common in mostly tribal Chhattisgarh.

MANGALORE
    FTC to hear child sacrifice case
    June 7, 2011 | STANLEY G PINTO , TNN
    MANGALORE: The child sacrifice case will come up before the Fast Track Sessions court here on June 17, exactly six months after the gruesome murder took place. The Mangalore sub-division police had submitted the chargesheet to the court in February this year pertaining to the December 17, 2010, murder of a child by a couple allegedly to appease deity 'Kala Bhairava at Yeyyady in the city. As it was a murder case, the case was sent to the Sessions court from the Judicial Magistrate...

MANGALORE
    FTC to hear child sacrifice case
    June 7, 2011 | STANLEY G PINTO , TNN
    MANGALORE: The child sacrifice case will come up before the Fast Track Sessions court here on June 17, exactly six months after the gruesome murder took place. The Mangalore sub-division police had submitted the chargesheet to the court in February this year pertaining to the December 17, 2010, murder of a child by a couple allegedly to appease deity 'Kala Bhairava at Yeyyady in the city. As it was a murder case, the case was sent to the Sessions court from the Judicial Magistrate...

INDIA
    2 BSF jawans held in child ‘sacrifice’ case
    October 9, 2011 | Manosh Das , TNN
    SHILLONG: Two Border Security Force (BSF) jawans were arrested in Meghalaya's West Garo Hills for suspected " child sacrifice" in a temple in the 121 battalion camp. The BSF on Saturday instituted a court of inquiry to investigate the case. The jawans belonged to BSF's 121 battalion. A senior BSF officer told TOI, "We handed over head constable Chandra Bhan Das and constable Babu Khan to Meghalaya police. They are suspected to be involved in the case. " The BSF...
    Death for tribal in child sacrifice case
    RAKESH BHATNAGAR, TNN Dec 13, 2003, 08.58pm IST

NEW DELHI: Strongly discarding superstitious killings for appeasement of God, the Supreme Court has ordered death sentence for a tribal in Jharkhand who 'sacrificed' his neighbour's nine-year child before Goddess Kali for his own prosperity and well being seven years ago.
    Killer Shushil Murmu had a son of same age of victim Chirku Besra yet "he diabolically designed the dastardly and revolting sacrifice of a helpless child", said a Bench of Justices Doraiswamy Raju and Arijit Pasayat.

Murmu was already facing the charge of sacrificing another child when the trial court sentenced him to death.
    After beheading Besra, he packed the boy's head in a sack, pedalled some distance carrying it and threw it in a pond.
    Lawyer Anil Kumar Mittal, who was appointed Murmu's lawyer by the court, sought to persuade the court that the extreme penalty be reduced to life term.
    Mittal said that though superstition was not expected and encouraged in modern society, yet an illiterate tribal born and brought up in an atmosphere surcharged with superstition should not be awarded the death sentence.
    Jharkhand's counsel A T M Rangaramanujam said nothing short of death should be given the killer.
    Agreeing with him, the Bench said, "Superstition cannot and does not provide justification for any killing, much less a planned and deliberate one."
    A shocked court further said, "No amount of superstitious colour can wash away the sin and offence of an unprovoked killing, more so in the case of an innocent and defenceless child."
    Murmu did not possess basic humanness and completely lacked the "psyche or mind set which can be amenable for any reformation".
    Holding that the offence was one of the rarest of rare, the Bench said the offence was a "crime against humanity". It was indicative of "greatest depravity", the judges added.
    http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...d-superstition

The Problem is said to be 'rare'
    but not apperently it happens enough that the pracitce of human scarifice has been specifically banned for years.
    AND the Indian gov't floated an ANTI-Suprsition bill just last year.

Anti-superstition Bill to be ready in this session: Ajit
    Sanjeev Shivadekar, TNN Apr 8, 2011, 07.00am IST

MUMBAI: The government has promised to introduce the long-pending anti-superstition law (The Maharashtra Eradication of Blind Faith Bill) in the current state legislature session.
    "The DF government will discuss the issue in Thursday's cabinet meeting. The anti-superstition Bill will be introduced before the end of the ongoing budget session. If the law is not approved, the government will introduce an ordinance to prevent black magic," said deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar in the assembly on Thursday. The aim of the law is to stop the practice of black magic and "human sacrifices made by people out of blind faith", Pawar added. Warkaris and those performing religious rites (puja) would not be targeted by the Bill, he said.

The Bill came up for discussion when BJP's Chainsukh Sancheti raised the issue of child sacrifice. The MLA cited the incidents of two children in Nalasopara and Borivli being sacrificed. However, minister of state for home Satej Patil said, "This is not a case of child sacrifice, but that of blind faith." Objecting to it, Opposition leader Eknath Khadse said, "Child sacrifices are the outcome of blind faith." He added that stern action should be taken against the culprits.

While MNS MLA Pravin Darekar demanded a probe into sacrifices conducted at religious places, "Government should conduct a thorough probe in this matter," he added.
    NCP MLA Nawab Malik said, "Ads in papers and TVs should be stopped."When Patil said the government could take action only following a specific complaint, speaker of the legislative assembly Dilip Walse Patil directed the minister to take suo motu action. "Instead of waiting for complaints, the home department should appoint dedicated staff to trace such ads in newspapers," he said.
    Finally concluding the discussion Pawar assured the house of introducing the long pending bill in the session.
    http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ce-black-magic

"Child sacrifices are the outcome of blind faith." the lawmakers claim.
    well no,
    It's the outcome of faith in bad religion or ideas. And or misunderurstood religion or ideas.

All religions are NOT basically the same.
    Last edited by revelarts; 12-31-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16