Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Interesting questions.

I figure since "they say" that the universe has no end, that it's infinite, there HAS to be life out there, EXACTLY the same as ours. If not, the term infinite isn't accurate.

The problem I have with thinking the universe is has no end, well they can't prove that either, because by the time they see so far away, the light that's hitting the earth that we see is billions, trillions of light years away, hell, who knows how old it is. What we're looking at may not even be there anymore.
    I heard that someone has measured it. I found this:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ay_040524.html

I am not scientifically minded (heck I can't even work with numbers effectively) so I have no way of challenging or defending this. But it's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider:
    As far as ghosts go, if the body has no soul, then why does the body lose weight upon the moment of death? That would also give one the impression that the soul has mass, and can be measured. And how can people that "die" and are resuscitated know exactly what happened to them while they were dead?

No idea. But it's good that we can wonder about these things. No duobt someone will come along with a perfectly rational explanation and proof and take all the fun out of wondering.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    That's why I like exploring those questions. It fills me with a sense of wonder. Sometimes, when I'm travelling in the outback, I'll be sitting back and looking at the stars and out there with the clear night air and if there are no clouds, the feeling you get looking at all those stars is almost transcendental. It's actually scary to look out and think, "those are all suns, probably larger than ours, they have planets." And then I think, what if we are the only inhabited planet? And usually I'll follow that up with but what if a fraction of those suns have planets with intelligent life? Then I give up because I get a burst of existential angst
    Can you see the Milky Way from down under?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really don't know. I think so. I should know shouldn't I? I can see the Southern Cross, no problems, it's easy to pick out, but the Milky Way...need to find out.

Just had a google, good old NASA...

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap020310.html

Yes, apparently we can. I need to bear that in mind next time I do the outback sky thing. Problem is I can lay on my back and stare at the stars and I get a real weird giddy feeling wondering about those questions and staring at the stars.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard that someone has measured it. I found this:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ay_040524.html

I am not scientifically minded (heck I can't even work with numbers effectively) so I have no way of challenging or defending this. But it's interesting.

No idea. But it's good that we can wonder about these things. No duobt someone will come along with a perfectly rational explanation and proof and take all the fun out of wondering.
    Very interesting. Nice find, and very cool.

Well, according to Wikipedia, the speed of light is 186,282.397 miles per second, not rounded off. So a light year calculates out to be 58,784,998,100,000 miles away. So if they're saying the universe is 156 BILLION light years wide, that's 913,927,072,139,827,200,000,000 miles. Go ahead and try and say that one...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 08-21-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I'd be dribbling down the front of my shirt if I tried to say it, heck I can't even read it without my brain boggling!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I'd be dribbling down the front of my shirt if I tried to say it, heck I can't even read it without my brain boggling!
    But they say the universe is expanding. If they are saying it has a definite size, then what is it expanding into? Wouldn't that be space too?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Milky way, thats a star right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Interesting questions.

I figure since "they say" that the universe has no end, that it's infinite, there HAS to be life out there, EXACTLY the same as ours. If not, the term infinite isn't accurate.

The problem I have with thinking the universe is has no end, well they can't prove that either, because by the time they see so far away, the light that's hitting the earth that we see is billions, trillions of light years away, hell, who knows how old it is. What we're looking at may not even be there anymore.

As far as ghosts go, if the body has no soul, then why does the body lose weight upon the moment of death? That would also give one the impression that the soul has mass, and can be measured. And how can people that "die" and are resuscitated know exactly what happened to them while they were dead?
    Pale I believe the weight loss you are referring to is cause by fluids leaving the body. Along with excrement. When a person dies the bladder, kidneys, liver and bowels all release whatever is in them. Which in turn causes a slight drop in weight. Even gas has weight and gases are released as well.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mathematically, if Evolution Theory is correct, there is no possible way that we are the only intelligent life in the universe.
    ??....just out of curiosity, what is it you THINK Evolution Theory says about the origin of life......since it actually says nothing at all about it......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

??....aren't all the stars we can see without a telescope a part of the Milky Way?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

re: Ghosts.

Sometimes I think about 'time' and how time works. I wonder if what we are seeing as ghosts are actually weird little merges of our time and another. For instance, I wonder of the ghosts see US as ghosts from their perspective? As if our reality and consciousness is bleeding into and overlapping with another. Know what I mean?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    re: Ghosts.

Sometimes I think about 'time' and how time works. I wonder if what we are seeing as ghosts are actually weird little merges of our time and another. For instance, I wonder of the ghosts see US as ghosts from their perspective? As if our reality and consciousness is bleeding into and overlapping with another. Know what I mean?

Sounds kind of Sixth Sense-ish. And makes as much sense as any other explanation.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    ??....aren't all the stars we can see without a telescope a part of the Milky Way?
    No, distinctive stars are not part of the 'Milky Way' as that is the name given to the white strip accross the night sky made up of all the stars that are not distinctly seen as separate entities.

They are officially part of the 'Milky Way Galaxy', but not as the feature named 'Milky Way', of the night sky.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Sounds kind of Sixth Sense-ish. And makes as much sense as any other explanation.
    Thanks - can't back it up, but I know 'Time' is relative. And God is pretty amazing.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    ??....just out of curiosity, what is it you THINK Evolution Theory says about the origin of life......since it actually says nothing at all about it......
    Evolution Theory is not an origin theory. However statistically life would originate elsewhere without a doubt, Evolution Theory would show that of that life it would be statistically impossible for there to be no other intelligent life.

You are being disingenuous if you took me to say that Evolution Theory is a Theory of Origin.