Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Imagine that, someone more interested in the will of the people! Unlike those who work against those people from the get go.

--

Queen Elizabeth Tells Parliament That Going Thru With BREXIT Is Her “Priority”

Queen Elizabeth II told Parliament that her “priority” is to honor the will of British patriots and go through with leaving the European Union.

God save the Queen!

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...-her-priority/
    I asked the "what if?" about this before the fact. Regardless who wrote her speech, does anyone think the Queen is going to say something she is against? I just do not believe she has as little input as some would have the rest of us believe.

BREXIT IS an extraordinary circumstance.
    Last edited by Gunny; 10-22-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I asked the "what if?" about this before the fact. Regardless who wrote her speech, does anyone think the Queen is going to say something she is against? I just do not believe she has as little input as some would have the rest of us believe.

BREXIT IS an extraordinary circumstance.
    As much as it irks me to do it, I'm in the position of having to back what Noir said about this earlier in this thread. The Queen cannot refuse to read out any Queen's Speech that's been drafted for her to announce ! That's just a simple fact.

Imagine this: Jeremy Corbyn wins our next election. He sets forth a programme of policy objectives his Government would be committing itself to work towards. That programme is very likely indeed to be more Left wing than anything the UK has seen since the 1960's, when Harold Wilson's Government was in charge (some would say borderline Marxist, and others would say no so borderlne).

Now, how on earth could she refuse to read it ?? She didn't refuse to read out Wilson's Leftie rot !! Likewise ... she can't inject any commentary of her own into it, either, when she did. If she did either of these things, Gunny, we'd instantly be plunged into a Constitutional crisis.

How would that play out ? I've absolutely no idea. It's literally unprecedented, ever since our monarchs ceased to be our outright rulers !!

Brexit is, indeed, an extraordinary circumstance ! Labour are doing a great job of turning it into a farce. So, if the Queen has any power to speak out, why hasn't she already done so ?
    Last edited by Drummond; 10-22-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    It's That Bloody Foreigner Again !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

So then my next question would be: WHO wrote the Queen's speech? It is direct support for the will of the people; which, Mr Johnson's agenda also supports. The Queen has no impact on public opinion? If the lefties and fence-riders start fearing for their bureaucratic retirement checks that wouldn't change a few votes? It will here.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    So then my next question would be: WHO wrote the Queen's speech? It is direct support for the will of the people; which, Mr Johnson's agenda also supports. The Queen has no impact on public opinion? If the lefties and fence-riders start fearing for their bureaucratic retirement checks that wouldn't change a few votes? It will here.
    Who writes her speeches ?

Her speeches are the finished product of work undertaken by her personal Private Secretary. He, however, has the duty of incorporating drafts from Government Ministers and then 'knitting them together' into one finished composition.

Whether or not, somehow, the Queen has any impact on public opinion, this cannot be seen to come from anything she says. The British monarchy is required in public to maintain absolute neutrality.

I believe this is also true for all members of the Royal Family (so it's not as though she could use Prince Charles as a mouthpiece, for example ...).

Consider a scenario where a Corbyn Government became a reality. She can't stand in opposition to it, in any way. I cited the example of Harold Wilson's Premiership ... his was a very Left wing agenda. The Queen did not, and could not, oppose it.

A Government is democratically elected. A Corbyn Government getting that electoral support would immediately react to the smallest intervention by the Queen by saying that it was not only unconstitutional, but an insult to the intentions of the voting Public. Here, all Parties set out manifesto pledges and pledge to carry them out, if elected. If the Queen voiced an objection, she'd be seen (it could be argued) as her defying democracy itself.

This might be of interest; not only because of the fact that it happened, but also because of the furore caused by its becoming public knowledge !

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/996580...sh-referendum/

The Queen issued an extraordinary slap down to David Cameron yesterday for blabbing about her intervention in the Scots referendum.

In an unprecedented rebuke, a Buckingham Palace source said the former PM's admission had caused a "an amount of displeasure” with the 93-year-old monarch.

A source also told the BBC that "it serves no one's interests" for conversations between the prime minister and the Queen to be made public and "it makes it very hard for the relationship to thrive".

Mr Cameron himself admitted yesterday that he should not have broken long-standing Royal protocol to reveal he had lobbied Her Majesty to make her controversial intervention just days before the knife-edge poll in September 2014.

Quizzed about it, Mr Cameron revealed he wanted Her Majesty to hit back at then-SNP boss Alex Salmond’s claim that the Queen would be happy to rule over an independent Scotland.

He said he had asked whether the Queen could “raise an eyebrow” ahead of the referendum - and days later Her Majesty said people should “think carefully about the future”.

Yesterday Mr Cameron admitted he had revealed "perhaps a little bit too much" about the controversial request to intervene.

He told BBC Radio 4’S Today programme: “Some people would think, possibly even me, that I’ve already said too much about this”.

But in an attempt to play down the row over his revelation, Mr Cameron later insisted he did not ask the Queen to do "anything improper" during the referendum on Scottish independence.

The former prime minister - who has been carrying out a media blitz to promote his memoirs - said: "I never asked for anything improper to be said or done."

Mr Cameron sought support from the Queen after a poll predicting a Yes victory "panicked" him.

He was also forced to apologise to the Queen after being overheard boasting that the Queen had “purred” down the phone when he told he had won the referendum.

Yesterday the former First Minister Alex Salmond revealed that the Queen had summoned him to Balmoral to assure him those “purring” comments were wrong.
    As I say: the Queen CANNOT be seen to be less than politically neutral at all times.
    Last edited by Drummond; 10-22-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)

The Queen's ceremonial and Constitutional roles: this may make it clearer .....

http://www.monarchist.org.uk/the-que...overnment.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drummond View Post
    Who writes her speeches ?

Her speeches are the finished product of work undertaken by her personal Private Secretary. He, however, has the duty of incorporating drafts from Government Ministers and then 'knitting them together' into one finished composition.

Whether or not, somehow, the Queen has any impact on public opinion, this cannot be seen to come from anything she says. The British monarchy is required in public to maintain absolute neutrality.

I believe this is also true for all members of the Royal Family (so it's not as though she could use Prince Charles as a mouthpiece, for example ...).

Consider a scenario where a Corbyn Government became a reality. She can't stand in opposition to it, in any way. I cited the example of Harold Wilson's Premiership ... his was a very Left wing agenda. The Queen did not, and could not, oppose it.

A Government is democratically elected. A Corbyn Government getting that electoral support would immediately react to the smallest intervention by the Queen by saying that it was not only unconstitutional, but an insult to the intentions of the voting Public. Here, all Parties set out manifesto pledges and pledge to carry them out, if elected. If the Queen voiced an objection, she'd be seen (it could be argued) as her defying democracy itself.

This might be of interest; not only because of the fact that it happened, but also because of the furore caused by its becoming public knowledge !

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/996580...sh-referendum/

As I say: the Queen CANNOT be seen to be less than politically neutral at all times.
    Here's what I am saying, and in response to you last statement/sentence: You say the Queen must be seen as politically neutral at all time; yet, her statement is far from politically neutral. It takes a political stance on BREXIT.

So I don't get it. What is the point to the Queen making a statement at all if it stands for nothing? To give something legitimacy, no? The Queen's "stamp". It has to mean something to someone or something.

I'm not a Brit, but it would mean something to me if I was. ESPECIALLY since I agree with Her Majesty