Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    If you want to look at the phrase "remain true to their native land" as being synonymous was swearing a blood oath of allegiance over all other allegiances and loyalties.... they you can. It is clear that such an interpretation suits you and makes it easier for you to dismiss and distrust them. Go for it.

I would prefer to interpret it as not ever losing sight of the culture and heritage and pride that they are trying to imbue into their congregants.
    how is this an answer? this is hyperbole. if you "want" ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    how is this an answer? this is hyperbole. if you "want" ...
    no. I do not see the quote you post as any sort of pledge of ALLEGIANCE to any other nation. I do not think that the members of the church are more LOYAL to Africa than they are America.

But, as I said, please continue to interpret it your way... and continue to make a big deal out of it. I have answered you, not run away from anything... we have a difference of opinion. Anything else?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no. I do not see the quote you post as any sort of pledge of ALLEGIANCE to any other nation. I do not think that the members of the church are more LOYAL to Africa than they are America.

But, as I said, please continue to interpret it your way... and continue to make a big deal out of it. I have answered you, not run away from anything... we have a difference of opinion. Anything else?
    We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

why would you continue to ignore the reality of the statements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

why would you continue to ignore the reality of the statements...
    you keep asking the same question over and over again. I answered it. I understand that you don't LIKE my answer. Tough shit. It is my answer. I am ignoring nothing. I interpret the "reality" of those statements differently than you. What part of that do you not understand, or better yet, why do you continue to ignore the reality of MY statements on the subject?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you keep asking the same question over and over again. I answered it. I understand that you don't LIKE my answer. Tough shit. It is my answer. I am ignoring nothing. I interpret the "reality" of those statements differently than you. What part of that do you not understand, or better yet, why do you continue to ignore the reality of MY statements on the subject?
    it is not open for interpretation. the statement speaks for itself. you're being delusional. if the same statements were from white people you'd be in a hissy fit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it is not open for interpretation. the statement speaks for itself. you're being delusional. if the same statements were from white people you'd be in a hissy fit.
    it is not open to interpretation because the almighty Yurt hath decreed is such? it's time for you to get over yourself. you are not the final arbiter of ANYTHING as far as I am concerned.

"being true to our native land", when the native land is a continent made up of many nation states, is not suggesting that they have any higher national allegiance than the one they have to the United States. Being true to africa is about being true to their cultural roots.

and again...if those statements were from white people whose ancestors had been brought to a black nation and sold as property and had been socially and economically marginalized for centuries, I would not throw any such hissy fit whatsoever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it is not open to interpretation because the almighty Yurt hath decreed is such? it's time for you to get over yourself. you are not the final arbiter of ANYTHING as far as I am concerned.

"being true to our native land", when the native land is a continent made up of many nation states, is not suggesting that they have any higher national allegiance than the one they have to the United States. Being true to africa is about being true to their cultural roots.

and again...if those statements were from white people whose ancestors had been brought to a black nation and sold as property and had been socially and economically marginalized for centuries, I would not throw any such hissy fit whatsoever.
    you just proved me right, thank you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you just proved me right, thank you.
    if you say so, emperor yurt!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you say so, emperor yurt!
    i do. everyone knows it but you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I interpret the "reality" of those statements differently than you.
    Truer words were never spoken.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you two should get a room.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

awesome comeback. I'd advise returning to one of your other long threads where you constantly are trying to defend something goofy and rationalizing your nonsense.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bringing up white slavery from the roman empire is a tad far fetched. the fact of the matter is: black people IN THIS COUNTRY were considered property not all that long ago in the sweep of human history. Black people were preemptorily lynched long after they had been freed from the bonds of slavery. Black people were disenfranchised politically in my lifetime. Black people in America have a long and bitter history of second class citizenship. Obama's church seeks to uplift them. His church has the backing and unequivocal support of the United Church of Christ - which is my denomination. But DO keep acting as if being black in America is no different than being white. DO keep making this a major issue in your attempts to denigrate a virtuous public servant. I expected nothing more...and I am sure, neither did he.
    So... when a black man is all about uplifting blacks, it's all fine and dandy. But when a white man is all about uplifting whites, he's a filthy racist. It's a double standard and a travesty, and if people were truly NOT racist in any shape, way or form, they wouldn't be party to any exclusively race based, "uplifting" entities, of any type. How blacks get away with it, I don't know... how a *CHURCH* gets away with it is even a bigger mystery.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    So... when a black man is all about uplifting blacks, it's all fine and dandy. But when a white man is all about uplifting whites, he's a filthy racist. It's a double standard and a travesty, and if people were truly NOT racist in any shape, way or form, they wouldn't be party to any exclusively race based, "uplifting" entities, of any type. How blacks get away with it, I don't know... how a *CHURCH* gets away with it is even a bigger mystery.
    That's exactly why i asked earlier why they didnt focus on just uplifting people in general. That is what Christ wants us to do. I've never seen Christ tell us to only uplift certain races. It just seems completely contrary to the message of the Gospel. The good news of the Gospel is specifically that Christ descended below all things so we can rise above them.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard