Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Lee Marvin and Captain Kangaroo

Damn, I was tricked! Just got this in an email, only to find out that some of it is fake. Will add more at the bottom:

WHY DID MR. ROGERS WEAR A SWEATER?

Captain Kangaroo passed away on January 23, 2004 at age 76,
    which is odd, because he always looked to be 76. (DOB: 6/27/27 )

His death reminded me of the following story.

Some people have been a bit offended that the actor, Lee Marvin,
    is buried in a grave alongside 3 and 4-star generals at Arlington National Cemetery .
    His marker gives his name, rank (PVT) and service (USMC).
    Nothing else.

Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time,
    why the heck does he rate burial with these guys?
    Well, following is the amazing answer:

I always liked Lee Marvin, but didn't know the extent
    of his Corps experiences.

In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the armed forces
    often in rear echelon posts where they were carefully protected,
    only to be trotted out to perform for the cameras in war bond promotions,
    Lee Marvin was a genuine hero.
    He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima .
    There is only one higher Naval award... the Medal Of Honor!

If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man,
    he credits his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery.

Dialog from "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson":
    His guest was Lee Marvin...

Johnny said,"Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware
    that you were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima ..
    and that during the course of that action you earned
    the Navy Cross and were severely wounded."

"Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the bottom and they gave me
    the Cross for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi.
    Bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys getting
    shot hauling you down. But, Johnny, at Iwo , I served under
    the bravest man I ever knew...
    We both got the Cross the same day,
    but what he did for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison.

That dumb guy actually stood up on Red beach and directed his
    troops to move forward and get the hell off the beach..
    Bullets flying by, with mortar rounds landing everywhere and he
    stood there as the main target of gunfire so that he could get his
    men to safety.
    He did this on more than one occasion because
    his men's safety was more important than his own life.

That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends.
    When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and
    he lit a smoke and passed it to me, lying on my belly on the litter and said,
    "Where'd they get you Lee?"
    "Well Bob....
    if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse!"

Johnny, I'm not lying, Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man
    I ever knew.
    The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan.
    You and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo."
    Lee Marvin

Marvin left school to join the United States Marine Corps, serving as a Scout Sniper in the 4th Marine Division.[8] He was wounded in action during the WWII Battle of Saipan, in the assault on Mount Tapochau, during which most of his company ("I" Company, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division) were killed.[9] Marvin's wound (in the buttocks) was from machine gun fire, which severed his sciatic nerve.[10] He was awarded the Purple Heart and was given a medical discharge with the rank of Private First Class.[11] Contrary to rumors, Marvin did not serve with producer and actor Bob Keeshan during World War II.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Marvin

Bob Keeshan

After early graduation from Forest Hills High School in Queens, NY in 1945, during World War II, he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps Reserve, but was still in the United States when Japan surrendered. He attended Fordham University on the GI Bill.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Keeshan

And another article I found:

The message says that Lee Marvin appeared on the Tonight Show in the 70's when host Johnny Carson brought up Marvin's record in the Marines. Carson said people may not have known that Marvin fought in Iwo Jima, one of the best known battles of World War II, and was awarded the Navy Cross. Marvin then tells a story of heroism in battle about the bravest man he ever knew who was also awarded the Navy Cross ... Bob Keeshan who later became best known as Captain Kangaroo.

We can't say for sure whether actor Lee Marvin ever related something like the story described to Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show (Marvin was a guest on the show seven times during Carson's tenure as host), but the details of the anecdote are undeniably false.

Lee Marvin did enlist in the U.S. Marines, saw action as Private First Class in the Pacific during World War II, and was wounded (in the buttocks) by fire which severed his sciatic nerve. However, this injury occurred during the battle for Saipan in June 1944, not the battle for Iwo Jima, which took place several months later, in February 1945. (Marvin also did receive a Purple Heart, and he is indeed buried at Arlington National Cemetery.)

Bob Keeshan, later famous as television's "Captain Kangaroo," also enlisted in the U.S. Marines, but too late to see any action during World War II. Keeshan was born on 27 June 1927 and enlisted two weeks before his 18th birthday, months too late to have taken part in the fighting at Iwo Jima. A 1997 interview with Keeshan noted that he "later enlisted in the U.S. Marines but saw no combat" because, as Keeshan said, he signed up "just before we dropped the atom bomb."

