Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post

The guide for this trip asked the Marines to rush this dune to get an idea of what the Marines who took Iwo Jima faced upon landing. Every step you take up, you slide down and into the dune. You have to work hard to get to the top. Imagine doing that with 100 lbs on your back while being shot at and artillery raining down on you.
    Photo courtesy of Col Warren Wiedhahn USMC(Ret)
    Thanks for the refresher course. I've done everything they think they can throw at you. The Corps is ALWAYS trying to prove we are better and they put your ass through the ringer doing it. I couldn't even tell you how I survived some of that shit. Probably because I just refused to quit. I'd rather have died. You can kill me, but you ain't gonna break me.

Rain on a muddy hill is just as bad. Crap. You make a mistake you slide all the f*cking way back down.

And for info purposes, I spent my 39th birthday on Iwo Jima. I was like "yea". They forgot to bring a f*cking cake.
    Last edited by Gunny; 04-24-2016 at 09:57 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Thanks for the refresher course. I've done everything they think they can throw at you. The Corps is ALWAYS trying to prove we are better and they put your ass through the ringer doing it. I couldn't even tell you how I survived some of that shit. Probably because I just refused to quit. I'd rather have died. You can kill me, but you ain't gonna break me.

Rain on a muddy hill is just as bad. Crap. You make a mistake you slide all the f*cking way back down.

And for info purposes, I spent my 39th birthday on Iwo Jima. I was like "yea". They forgot to bring a f*cking cake.
    just curious but what were you doing on Jima??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

libtards even today call me a baby killer and claim i have PSTD ah PDST well shit you know

they still think im a reeeeeeal dangerous man
    Oh the irony of liberals calling anyone else a baby killer.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

4. Thanks Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    i play up to it. yes im a baby killer i belonged to the 176 bat 137 platoon 241 engineers 101st airborne etc and our job was to tie those lil bastard to trees if they didn't give us what we want we whacked of their little pecker

know what they bought it !!!!

6. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Are you kidding? They thought it was cool thing to do while we were meandering around the ocean on warships. "Hey, let's stop here." Sure. Can we hit Mt Vesuvius too? Hell it might erupt and we wouldn't want to miss THAT.

You're asking ME why dumbass officers do dumbass shit?

Crap. We're going to have PME. In PA in February because the weather's so good. If you like a 40 degree cold drizzle. SO what do you think SSgt? Looks like a cow pasture to me. And Lee was stupid and should have listened to Longstreet. Otherwise, I'm cold, wet and hungry and it STILL looks like a cow pasture. And I hate riding for hours on a bus with you dumbass jarheads to look at a freakin cow pasture.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Are you kidding? They thought it was cool thing to do while we were meandering around the ocean on warships. "Hey, let's stop here." Sure. Can we hit Mt Vesuvius too? Hell it might erupt and we wouldn't want to miss THAT.

You're asking ME why dumbass officers do dumbass shit?

Crap. We're going to have PME. In PA in February because the weather's so good. If you like a 40 degree cold drizzle. SO what do you think SSgt? Looks like a cow pasture to me. And Lee was stupid and should have listened to Longstreet. Otherwise, I'm cold, wet and hungry and it STILL looks like a cow pasture. And I hate riding for hours on a bus with you dumbass jarheads to look at a freakin cow pasture.
    just wondering because you can't land there without permission from the Jap Gov no exceptions. yeah today's USN might drop you off at Capt Nemo's island volcania

9. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Too much Oliver Stone and John Kerry propaganda.. I was in more trouble for protecting babies. I still am. And anyone that calls me, or any vet around me a babykiller can stand the fuck by. You're going to get hit, and hard. I remember them calling my dad that. Then me. I don't know of, and have never seen a vet that would harm a child. There's always that one idiot, but he's the exception, not the rule. And if you want to set me off? You just go right the fuck ahead.

This coming from idiots as you say will murder unborn humans. We didn't do that shit and no one would allow it. We're combatants and we fought combatants. And kicked their asses. I ain't fighting some 2 years old. That's just bullshit.
    Last edited by Gunny; 04-25-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I have heard Coasties called baby killers by flaming liberals.
    Just because we wore a uniform.

That is a "WTF is your problem" moment when I hear that crap!
    26 of my 37 years were in Search and Rescue and Maritime Law
    Enforcement, with over 4 years as a beach lifeguard.

I never counted my number of cases with lives saved - perhaps well
    over 750....Lives assisted, another 2500.

Baby Killer? Deserves three sharp smacks over both ears
    for the one uttering it.
    Last edited by Elessar; 04-25-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

12. Thanks Abbey Marie, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

just wondering because you can't land there without permission from the Jap Gov no exceptions. yeah today's USN might drop you off at Capt Nemo's island volcania
    Same in Hong Kong. I guess I just got lucky. We had permission to go both places last float. I have no idea about the politics that got us either place. They both sucked to me. We're on a pump? Just beeline to Thailand or Bali for liberty where the beer's cheap. I do NOT appreciate sightseeing. Maybe because my mother wanted to do it every weekend to "give the boys some culture." I wanted to play football with my friends. Not look at some dead guy's house. Which was always made WAY happier because my dad had a captive audience and would lecture us all the way there and back.

