Quote Originally Posted by logroller View Post
My mom told me there was a bridge that led from the main town to the white suburb she grew up in; on that bridge was a sign that said, NO BLACKS AFTER DARK. That's racism. I too lived in that suburb, (I say suburb, but it was a white ghetto), and my neighbor forever referred to black people as coloreds. Which may seem overtly racist, but I could tell he was truly censoring himself, and colored was, to him, a politically correct term. I think it varies by circumstance, that racism/ hateful ignorance is a relative state of being. That the proverbial mountaintop to which MLK referred is where we want every man, woman and child to reach; and We won't get there by kicking stones downhill.
When I read your post it sent chills down my spine, because I know exactly what bridge and what town you are talking about. I won't post the name for your privacy, but if I remember correctly the air smells like oil most of the time.

Your mom was correct. I drove over that bridge every day for seven years to work. No "coloreds" were allowed to work the night shift; for their own safety. And this was in the late 70's.

Moved from the main town in 1978 so I don't know how things are on that side of the bridge these days.