Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    What was it like when Elvis died? Or John Lennon?
    He is not able to understand that some very lucky people may become a part of the others' lifes. And with their death a part of your life has gone too. It is sad and it is a reason for condolences.
    Therefore it is useless to demand and to expect the impossible from people. We all are different.
    Indifferent alike to praise or blame
    Give heed, O Muse, but to the voice Divine
    Fearing not injury, nor seeking fame,
    Nor casting pearls to swine.
    (A.Pushkin)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    How do y'all feel about those roadside crosses installed where a loved one died in an accident?
    I see no problem with that from my standpoint.

That is where the spirit departed.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

3. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm not a celebrity watcher. I do think a prayer for the departed is just that, sort of a 'golden rule' type of thing. Gushing on any celebrity just isn't my thing, nor interest. LOL!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

5. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    What was it like when Elvis died? Or John Lennon?
    t

For me? Meant nothing to me. I didn't know either of them personally. The media went gaga and the little fans, but it makes no sense to me. I still had to go to work.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I completely agree. Why do people eulogize and cry about celebrities that they've never met? I hope they are doing at least as much for their friends and family, but I suspect they don't. It is ironic, but the chances are that the friends and family were much better people than the celebrities. (No offense to any celebrities on the board )
    Closer to home, but I've noticed if we treated our families/those around us even half as nice in life as we do when they die, we'd live in a very different world.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks Russ thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm not a celebrity watcher. I do think a prayer for the departed is just that, sort of a 'golden rule' type of thing. Gushing on any celebrity just isn't my thing, nor interest. LOL!
    There are only a handful I would lament.

John Wayne was one....

The rest to be determined.
    I have lost my mind. If found, please give it a snack and return it?

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of others"...John Wayne in "The Shootist"

A Deplorable!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balu View Post
    He is not able to understand that some very lucky people may become a part of the others' lifes. And with their death a part of your life has gone too. It is sad and it is a reason for condolences.
    Therefore it is useless to demand and to expect the impossible from people. We all are different.
    I'm not the one not understanding here. Balu. When I go? Incinerate my ass and throw the ashes in the Frio River where I used to swim. Get a keg and have a party. Don't cry on my ass.

AND, @Balu, if you think I don't know what loss is, try being in the actual military.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Explain. I've watched for years as people post RIP threads for people they don't know. Some celebrity, usually. Why? They're dead. So who is all the crying for? The living. Why do we do that? No, why do we spend an inordinate amount of time over it?

Lot's of celebrities have died this year. Sucks most of them are close to my age. Would y'all get together and have a party when I kick it? Country music, thanks. I promise I won't know a thing.

And I do not consider it a sign of respect to pay homage to someone you wouldn't know if they fell out of the sky.

Gunny. I understand where you are coming from with your near-whine about RIP. But, like it or not. Anyone who says that, does so for a reason. It's called, or generally referred to as paying respects, showing humanity, or expressing feelings toward people we may, or may not know. Ya know? Like Being Human.
    I know, after I kick the bucket..I won't get to hear all the funny, nice, terrible things people will say about me, like you won't. Truth is. It kinda pisses me off I WON'T BE IN CONTROL after I take the LONG SLEEP.
    AND, I find it really makes me mad...I won't be around for the celebration...THAT'S WHAT THEY CALL IT....after I'm gone. Wouldn't it be cool to hear what they have to say while still alive????
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

12. Thanks Gunny, Elessar thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Gunny. I understand where you are coming from with your near-whine about RIP. But, like it or not. Anyone who says that, does so for a reason. It's called, or generally referred to as paying respects, showing humanity, or expressing feelings toward people we may, or may not know. Ya know? Like Being Human.
    I know, after I kick the bucket..I won't get to hear all the funny, nice, terrible things people will say about me, like you won't. Truth is. It kinda pisses me off I WON'T BE IN CONTROL after I take the LONG SLEEP.
    AND, I find it really makes me mad...I won't be around for the celebration...THAT'S WHAT THEY CALL IT....after I'm gone. Wouldn't it be cool to hear what they have to say while still alive????
    Yeah. Hearing what they have to say and having the opportunity to call BULLSHIT!

You got the whine thing wrong though. I'm just throwing sh*t against the wall to see what sticks. At the same time, the question is legit. I don't get why we do all that crap for dead bodies. Know what a funeral costs nowadays? (Mine's free/paid for so it ain't about me)

14. Thanks aboutime thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

When I kick off, I just want them to cremate me and take me up above the canyon above the cabin and sprinkle my ashes in the river for one last ride down the whitewater.

Buying a casket and a funeral is hideously expensive and pointless... this body is just a temporary shell for now.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

16. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yeah. Hearing what they have to say and having the opportunity to call BULLSHIT!

You got the whine thing wrong though. I'm just throwing sh*t against the wall to see what sticks. At the same time, the question is legit. I don't get why we do all that crap for dead bodies. Know what a funeral costs nowadays? (Mine's free/paid for so it ain't about me)

Got ya Gunny. Bottom line, if you think about it. Being pissed off doesn't do us any good. Once we take our last breath, become worm dirt, kick that bucket. All the sh*t being thrown at the wall will mean nothing. Once someone is DEAD. They are DEAD for a really long time. My funeral is paid for too! Just gotta keep using BRASSO to shine the URN every couple of years!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
    Got ya Gunny. Bottom line, if you think about it. Being pissed off doesn't do us any good. Once we take our last breath, become worm dirt, kick that bucket. All the sh*t being thrown at the wall will mean nothing. Once someone is DEAD. They are DEAD for a really long time. My funeral is paid for too! Just gotta keep using BRASSO to shine the URN every couple of years!
    I'm not pissed at all, AT. "Throwing sh*t against wall" : just digging up something to talk about. Creativity is not my strong suit. I generally react to what others post. When no one's posting much I start poking around.

The amount of money spent on funerals is absurd. When you add in personal expenses for attendees as well? I'll pass.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Closer to home, but I've noticed if we treated our families/those around us even half as nice in life as we do when they die, we'd live in a very different world.
    That's quite a profound statement, Gunny. I will remember that.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

20. Thanks Gunny, Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    That's quite a profound statement, Gunny. I will remember that.
    I'm a Louis Armstrong fan. I just don't let my wishes get in the way of my reality.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I'm not pissed at all, AT. "Throwing sh*t against wall" : just digging up something to talk about. Creativity is not my strong suit. I generally react to what others post. When no one's posting much I start poking around.

The amount of money spent on funerals is absurd. When you add in personal expenses for attendees as well? I'll pass.

As for me, I'm gonna get Cremated, then the Lady will call the Coast Guard to take the box out to sea and "splash".

No muss, no fuss, just send her the SBP.
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

23. Thanks Gunny thanked this post