Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Top Ten Misused Scripture Quotes.....

That's the SECOND most mis-used, out-of-context scripture EVER
    this comment from another thread inspired this one......

what are your nominations for most misused.....

I propose....Matthew 5, particularly selected verses which parallel this thought....

"If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also"

These verses are often held up to Christians as standards to which they should strive.....when Christ gave the Sermon on the Mount, the purpose of these verses was to show the futility of trying to earn salvation by our own action, the very impossibility of compliance that some expect us now to reach if we are not "hypocrites"......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Judge not, that ye not be judged. (Matthew 7:1 KJV), often misused to scold Christians for speaking out against sinfullness.

One could not read Matthew 18:16-18 seriously and conclude that we never judge anything. In 1 Corinthians 5 Paul takes the people of God to task for not judging the right things the right way.
    The mystery clears up when we realize that the word “judge” can be used in different ways in different contexts. Understanding the context is the key to interpreting what kind of judging we are speaking about.

Ralph Walter in his small book, Tortured Texts, notes the differences:

“Consider first the Greek word Krino, translated judge in our text. If you look at a concordance of the King James Version, you will find the word has been translated: conclude, condemn, damn, decree, determine, esteem, ordain, think and then judge 87 times. Other Greek scholars say that Krino means to call in question, conclude, decree, esteem, determine, think and sentence. From all of this I think it would be safe to say that the word our Lord used means to condemn or to pass judgment upon someone maliciously; while the context shows that we have the responsibility to properly evaluate a thing or an act” (pp. 28-30).

Peter, Paul and John did a lot of judging the right way. Every second epistle is a judgment on apostasy. In 2 Timothy 4:10, Paul judges and warns about a man named Demas. In the same epistle (2:17) he warns of the heresies of two others by name. Paul did a lot of judging and evaluating when it came to false teachers. We are mandated to judge false doctrine.

Jesus in John 7:24 says: “Do not judge according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment.” Jesus is saying “judge without maliciousness and by all means have the facts.” To find a balance between legalism and mysticism we must judge righteous judgment.

First Corinthians 6:3-5 demands that we judge certain matters. We can judge the overt and gross sins mentioned later in verse 9. However our judgment must always be tempered with a desire to restore, not punish. The goal is restoration.
    http://pfo.org/notjudge.htm
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Judge not, that ye not be judged. (Matthew 7:1 KJV), often misused to scold Christians for speaking out against sinfullness.
    Doesn't "cast the first stone" apply here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    ...that has to do with punishment for sin, not acknowledgment of Sin.

I have to add the line from the post which inspired this thread:

"Don't place a stumbling block" -

Here's something I wrote years ago in a thread about Beyonce claiming to be a Christian, yet she's all sexy and stuff..

So stop stumbling? I mean, seriously...If you cause somebody to stumble, you have sinned. What does that really mean? In the way you are using it, it implies we aren't responsible for our lusting ways - it's BEYONCE who CAUSED my stumbling. I contend Your Human Nature caused your stumble. Also, is a moment of lust, should it occur, a 'stumble'? If i find myself in the midst of sin, I stop, repent, and move on. That's not a stumble - that is a STEP. That's growth. I believe that scripture is trying to address false teachings, and creating dissent amongst the 'brethren'. I'm not sure I'm educated enough to PROVE that belief...but I still think I'm right.

What's wrong w/ topless churches? I mean, actually, if the congregation were sitting there nude, it'd be no less holy. Nudity isn't wrong nor sinful. People who lack discipline are the people who get all hot and bothered every time i set of jugs passes by.
    Maybe I'm weird, or European, or gay....but I have absolutely NO Issues when faced with a set of round mounds. None. If said Globes were being parlayed upon my body, in a suggestive manner, then I'd likely develop some situations, depending on the circumstances.

There are some guys who get all hot and lusty by looking at feet. By using the 'Causing to Stumble' scripture as many in this thread are, Beyonce should NEVER go barefoot - lest she cause a foot-guy to 'stumble' thru his lust. There are some guys who really get lustful by having women wear clown suits, should Beyonce never entertain as "Bozo" during a birthday party?
    and

(some people claim) Beyonce entertains to CAUSE people to lust? Seriously...I hope that's not what you meant.

Dancing and such is 'entertainment'. I can't speak for her, as I don't know her enough to judge her 'fruits', but I am pretty sure MOST entertainers do so for the love of entertaining. To insinuate, or flat out claim (as you've done) that the motivation is to cause lust isn't right...it just isn't right.

You are creating your own made-up-idea of what her motivation is.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmp
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebody
    She Entertains.
    Fact.

She dances as a stripper.
    Opinion. She 'dances'. When have you last been to a strip club to compare styles?