Finally, neither of these men served together and certainly neither of them earned the Navy Cross for bravery while serving in the Marine Corps.
    http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/lmarvin.htm

STILL a USMC Hero in my book!!!!

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

And don't ask me why one part references Captain Kangaroo and the other Mr. Rogers. I suppose the one who took some liberties with the facts also rushed and screwed up the names!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

And if interested, more from Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/military/celeb.../leemarvin.asp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    And if interested, more from Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/military/celeb.../leemarvin.asp
    Lee Marvin was one of my favorite actors along with Glenn Ford, Robert Tayler, Steve McQueen , Paul Newman, Kirk Douglas, Charles Bronson, John Wayne, Gary Cooper , Randolph Scott, James Coburn , Audie Murphy(another war hero) Clayton Moore, Roy Rogers. All fine men but Roy Rogers takes it for best and most honorable man in that group. The guy was pure solid gold ...-Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

do generals get a spot with a better view?.......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Interesting how conservative Republicans profess their adulation for John Wayne in spite of the fact that he was gay.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Interesting how conservative Republicans profess their adulation for John Wayne in spite of the fact that he was gay.
    fact? How about posting some proof? The man was married like 3-4 times and had like 7 or more kids. He was known for fooling around with quite a few women as well. Or will this be another thread where you toss out absolute crap without bonafide facts and then just disappear?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    Got any more shat to spit out?
    Go ahead so I can correct your foolishness in one long post rather than many small ones.
    Yes, I listed John Wayne in my list of favorite actors. I liked the roles he played and how he played them.
    He was about as gay as a three dollar bill is legal..
    Now I did also list Randolph Scott which actually was gay.
    Try to keep up ,ok?
    You missed one and spat on an innocent man.. -Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Go ahead so I can correct your foolishness in one long post rather than many small ones.
    Yes, I listed John Wayne in my list of favorite actors. I liked the roles he played and how he played them.
    Try to keep up ,ok?
    Gabs can be cool at times, and other times she just tosses absolute shit out there and hopes it sticks. I have no clue where she gets some of this 'shit' from, but considering she is a Californian Liberal, and her history of tossing shit around, I generally want iron clad links coming from her.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Gabs can be cool at times, and other times she just tosses absolute shit out there and hopes it sticks. I have no clue where she gets some of this 'shit' from, but considering she is a Californian Liberal, and her history of tossing shit around, I generally want iron clad links coming from her.
    Thanks. A Cali-lib, say no more. I know exactly what you are speaking about.
    Will take everything with a large grain of salt..
    I have a great friend that is much the same and he lives in Cali too...--Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I thought for sure I would come back in here and find Gabby backing up one of her inane comments with absolute proof. I'm so very disappointed and surprised.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Try to keep up ,ok?
    I'm confused as to what shit Gabby spat out here.

John Wayne gay? Check
    You conservative? Check
    You listed him as one of your favorites even though he's gay? Check

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    John Wayne gay? Check
    Proof?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Proof?
    Marion's real life motto was "never leave your buddy's behind"

He was gay and who cares? Doogie Howser is gay to, he's pretty solid in How I Met Your Mother though. Has nothing to do with his abilities, and THAT I think is where Gabby missed the point. Most folks who are "anti gay" don't have lists made of people they will never be entertained by because they are gay.

Truth we have no "proof" that he was gay, but it's a pretty widely accepted theory at minimum.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    Marion's real life motto was "never leave your buddy's behind"

He was gay and who cares? Doogie Howser is gay to, he's pretty solid in How I Met Your Mother though. Has nothing to do with his abilities, and THAT I think is where Gabby missed the point. Most folks who are "anti gay" don't have lists made of people they will never be entertained by because they are gay.

Truth we have no "proof" that he was gay, but it's a pretty widely accepted theory at minimum.
    No it's not, and he wasn't gay. He was married quite a few times and had 7 kids. If it's a theory, it's a "conspiracy theory", as there is absolutely no truth whatsoever to it and zero proof. And you pushing the rumor, with no proof at all of your own, is wrong, and in Gabby's department.

At minimum - NO PROOF at all, just people who like to start stupid rumors.