Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I have never been into impressing other people. I've been lifting since around 74-75. Seriously since around 79-80. In that time, I have lifted with others maybe a total of 2 -3 years. When I used to have to use the base gym I would generally work out with someone around my level so I didn't end up completely stripping and reloading the bar every set.

My only competition EVER has been ME. More than last time. If I repeated the same workout with the same weight, was a write-off, maintenance workout in my book. And my gym throughout the years has been mostly the garage or patio but I CAN get creative . In Alexandria, VA living in an apartment with daughter, and Vista CA as well, the gym was the living room. I hauled my weights out of the closest, lifted, and back they went.

I was a skinny teenager and became obsessed with power, but it was never about anyone else. And it wasn't about looking good. It was about monster power. Unless it's a team sport or competition/game, my competition in everything I do is me.
    Yep... same here. I was skrawny, which worked to my benefit in Wrestling. I wrestled in school for 6 years. It was the one sport that I got to compete in against someone my own size. But I wrestled at 124 my Senior year. I ate like a horse but just never gained any weight. I always wanted to pack on some more size, so when I joined the AF at 24 years old I was basically same as I was when I graduated, but I really packed on some weight fast in basic. This got my attention, so when I got to Nellis one of the first guys I met was pretty ripped, I asked him about working out and he said just come with me to the gym. That's where it started for me. I'd go work out on my lunch break, and usually for a couple hours on the weekends. I did that for at least 7 1/2 of the 8 years I was in. I just got to liking that pumped up feeling, it just felt good. I never really packed on that much size in any one place. I always tried to work on everything, this one day, that another, I didn't want to look lopsided. I've had a couple gyms since I've been out, the most recent being that huge Golds Universal gym I had in the shop. Loved having it but it took up a LOT of space. I got it for free. It was in pieces and needed welding repair. Naturally I took it and fixed it and got the good out of it. Sold it probably 5 years ago now. Going to get one about a 1/2 the size this winter, and I'm with CSM, it's only for my own benefit. I don't give a damn how it will or could change my appearance to impress someone, it's about getting much needed exercise in the winter and being healthy.
    Last edited by High_Plains_Drifter; 05-21-2018 at 12:36 PM.