Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and look what President Bush's policies have caused........

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content...34.html?nav=10

Trade winds pick up; fire threat increases
    By EDWIN TANJI, City Editor
    POSTED: August 6, 2008 Sa
    The Maui News / AMANDA COWAN photo

KAHULUI - The return of the trade winds should temper the temperature extremes that occurred around the state over the weekend, but it will be increasing the wildfire threat, Maui weather analyst Glenn James said Tuesday.

Even as a brush fire broke out at Pulehu on Tuesday (see related story below), a fire- weather watch was issued giving notice of an increased fire hazard.

"The National Weather Service issued a watch, which means we all have to be very, very careful about not lighting any fires right now," he said.

It may appear to be an abrupt change in conditions, after Maui County experienced a record low 64 degrees on Sunday that combined with steady afternoon showers to provide another near record 65 degrees on Monday, before the daytime temperature zipped up to a high of 91 degrees that afternoon.

It was all brought on by a low-pressure trough that was sliding north of Kauai, cutting off the normal trade wind flows, said James, senior weather analyst with the Pacific Disaster Center.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    Out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and look what President Bush's policies have caused........

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content...34.html?nav=10

Trade winds pick up; fire threat increases
    By EDWIN TANJI, City Editor
    POSTED: August 6, 2008 Sa
    The Maui News / AMANDA COWAN photo

KAHULUI - The return of the trade winds should temper the temperature extremes that occurred around the state over the weekend, but it will be increasing the wildfire threat, Maui weather analyst Glenn James said Tuesday.

Even as a brush fire broke out at Pulehu on Tuesday (see related story below), a fire- weather watch was issued giving notice of an increased fire hazard.

"The National Weather Service issued a watch, which means we all have to be very, very careful about not lighting any fires right now," he said.

It may appear to be an abrupt change in conditions, after Maui County experienced a record low 64 degrees on Sunday that combined with steady afternoon showers to provide another near record 65 degrees on Monday, before the daytime temperature zipped up to a high of 91 degrees that afternoon.

It was all brought on by a low-pressure trough that was sliding north of Kauai, cutting off the normal trade wind flows, said James, senior weather analyst with the Pacific Disaster Center.

Do you understand the term "global" ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanTUba View Post
    Fortunately, inhomogeneity in the record can be measured - and adjusted for - without knowing its causes.

Specifically, what do you think is wrong with the Karl and Williams approach?
    1. Not really, since adjusting for unknown, statistically significant variables can only skew the data.
    2. Aside from what I've already written and you have failed to factually dispute, not much for now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    1. Not really, since adjusting for unknown, statistically significant variables can only skew the data.
    Define "unknown statistically significant variable"

2. Aside from what I've already written and you have failed to factually dispute, not much for now.
    You haven't specifically stated what your problem with the method is, you've only made general remarks. I sort of have the feeling you aren't at all even familiar with the method. Can you state in a paragraph or less how the method works? Probably not. Yet you dismiss it as flawed. This is because you have decided the method must be wrong since it does not lead to the conclusions you'd like it to, without having even investigating how the method works.

Do I have it right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Define "unknown statistically significant variable"

You haven't specifically stated what your problem with the method is, you've only made general remarks. I sort of have the feeling you aren't at all even familiar with the method. Can you state in a paragraph or less how the method works? Probably not. Yet you dismiss it as flawed. This is because you have decided the method must be wrong since it does not lead to the conclusions you'd like it to, without having even investigating how the method works.
    Do I have it right?
    My God Man can you say.

POT MEET KETTLE
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    My God Man can you say.

POT MEET KETTLE
    Please name the specific scientific method I have dismissed as flawed without investigating how the method works.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Please name the specific scientific method I have dismissed as flawed without investigating how the method works.
    Basic observation.........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Basic observation.........
    Which basic observation?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Which basic observation?
    You have done nothing but ridicule someones personal "visual" observation in another thread...

The most basic scientific priciple is OBSERVATION. Or do you not think so....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You have done nothing but ridicule someones personal "visual" observation in another thread...

The most basic scientific priciple is OBSERVATION. Or do you not think so....
    I've explained ad nauseum why tidal gauges are more accurate for measuring tide levels than picnic tables. I'll try again, and maybe you can tell me which part you don't get.

1) To measure the level of water with something, you have to put that something IN the water. You can't measure the water level with something that is sitting on land. At least not without lasers or radio waves, neither of which applies to a picnic table.

2) Rulers are better for measuring length than picnic tables.

3) Observations that are written down and recorded are better than observations that someone just recalls from 30 years of memory.

