Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    It is customary to deny extra-curricular activities to kids whose grades are poor, but this is a whole different thing. Where is the ACLU on this? Oh, that's right, they're too busy fighting Christianity.
    Yep, they sure do deny certain things based on grades - but denying religion? That's an entirely different ballgame. Even some stated in this very thread that it's mandatory for Muslims and they need to pray 5 times per day. Well, if it's mandatory, why deny it to underachieving kids? It's an insult to ALL religions for a SCHOOL to tell any of us when we should pray and what we need to do in order to get that "privilege". They are denying certain kids the ability to pray while giving it to others. Nowhere in any religion that I am aware of is getting good grades a prerequisite for having a connection with God, or whatever their religion chooses to have faith in. And just as much as I stated that they should allow Christians and Catholics, I would say it equally to the Muslim kids who would be denied - either give the accommodation to all, or none.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    If it's not Scriptural, then it doesn't apply.
    If you read the thread in it's entirety, and followed my links, you would see that the 3 prayers per day are backed up with various verses. But regardless it would still apply, at least if you are a member of the Roman Catholic Church. If you are, then it applies to you whether there is verse or not. If you disagree with that, then you likely aren't a Catholic. NO ONE should be telling another that it doesn't apply. If someone doesn't follow, or is a Christian, or Baptist, or Lutheran... I don't tell them their way of following Christ is wrong because of differences, and neither should others tell some that following the Catholic Church be wrong. We all have different faiths, different ways of praying and different times when we choose to pray.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    If you read the thread in it's entirety, and followed my links, you would see that the 3 prayers per day are backed up with various verses. But regardless it would still apply, at least if you are a member of the Roman Catholic Church. If you are, then it applies to you whether there is verse or not. If you disagree with that, then you likely aren't a Catholic. NO ONE should be telling another that it doesn't apply. If someone doesn't follow, or is a Christian, or Baptist, or Lutheran... I don't tell them their way of following Christ is wrong because of differences, and neither should others tell some that following the Catholic Church be wrong. We all have different faiths, different ways of praying and different times when we choose to pray.
    I'm not a Catholic nor do I condemn them for praying, that would be silly.

Let me be more clear. There's nothing in the Bible stating that the Lord requires or commands Christians to pray at certain times of the day.
    Homophobe (n) - a perjorative term invented by homosexual advocates in an attempt to pretend that people with a natural dislike of homosexual relations, are somehow "afraid" of something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I'm not a Catholic nor do I condemn them for praying, that would be silly.

Let me be more clear. There's nothing in the Bible stating that the Lord requires or commands Christians to pray at certain times of the day.
    That is correct, but enough in there to see that Jesus did at certain times and wanted the Apostles to do the same. But commanded, no. But for Catholics, it IS kind of demanded, as it's in various forms down to canonical law. If one disagrees, then they are likely not Catholic. That's cool, and I harbor no ill will, but those people shouldn't tell me that I am wrong or that I shouldn't do so.

Some people say the Rosary every single day. Some read a portion of the Bible every day. There are lots of things that people do daily, which can run through families on down. Rarely are they mandatory, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it is somehow wrong.

Similar to confession. While some think it's wrong, that we should confess to no man, many of us also think a priest is a "lifeline" to Christ, in a manner. So if they choose to speak to God through an intermediary, so be it. Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

To spice things up a little

If Tarzan and Jane were Muslim, what would cheetah the chimpanzee be?

A: The smart one.
    A: Pregnant.
    A: The hated Jew

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is correct, but enough in there to see that Jesus did at certain times and wanted the Apostles to do the same. But commanded, no. But for Catholics, it IS kind of demanded, as it's in various forms down to canonical law. If one disagrees, then they are likely not Catholic. That's cool, and I harbor no ill will, but those people shouldn't tell me that I am wrong or that I shouldn't do so.

Some people say the Rosary every single day. Some read a portion of the Bible every day. There are lots of things that people do daily, which can run through families on down. Rarely are they mandatory, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it is somehow wrong.

Similar to confession. While some think it's wrong, that we should confess to no man, many of us also think a priest is a "lifeline" to Christ, in a manner. So if they choose to speak to God through an intermediary, so be it. Different strokes for different folks.

We are in agreement. I will say this, more prayer could never hurt. [Unless you happen to be a muslim praying about jihad.]
    Homophobe (n) - a perjorative term invented by homosexual advocates in an attempt to pretend that people with a natural dislike of homosexual relations, are somehow "afraid" of something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

We are in agreement. I will say this, more prayer could never hurt. [Unless you happen to be a muslim praying about jihad.]
    Remember this post of mine and save it....

