Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    Smith would still have to kept the plates in his possession to retranslate. I never heard that story ever that you told.
    I shall look up more details on the story, I'm almost certain I have books that reference it happening.

I suspect were you to have stole that many pages of the Bible from the authors of Mark, Matthew, Luke and John, they would have to also paraphrase it.
    Yes but the point was that he was translating directly from the gold plates. So unless you accept that the actual translation is only a generalised, and paraphrased one, then there would be very few inconsistencies between the two texts.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    So i deserve eternity in hell because i've hurt a gods feelings?
    no, just for disobedience....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

only to find that at death i'm off to hell because i didn't meet that gods requirements.
    and instead, you think it's enough to meet your own?......if you create your own requirements you'd best be in a position to create your own paradise......
    ...full immersion.....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taft2012 View Post

Which is why societies have traditionally anchored their values on something "higher" than the mere mechanations of public discourse, be it Christianity, some sort of collectivist theory, Islam, etc.

Western society anchored itself to Christianity, and with the normal growing pains that societies endure, managed to elevate itself to the most civilized and advanced part of the globe.

When there's an earthquake in Japan, Turkey, or Haiti, people suffering on the ground don't look forlornly to the skies asking "When are the Saudis going to get here with aid?" or "When are the Chinese going to arrive?"

They're always waiting for the west, particularly the USA. Because they know the nature of true Christian charity will come to the aid of those suffering.

Sorry, but that "good" doesn't come from anywhere else but Christianity.
    If you're of the opinion that good only comes from Christianity then fair enough, you're on the extreme wing of the discussion, just as it would be if I said that only evil steams from Christianity. I haven't much time for talking with extremists, soz.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post

and instead, you think it's enough to meet your own?......if you create your own requirements you'd best be in a position to create your own paradise......
    I'm not conceited enough to think that anything I do on earth should be in pay for some sort of paradise after death. *Everyone* lives by their own moral requirements.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    Hmmm... interesting, the founder Joseph Smith Jr was a con man wanted for a huge number of crimes...
    and today there are millions of people who are making choices to believe that Jesus was the son of God and died to save them from their sins.....which is more important in determining whether someone is a Christian......what the guy who started their religion believed, or what they believe......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm not conceited enough to think that anything I do on earth should be in pay for some sort of paradise after death. *Everyone* lives by their own moral requirements.
    is it conceit to believe that the things we do on earth might result in punishment, then?.....
    ...full immersion.....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

is it conceit to believe that the things we do on earth might result in punishment, then?.....
    Who believes in punishment in an afterlife except those who think they're going to paradise?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Who believes in punishment in an afterlife except those who think they're going to paradise?
    fair enough.....let me rephrase.....is it conceit to disbelieve?......
    ...full immersion.....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

fair enough.....let me rephrase.....is it conceit to disbelieve?......
    I'm not sure, i don't think the words quiet describe the concept, but that's probably more a failure of language.

Like, there is a difference in saying 'There is a paradise, and I deserve it' and 'I don't think there is a hell'. If there is a hell i may well deserve it, idk, its up to whatever and however it is judged. It would be conceited for me to say 'I don't think there is a hell, but if there is, i don't deserve to go to it.'

So in summery - being an atheist doesn't mean you're not conceited about rewards/punishment in an afterlife. I guess.
    Last edited by Noir; 10-18-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you're of the opinion that good only comes from Christianity then fair enough, you're on the extreme wing of the discussion, just as it would be if I said that only evil steams from Christianity. I haven't much time for talking with extremists, soz.
    Nor do I have time to talk with those who deliberately mischaracterize what I say. I was speaking about a specific good, and indicated as much by putting "that" in quotations.

You removed those quotations and characterized what I said as "that good only only comes from Christianity."

Such deliberate manipulation of language can only come from an extremist.
    Mama Jeffro: Jeeeeh-froooo! What's going on down there? What's that smell?
    Jeffro: Nothing ma! Me and Lorenzo are practicing our Turkish oil wrestling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    I, having been raised in the LDS church can't recall the part where you claim GOD and Jesus did visit. If this is true, I have to get back to Church since I can't recall ever hearing about that. I know about the restoration of the Priesthood but am not aware of the event you mention at Kirtland.

I shall do what I can do to get caught up. Thanks for the heads up.
    You're not familiar with the First Vision where The Father and Son appeared to Joseph Smith to open the dispensation? It's an event missionaries teach in the First discussion.

Christ's appearance to Oliver and Joseph is recorded in D&C 110.

Appearance of the Father and Son to the School of Prophets.
    Last edited by avatar4321; 10-18-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Do Mormons accept that Jesus is the Saviour of all mankind? That he is the Son of God and only thru him may a person receive Salvation? If yes then they are Christians if answer is no then they are not. Just that simple.
    Yes. The answer to that question will always be Yes.

Which is one of the reasons I have no doubt Christ knows that I follow Him.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and today there are millions of people who are making choices to believe that Jesus was the son of God and died to save them from their sins.....which is more important in determining whether someone is a Christian......what the guy who started their religion believed, or what they believe......

Revelations 19

I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war.12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself.13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean.15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.”[a] He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
    king of kings and lord of lords.
    17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud voice to all the birds flying in midair,“Come, gather together for the great supper of God, 18 so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and the mighty, of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people, free and slave, great and small.”
    19 Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage war against the rider on the horse and his army.20 But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped its image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.21 The rest were killed with the sword coming out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh.
    No, i don't think you're right. Twisting the words of the Bible is much worse.
    What's that quote... "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    More than a shame. Our entire Educational system in this nation is a shameful example of Politics, Money, and Power, all directed toward targets that DO NOT INCLUDE our Children First.

We all know it. And those who claim to be Politicians across this nation know. MONEY TALKS, and Uneducated Americans DO NOT CARE.
    It truly is shameful. We need to totally change our education system.