Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
gosh, I guess because Shaquille ONeal is seven feet tall, that must mean that ALL black folks have the ability to be seven feet tall.
Improper analogy, MFM. height is a simple matter of genetics, there's nothing more than that to it. For the analogy to work, you would have to be saying that, genetically, blacks and women are not on the same level.

Now, Shaq is a pro ball player, does that mean that all blacks and women have the ability to become pro ball players? Yes they do, in fact, but not all of them are going to succeed at it, or want to.

I agreed with Affirmative Action, when it was needed, back when whites would *refuse* to bunk with blacks, when they were disallowed paths in the military based on race or gender. It was necessary when white schools refused to allow black students, or when restaurants refused them service. What we're talking about now, is a small gap in pay in some areas, gaps that would disappear if the people involved would a) assert their rights, or b) stop settling for the positions that are paying them less based on gender. If they have the aptitude, and they meet the requirements, then there is more than one place that they can work.

This is not something the government needs to be involved in anymore. Now, were we to alter Affirmative Action to help those who need it, without race as a factor (say, instead, going by need), then yes, I would continue to support it, but as of now, it is only weakening the ones it seeks to help. the same can be said for this denomination. It is not Christian to help the black child who is starving, only to turn a blind eye to the white kid who is starving.