Seriously, what is the flaw in my explanation of why tidal gauges are better for measuring tide levels than picnic tables? Can you point it out to me?

So far 100% of respondents disagree with your assertion that picnic tables are better for recording length than rulers. http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=16619
    Last edited by SpidermanTUba; 08-07-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I've explained ad nauseum why tidal gauges are more accurate for measuring tide levels than picnic tables. I'll try again, and maybe you can tell me which part you don't get.

1) To measure the level of water with something, you have to put that something IN the water. You can't measure the water level with something that is sitting on land. At least not without lasers or radio waves, neither of which applies to a picnic table.]
    and if the gruond has shifted in any way or the observation point has been moved in any way? How acurate can it be. YOU must be able to reproduce your exact same perameters..

2) Rulers are better for measuring length than picnic tables.
    Nothing was said about length. i am sure you know that this has not always been true due to the fact that an inch used to be b ased on the length of the monarchs thumb..

3) Observations that are written down and recorded are better than observations that someone just recalls from 30 years of memory.
    this is very true but how do YOU know this has not been a yearly observation and not "just a 30 year old memory". Who's jumping to conclusions now??

Seriously, what is the flaw in my explanation of why tidal gauges are better for measuring tide levels than picnic tables? Can you point it out to me?
    There realy is no flaw but you are so quick to dismiss the basic observations of others!!!

S
    o far 100% of respondents disagree with your assertion that picnic tables are better for recording length than rulers

You are such an ass this is not about what is better, it is about observation!!! and a micrometer is better than a ruler.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=16619

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Do you understand the term "global" ?
    I do, do you understand federal grant money for "scientist" that raise alarm over something that man has no control over?
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and if the gruond has shifted in any way or the observation point has been moved in any way? How acurate can it be. YOU must be able to reproduce your exact same perameters..
    If the ground shifts lower, then the level rises, and if it shifts higher, then it falls, yes.

Nothing was said about length. i am sure you know that this has not always been true due to the fact that an inch used to be b ased on the length of the monarchs thumb..
    We have standardized inches today that are much more standardized than the lengths of picnic tables. What do you mean nothing was said about length? The measurement of a tidal level is a measure given in units of length. Typically its the length in feet and inches from a reference point to the level of the water.

this is very true but how do YOU know this has not been a yearly observation and not "just a 30 year old memory". Who's jumping to conclusions now??
    Because you can't use picnic tables to measure water levels, especially when the picnic table isn't in the water. What is he going to write down every time he makes an observation? Zero?

There realy is no flaw but you are so quick to dismiss the basic observations of others!!!
    I didn't dismiss his observation. I believe that the picnic tables are not submerged. I dismissed his conclusion, which is that the water level hasn't risen an inch. Unless they have 1 inch short picnic tables in Maryland, I don't see how he could have used a picnic table to come to that conclusion.

You are such an ass this is not about what is better, it is about observation!!! and a micrometer is better than a ruler.
    You couldn't use a micrometer to measure water levels. So its would be useless.

But since you agree that tidal gauges are better than picnic tables for measuring tide levels, the actual measurement using tidal gauges over the years sort of calls into question the conclusions reached by observing picnic tables. Especially considering the fact that its physically impossible to measure tide levels using a picnic table that's sitting on land.

The current rate of sea-level rise at the mouth of the Chesapeake is about 4 millimeters per year (about 1.3 feet per century) and decreases northward. Tide gauges with longer periods of record, like that at Solomons Island, Md., midway along the length of the bay, record mean sea level since 1937 and illustrate a 3-millimeter-per-year rate of rise (about 1 foot per century) (fig. 6).

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs102-98/

Do you think that
    a) since we both agree tidal gauges are better for measuring water levels than picnic tables, and
    b) the observations from tidal gauges conflicts with the observations glockmail made using a picnic table, and
    c) Considering the fact that its physically impossible to measure tide levels using a picnic table that's sitting on land.
    d) maybe, just MAYBE, glockmail's conclusions are wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

My response is still the same:
    http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=57

No matter what happens the global warming alarmists are going to claim its caused by global warming. If the ice is melting its global warming, if the ice grows its global warming, if it stays the same its global warming, if it rains more its global warming, if theres a drought its global warming.......

No matter what happens it will be caused by global warming because they have already invested to much personal credibility into it for them to admit they're wrong, just like evolution. No amount of evidence is going to change their minds because it will be to costly to retreat now.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    No matter what happens the global warming alarmists are going to claim its caused by global warming.
    Of course they will, that's the definition of "alarmist"

What does this have to do with the science?