Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How many times is Christianity mentioned in the US Constitution?

How many times is Christianity mentioned in the US Constitution or even the Declaration of Independence? How about in the Federalist Papers, a group of essays addressing the fears of anti-Federalists?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Character Assasination

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Yeah, because you're a regular angel in this department
    If you can't win a fair debate you throw mud, is that it? REGARDLESS on his actions elsewhere, He's Right! Period! You can disagree with him as is your right, but character assassination is uncalled for as well. you might as well be _bama

Think Solyndra and you have my city. Not far from San Jose and SE of San Francisco.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Source is Wikiepedia

Religion

Lambert (2003) has examined the religious affiliations and beliefs of the Founders. Of the 55 delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention, 49 were Protestants, and two were Roman Catholics (D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons). Among the Protestant delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 28 were Church of England (or Episcopalian, after the American Revolutionary War was won), eight were Presbyterians, seven were Congregationalists, two were Lutherans, two were Dutch Reformed, and two were Methodists.
    A few prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical Christians, such as Thomas Jefferson[18][19][20] (who created the so-called "Jefferson Bible") and Benjamin Franklin.[21] Others (most notably Thomas Paine) were deists, or at least held beliefs very similar to those of deists.[22]
    Historian Gregg L. Frazer argues that the leading Founders (Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Wilson, Morris, Madison, Hamilton, and Washington) were neither Christians nor Deists, but rather supporters of a hybrid "theistic rationalism".[23]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    Religion

Lambert (2003) has examined the religious affiliations and beliefs of the Founders. Of the 55 delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention, 49 were Protestants, and two were Roman Catholics (D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons). Among the Protestant delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 28 were Church of England (or Episcopalian, after the American Revolutionary War was won), eight were Presbyterians, seven were Congregationalists, two were Lutherans, two were Dutch Reformed, and two were Methodists.
    A few prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical Christians, such as Thomas Jefferson[18][19][20] (who created the so-called "Jefferson Bible") and Benjamin Franklin.[21] Others (most notably Thomas Paine) were deists, or at least held beliefs very similar to those of deists.[22]
    Historian Gregg L. Frazer argues that the leading Founders (Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Wilson, Morris, Madison, Hamilton, and Washington) were neither Christians nor Deists, but rather supporters of a hybrid "theistic rationalism".[23]
    thank you for the info, i think this shows why we have specific Freedom of Religion
    Christian Democrat has become an oxymoron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Whit View Post
    Religion

America being founded by Christians =\= America founded as a Christian nation
    for example, the founder of debatepolicy.com is a conservative, but...ah shit..bad example.
    see: Amendment I for more.
    He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.AeschylusRead more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...zeMUwcpY1Io.99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

America was founded by a mix of people, almost all of whom were formally Christian, but the faith of many of them was no more than conventional and superficial. Really deeply pious types seem to have been the minority, although they certainly were represented. A large minority were also Deists of some kind, and there were a number of Masons.

The Founders represent a complex religious picture, but the English libertarian tradition--best represented by Locke--andFrench Enlightenment philosophers like Montesquieu and, above all perhaps, the pagan classical thinkers and historians, had a greater influence on the Early American Republic than the Bible, but it would also be wrong to call biblical influences insignificant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It is my opinion, given the extraordinary evidence to suggest otherwise, a grave wrong would be to state that our abundant CHRISTIAN founders who often quoted the Bible and added GOD into the equation of our early documents that was to be our foundation didn't have the GREATEST influence of our birth and maturity as a Nation. To this day, as seen from those who laid down their lives during WWII, we see a predominantly CHRISTIAN sacrifice in benefiting the world. So, sir, I dare say that THROUGHOUT our history, we are a Christian Nation that honors and tolerates ALL religions.....even the cults that would have our heads.
    NEVER MESS WITH AN
    IRISH/SCOTT/ITALIAN CHEROKEE!

"A wise man is at the right hand but a fool is at the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
    "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God" Psalms 53:1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    I find your tone appalling.....and uncalled for...
    when he first came on board he was fairly polite. As it was pointed out his method of thinking is wrong and absurd he has gotten progressively vulgar.

Such is with progressives, I guess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    when he first came on board he was fairly polite. As it was pointed out his method of thinking is wrong and absurd he has gotten progressively vulgar.

Such is with progressives, I guess.
    IIRC, GW said he used to be conservative. That would explain his initial manners.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GW in Ohio View Post
    Oh, fuck you.

This country was founded by a bunch of Deists and renegade Christians who had seen first-hand what dogmatic Christian dogma can do to wreck people's lives and they definitely were against identifying this country with any one religion.

You might argue that this is a Christian nation because most people are nominally Christian, but there is no official religion.

And most of the people who are nominally Christian couldn't give a rat's ass about going to church or practicing Christianity.
    Wow. Someone has some serious issues.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh, fuck you.
    Hey GW, you wanna jump in the mud with me boy? Many here are goodhearted souls and will stay above this kind of shit but not me, i'm a dirtbag........i'll shove the mud down your throat and cut off your windpipe till you slowly suffocate. Maybe its best for lightweights like you to rethink starting off a debate by telling people to fuck off.

Just a friendly warning......friend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    Hey GW, you wanna jump in the mud with me boy? Many here are goodhearted souls and will stay above this kind of shit but not me, i'm a dirtbag........i'll shove the mud down your throat and cut off your windpipe till you slowly suffocate. Maybe its best for lightweights like you to rethink starting off a debate by telling people to fuck off.

Just a friendly warning......friend.

Nice to see you're back in your best form, OCA. These last two posts were gawddam priceless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Nice to see you're back in your best form, OCA. These last two posts were gawddam priceless.

I'm in a testy mood today friend, high humidity does that to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    I'm in a testy mood today friend, high humidity does that to me.
    Git yer ass out west here then. What the fuck is a cowboy like you doin' fartin' around back east there with all the sons a bitchin' city slickers and flat landers anyway?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, fuck you.

This country was founded by a bunch of Deists and renegade Christians who had seen first-hand what dogmatic Christian dogma can do to wreck people's lives and they definitely were against identifying this country with any one religion.

You might argue that this is a Christian nation because most people are nominally Christian, but there is no official religion.

And most of the people who are nominally Christian couldn't give a rat's ass about going to church or practicing Christianity.
    you know if you dont agree with the conclusions set forth in the post there are much more civil ways of dealing with it. your reaction tells us more about your own assumption of the strength of your position then it does to anything the original poster said.