Ever watch pre-race rituals of Nascar events? They always have a priest or similar come to give an invocation, and the 100,000+ in attendance love it. Then many times after NFL games, you will see anywhere from 10-30 of the players meet at midfield where the logos are, to pray together and thank God for the blessed abilities and that no one was hurt, or to pray for an injured person.

Now, how long before either of these leagues get complains and become politically correct, so as not to offend anyone? Nascar will be last, as their fan base will revolt of they do so. But I can see the NFL getting worse and worse about what they allow, and it's only a matter of time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remember this post of mine and save it....

Ever watch pre-race rituals of Nascar events? They always have a priest or similar come to give an invocation, and the 100,000+ in attendance love it. Then many times after NFL games, you will see anywhere from 10-30 of the players meet at midfield where the logos are, to pray together and thank God for the blessed abilities and that no one was hurt, or to pray for an injured person.

Now, how long before either of these leagues get complains and become politically correct, so as not to offend anyone? Nascar will be last, as their fan base will revolt of they do so. But I can see the NFL getting worse and worse about what they allow, and it's only a matter of time.

Football games are very patriotic. The sing the National anthem, there is always a showing of the US military, often times a fly-over or a paratrooper dropping in. I've seen the American flag nearly the size of the field carried on and unfolded by military personnel and so on. I've seen a Bald Eagle released to fly a couple laps around the field. I've seen those soldiers that do that cool routine with there guns. [I've been to a lot of Football games]

It's probably the real reason the left is attacking the NFL.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Football games are very patriotic. The sing the National anthem, there is always a showing of the US military, often times a fly-over or a paratrooper dropping in. I've seen the American flag nearly the size of the field carried on and unfolded by military personnel and so on. I've seen a Bald Eagle released to fly a couple laps around the field. I've seen those soldiers that do that cool routine with there guns. [I've been to a lot of Football games]

It's probably the real reason the left is attacking the NFL.
    Yep, the NFL has always been huge supporters of our military. They always have some sort of 'guard' on hand for every game, the huge flags like you point out, the fly-overs... Many times they will even go abroad and broadcast so that those overseas on duty get to watch the games. You would be surprised how many terrible towels you see from our troops!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, the NFL has always been huge supporters of our military. They always have some sort of 'guard' on hand for every game, the huge flags like you point out, the fly-overs... Many times they will even go abroad and broadcast so that those overseas on duty get to watch the games. You would be surprised how many terrible towels you see from our troops!
    I never understood what is so terrible about a yellow towel?

Go Browns!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    to spice things up a little

if tarzan and jane were muslim, what would cheetah the chimpanzee be?

A: The smart one.
    A: Pregnant.
    A: The hated jew

​a: Dinner.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I never understood what is so terrible about a yellow towel?
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZqYrCFACXsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
    you beat me to it.
    You asked to me show that the Liturgy of the Hours wasn't traditional for the laity. The link I posted does exactly that.
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. -- Susan B. Anthony

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    You asked to me show that the Liturgy of the Hours wasn't traditional for the laity. The link I posted does exactly that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy_of_the_Hours
    The Liturgy of the Hours (Latin: Liturgia Horarum) or Divine Office (Latin: Officium Divinum) or canonical hours, often referred to as the Breviary, is the official set of daily prayers prescribed by the Catholic Church to be recited by clergy, religious institutes, and laity.
    The Liturgy of the Hours, along with the Eucharist, has formed part of the Church's public worship from the earliest times.
    end

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

^^ Good post, Marcus. At least some will see it for what it is and realize I didn't make things up or lie. Admittedly I'm no expert on terminology and what not, I'm FAR from a perfect Catholic. But I know what I was taught when I was a kid and I know what others follow. Why anyone at all would be so adamant that something like this doesn't exist is beyond me.

It goes back full circle then. The Muslim kids are perhaps being given an opportunity to pray, on class time, and to leave class to do so. My inquiries remain the same from the beginning - are they offering the same accommodations to others? Someone or a few intimated it was different as Muslims pray at specified times. I think now that it's been CLEARLY shown that Catholics, under canonical law, have similar times. Granted, Catholics can have these hours changed, pray at other times, or miss them altogether without punishment. But that doesn't mean that those who do follow the hours should be treated differently than others who are accommodated. And if one says that a Catholic can say their prayers at any give time, outside of what canonical law calls for, then so can Muslim children, where the religion only expects one to make up the prayer if they cannot do it on time. Sounds almost identical to me.