I'd have preferred Capt Nemo to that crap.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I have heard Coasties called baby killers by flaming liberals.
    Just because we wore a uniform.

That is a "WTF is your problem" moment when I hear that crap!
    26 of my 37 years were in Search and Rescue and Maritime Law
    Enforcement, with over 4 years as a beach lifeguard.

I never counted my number of cases with lives saved - perhaps well
    over 750....Lives assisted, another 2500.

Baby Killer? Deserves three sharp smacks over both ears
    for the one uttering it.
    Y'all run that cutter right up to shore and hit daycares with 3" guns? You bastards. I won't tolerate the crap. As I said, I started hearing that crap leveled at my dad when I was kid. He was a freakin' linguist. What? Think he talked some baby to death in a foreign language? He only got his ass shot up because he was on guard.

The other one I hate is "we support the troops, just not the war" from stupid lefties. It's like give me a break. Lesson learned from the backlash y'all got from the way you treated Vietnam vets? You're not fooling ME one bit with your hollow words.

And btw, I have more Humanitarian assist medals than combat ones. People are just flat stupid sometimes.
    Last edited by Gunny; 04-25-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Gunny. I'd like to know the answer to that one too! What ship was taking you there, and what year? If you don't mind sharing with us curious ones here.
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Yes Gunny. I'd like to know the answer to that one too! What ship was taking you there, and what year? If you don't mind sharing with us curious ones here.
    USS Boxer. *deleted*.

I choose to not explain myself to you. You have consistently questioned me for no reason. And I'm kind of sick of it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

USS Boxer. *deleted*.

I choose to not explain myself to you. You have consistently questioned me for no reason. And I'm kind of sick of it.

WTF are you talking about? I only asked you two questions..because I am a navy vet. Nothing more, nothing less. Damn man. That's what someone gets for trying to be a reasonable person? That chip on your shoulder is making you a really angry kind of guy. My apologies for asking.
    So, this is for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    WTF are you talking about? I only asked you two questions..because I am a navy vet. Nothing more, nothing less. Damn man. That's what someone gets for trying to be a reasonable person? That chip on your shoulder is making you a really angry kind of guy. My apologies for asking.
    I will clarify my statement upon further review of it.

I made two statements that can be construed as together, but are actually two separate statements. We went to Iwo Jima because I guess someone thought it was cool. You know as well as I do no one comes and asks the Gunny if he wants to go.

We did not do any training there. We were tourists basically. The statement about training was separate. I was in the 13th MEU deployed on the USS Boxer. I remember it only because it was my birthday and I'm looking at this stupid rock and supposed to be impressed. As mentioned in another thread or somewhere, I've never appreciated sightseeing. I was totally uninterested and didn't bother getting off the ship. I got some pics from the deck. That's about it. If I ever see my photo albums again I'll see about posting a couple.

I also remember on that deployment we floated around for awhile until they negotiated us a couple of days in Hong Kong. Another craphole. I remember that only because it was New Year's Eve. Tijuana is better than that place. And anyone on here that thinks Chinese people eat what Americans call Chinese food is nuts. I stuck to the beer and when I ate, it was on the damned ship.

The only real reasons I remember that float more than others is the smoke deck was the fantail. I could go look at the stars. On the Tarawa it was in the well deck. I got to look at LCACs and Hummers.

I didn't mean to snap at you and I apologize. This baby is sick and hasn't stopped wailing for 3 days. It gets on your nerves.

19. Thanks Kathianne, Abbey Marie, aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I will clarify my statement upon further review of it.

I made two statements that can be construed as together, but are actually two separate statements. We went to Iwo Jima because I guess someone thought it was cool. You know as well as I do no one comes and asks the Gunny if he wants to go.

We did not do any training there. We were tourists basically. The statement about training was separate. I was in the 13th MEU deployed on the USS Boxer. I remember it only because it was my birthday and I'm looking at this stupid rock and supposed to be impressed. As mentioned in another thread or somewhere, I've never appreciated sightseeing. I was totally uninterested and didn't bother getting off the ship. I got some pics from the deck. That's about it. If I ever see my photo albums again I'll see about posting a couple.

I also remember on that deployment we floated around for awhile until they negotiated us a couple of days in Hong Kong. Another craphole. I remember that only because it was New Year's Eve. Tijuana is better than that place. And anyone on here that thinks Chinese people eat what Americans call Chinese food is nuts. I stuck to the beer and when I ate, it was on the damned ship.

The only real reasons I remember that float more than others is the smoke deck was the fantail. I could go look at the stars. On the Tarawa it was in the well deck. I got to look at LCACs and Hummers.

I didn't mean to snap at you and I apologize. This baby is sick and hasn't stopped wailing for 3 days. It gets on your nerves.

Thanks Gunny. Now, I'll tell you how really old I am. I once visited the First ship named BOXER when it was in the Norfolk Naval base....in 1966. It was also an LHA, but only had the flight deck, and no Well deck then. That's why I asked what I did.
    I also was at pier 9 aboard the USS LaSalle when the Damaged USS Forrestal CVA-59 came home after their deadly fire. We stood on deck, and could smell the burnt equipment, and the Forrestal was on pier 11. That was long before the LCAC was invented.
    So, this is for them.