She does it for the love of entertaining.
    Opinion. Nobody can say for certain her motivation. It's likely...but we can't be sure, can we?

The people who are being entertained are watching her move as a stripper and removing clothes.
    Opinion. People are entertained by the quality of her voice, and the quality of Production of her show.

The people who are being entertained are watching her move as a stripper and removing clothes are lusting. Call it what you want but it's lusting.
    Opinion. Weak-willed/poorly disciplined/highly repressed people lust after a lot of things - the fact it MAY be this woman is irrellivant. As I wrote earlier, people get all horny for many different reasons. If she were Waltzing across the stage, I'm sure SOMEBODY could get 'wood'.

She loves people lusting over her (entertaining them).
    Opinion/Slander. You are being ridiculous now...

You are using poor logic by stringing together one - MAYBE two facts, and drawing conclusion. Do painters creating images because they want or expect people to lust after them? That's asinine.

If it was her music that people wanted she would not have to dress and dance the way she does.
    If I sit and watch her dance and strip sooner or later I will be lusting too.
    Perhaps you have some issues on lust? If you do, stop watching her, because frankly, you'd be turned on eventually whether she were standing at a mic, or gardening, or knitting on stage.

Good witness? I don't think so. To witness we must be making an effort to be like Christ.
    Sorry but when I see her I don't see a good witness, I see one of his sheep that has strayed and trying to take as many of the flock with her!
    She doesn't sing to be a witness, i'd GUESS. She sings because she loves it. She loves making music because it's in her genes. You are sounding exactly those who spoke against John the Baptist...I mean, LOOK at him!! He's all crazy looking, eating bugs! I do NOT see a witness there!!

:-/

Nobody is perfect in their walk. No-Body. Tell me how I'm not being a good witness as a Strategic Planner for the Army. I mean, I'm creating a publication as a learning tool for the Fort Lewis Transformation Campaign Plan. In the publication I've got photos of GUNS used for KILLING...I've got NO mention of Christ. I blatantly get up in front of meetings with others and speak ONLY of 'worldly' issues such as "Balanced Score Card". Ya know, the way I turn, to write on the white-board MAY be causing some of the meeting attendees to lust after my bulk of a body...I must be a horrible witness.

It doesn't matter if I do my work in front of 20 people or 200 Million - It's just a job. People are still people. With Strengths and weaknesses.

Brother, I understand the point you are trying to make - but I cannot allow that it's biblical, nor beneficial towards a closer walk w/ Christ .... My banter here doesn't mean I'm angry or impassioned against you. I drag things out, and hang on so tightly because I know that I know I am 'Right' in certain areas. My motivation is not to be proven as such, but to perhaps help somebody to gain a better, more clear? understanding of who Christ IS...

-d
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    A good example of another misunderstood verse. Jesus was being tricked into speaking out against the current law. This was His way around it, and a chance to give a lesson in forgiveness at the same time. Context, as dmp said.

But more importantly, Jesus didn't just forgive the adultress, and send her on her merry way. He told her to "go, and sin no more". The part that is often conveniently left out in discussions. Repentance and a true change in behavior is key.
    Last edited by Abbey Marie; 11-21-2007 at 11:30 AM.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A good example of another misunderstood verse. Jesus was being tricked into speaking out against the current law. This was His way around it, and a chance to give a lesson in forgiveness at the same time. Context, as dmp said.

But more importantly, Jesus didn't just forgive the adultress, and send her on her merry way. He told her to "go, and sin no more". The part that is often conveniently left out in discussions. Repentance and a true change in behavior is key.
    But in order of importance Abbey, He forgave her first, then He asked her to sin no more. Forgiveness was given to her BEFORE she even had a chance to repent.

He did not require the repentance first, He did not say "now sin no more", and then say, "your sins are forgiven". He did the opposite....and I believe that this was intentional by Him.

It would not be a "gift" of forgiveness if one had to do something to EARN it....

It would be a "reward" perhaps, if we HAD to do something to receive it....but we have been told through Christianity that it was a "gift", and I believe that this is a key to Christianity.

And I believe because we are given such a wonderful "gift", that we in turn, repent out of joy, out of respect, out of love, for the giver of the "gift".

jd

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
    But in order of importance Abbey, He forgave her first, then He asked her to sin no more. Forgiveness was given to her BEFORE she even had a chance to repent.

He did not require the repentance first, He did not say "now sin no more", and then say, "your sins are forgiven". He did the opposite....and I believe that this was intentional by Him.

...Her repentance would be verified by her 'not sinning anymore' - you're really twisting scripture to imply we don't have to repent to be forgiving.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    ...Her repentance would be verified by her 'not sinning anymore' - you're really twisting scripture to imply we don't have to repent to be forgiving.
    Exactly. "Order of importance" is only an issue if one is looking for forgiveness without repentance and change.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, I am not Darin....scripture might be twisted, but it is not me that is doing it...I am repeating what Christ said and IN THE ORDER that he said it.

