Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I am a strong supporter of police and I highly appreciate them being out there every day, potentially risking their lives to keep the peace for everyone else. Because they risk so much, I’ve always felt they should be given the benefit of the doubt whenever possible.

This case is something that makes me want to change my mind. I don’t see any possible defense for what they did. I don’t see any possible excuse to call what happened anything other than murder. NO reason to have a knee on that guys neck before the cuffs, let alone after. And he didn’t even resist arrest in the first place. The cops claimed that, but video from a restaurant across the street refutes it. So now we know that the whole group of cops are liars, as well.

Maybe the cop didn’t plan to kill the guy, but he sure didn’t care if he did or not. To me, its manslaughter at best, but he should be charged with first degree. What a slime ball. How about we sentence him right now to three weeks of people putting their knees on HIS neck. And that’s just before the trial.

That second cop is walking around free on borrowed time, I bet. He’s guilty of manslaughter because he stood there letting it happen. And I have no sympathy for either of those cops. Whatever happens to them.
I'm by no means defending the police. Just giving a reason, and we used it in the Marines. Knee on the side of the face where the cheekbone and upper jaw meet. If used correctly, it is a means of controlling the body on most people. It is excruciatingly painful; yet, causes no permanent damage. We practiced on each other so each Marine was well aware of how to use it properly and how painful it is. It IS a standard means of holding a suspect by police as far as I have seen.

In this case? Negligence. Sloppy application. Arrogance. Dumbassness. It STILL takes MINUTES to actually cut off the carotid artery and kill someone.

Where I get all pissy about crap like this is if the person is not resisting arrest to begin with, there is absolutely NO reason to slam them around, to the ground and twist them up. That's excessive use of force and it's bullshit.

IMO, the correct crime is negligent homicide. Given the circus going on around this, he'll probably be charged with murder. I doubt the idiot meant to kill him. There are easier ways and he is using a means of restraint, not deadly force.

I used to be supportive of the police as well. Hard to be a Marine and not. But they crossed the line with their use of force at some point, IMO. We didn't treat POWs anywhere near as badly you can see police treat people on COPS every night. Bearing in mind, I was front line, not a REMF at Abu ghraib.

There's no justification for this. The former cop needs to just plead dumber'n a hitchpost and throw himself on the mercy of the Court.