He did not require the repentence before He gave her His forgiveness and it is as simple as that to me.

Forgiveness of sins was a "gift of Grace" not a reward for doing something, not by our own "works".

I believe that if one understands this Gift given to them, that they WILL repent....because the gift of Grace, again, if truely understood, was so awesome and so loving, that one accepting this gift would overwelmingly feel the need to repent, to take that "second chance" and show the giver of this "gift of Grace"... that they appreciate it.

I don't believe that this "gift" of forgiveness always automatically changes the nature of the human being from the nanosecond that they are given it....with some it will, but with others it may take time for them to change...but that they will repent to the fullest of their ability, eventually. One follows the other, and the "gift/Grace" of forgiveness, is given first.

Forgiveness is a "gift" not a "reward", and if you can show me where "forgiveness of sin" is described as a "reward" for our own actions, contradicting that it was a "gift" from God, then I may change my mind.

For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

jd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exactly. "Order of importance" is only an issue if one is looking for forgiveness without repentance and change.
    I respectfully disagree. Order of importance is essential to understanding Christ and what He did for us, through His sacrafice, through his death.

Those that want to ignore the order of importance, want to give credit to themselves, want to reward themselves for their own actions and "boast" of such imo.

For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Please explain what this verse means, if not what it directly says?

jd

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

No, I am not Darin....scripture might be twisted, but it is not me that is doing it...I am repeating what Christ said and IN THE ORDER that he said it.

He did not require the repentence before He gave her His forgiveness and it is as simple as that to me.
    How do you know? How do you know she wasn't repenting to him? Do you know her heart? Bringing up the 'order of the words he spoke' is an attempt by you to twist God's plan in an effort to imply NOBODY needs to really REPENT...it's trying to make excuses for sinful behaviour.

Forgiveness of sins was a "gift of Grace" not a reward for doing something, not by our own "works".
    Irrelevant.

I believe that if one understands this Gift given to them, that they WILL repent....because the gift of Grace, again, if truly understood, was so awesome and so loving, that one accepting this gift would overwhelmingly feel the need to repent, to take that "second chance" and show the giver of this "gift of Grace"... that they appreciate it.
    Irrelevant.

I don't believe that this "gift" of forgiveness always automatically changes the nature of the human being from the nanosecond that they are given it....with some it will, but with others it may take time for them to change...but that they will repent to the fullest of their ability, eventually. One follows the other, and the "gift/Grace" of forgiveness, is given first.
    So what? That has nothing to do with anything. You're filibustering. One cannot 'partially' repent. One either does, or does not. You're really REALLY corn-fused.

Forgiveness is a "gift" not a "reward", and if you can show me where "forgiveness of sin" is described as a "reward" for our own actions, contradicting that it was a "gift" from God, then I may change my mind.
    What the hell are you talking about now? Stop putting words in my mouth. Nobody is talking about 'rewards' - we're talking about how Christ forgave that woman with the instruction to Stop Sinning. He forgave her past. She seems to have accepted (although we can't be sure). Any further sin in her heart would have to be dealt-with later, if any.

You have NO understanding of what that scripture means, do you? It's like - you think, based on how you throw that out there, nobody has to do ANYTHING but breathe and EVERYBODY will go to heaven. Because 'asking forgiveness' and 'stopping one's sinful ways' equates to 'works'. Its...what's the word? It's SILLY.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I respectfully disagree. Order of importance is essential to understanding Christ and what He did for us, through His sacrafice, through his death.

Those that want to ignore the order of importance, want to give credit to themselves, want to reward themselves for their own actions and "boast" of such imo.

jd

JD you're stuck on stupid. Really. You throw out these false delimma and force people to agree with you. Nauseating, really.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JD you're stuck on stupid. Really. You throw out these false delimma and force people to agree with you. Nauseating, really.
    ??????
    Does Scripture bother you Darin???

HOW am I forcing anyone to do anything???

And why would a difference of opinion be nauseating???

No need for YOU to get nasty Darin, take a deep breath and realize we are on a debate board discussing religion and false impressions that some may have regarding Scripture.

And can you explain the the Scripture I quoted?

I also HAVE NEVER SAID that repentence would not follow if one through Faith accepted Christ's gift to us....because I too believe that Faith, without works, is dead. And I explained above why I believe we repent or change our lives, following the gift of grace, the gift of forgiveness...

jd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

id have to go with this one. Although Matthew 16:16-20 is pretty misused too

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

jd
    Another really misused and misunderstood scriptures.