Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    No, my post related the federal poverty guidelines to the minimum wage, and showed that working one job at minimum wage is enough to keep one above the federal poverty level. So if you don't think someone can live on $10,210, which is the federal poverty guideline for one person, then go complain to HHS, not me.
    Jeff, the federal poverty GUIDELINE, is the figure used to qualify for over 80 different federal assistance programs, and all of these programs are not set at the guideline level to qualify but at levels well above the guideline level, like 150% of the guideline level for foodstamps or 180% of the guideline level for schip or 200% of the pverty guideline to qualify for foodstamps, or fuel energy assistance, or an educational assistance, or housing assistance etc.....I don't believe the this federal guideline level is a figure that one can use as saying that a person can suvive on that level....and the intention of that guideline level is for qualifications of assistance by the federal government to survive.
    And each state may use these guidelines at a different level to assist their citizens, which makes complete sense, because a person at the guidline level in alabama is obviously completely different than a citizen of massachusetts only making the fed guideline level.

jd
    Last edited by JohnDoe; 12-09-2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: *

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    suggesting that the fact that filipinos live cheaply, therefore Americans can as well is somewhat disingenuous. The cost of living in the philippines is a fraction of what it is here. If, for example, you and your spouse both make minimum wage, and contract any sort of illness, you will be unable to pay for your care.
    Baloney. Besides, I wouldnt get married if I only made minimum wage. Its called BEING RESPONSABLE for your own actions. Not pawning it off on a CEO.

One of the things the filipinos do is rely on family, something sorely missing in America. But if push came to shove, we would if we had to. Look at the great depression, we managed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

baloney. The corporate world out there is dog eat dog. If a CEO doesnt produce, then he gets axed. If companies overpaid underachieving CEO's they wouldnt stay in business long. The fact they make money seems they are doing something right.

IF you dont like a company that doesnt let you choose the CEO, then dont buy their stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhouse158 View Post
    You know, it is said that tax cuts work because it gives people more money to spend. This in turn helps the economy. Well...If people made more money, the same thing would happen. I keep reading about people on food stamps that have cell phones. That's not income inequality. That is the government's loose standards as to who can receive assistance. IMO, if your on assistance you shouldn't be allowed a cell phone, unless it is your only phone, you shouldn't have cable, and you shouldn't be driving a new car. I look at the company one works for. One poster asked who should decide what CEO's get paid. My answer is the owners...I own stock in companies, and it's not my decision, it's the board of directors that decides. Usually they hire someone that knows someone on the board. It's not about talent, or education. Although yes, most are former management. I would definitely not agree with paying a CEO 20 million while others at the company make $8 an hour. That is a huge difference. I think too huge for people to grasp. I don't care if the decisions fall on him/her. They have a lot of input, including the board of directors, that feed them information. If your making 20 million a yea,r who cares if you work only one year. I am not going to feel sorry for these people, and care how much stress their under. They get fired after one year and never have to work another day in their life. Others at the same company work their whole lives and barely get by. It's just ridiculous to me. Just so you know...NO the government shouldn't decide...It is going to go that way....Wait and see. The boards that are willing to pay all this money to a select few is just inviting government intervention.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by typomaniac View Post
    I hate to tell you this, hon, but patting Frodo and Jeffy on the back does not make you any less wrong.

Next time, try a real argument. I know, they can be difficult to get your head around if you've been the product of American education. But trust me, once you learn how to make them, they can be lots of fun.
    This is ripe !!
    All you can do is talk about frodo and jeffy, then accuse my response of having no worthwhile content. Usual libecratic double speak hypocracy, self delusional elitism.

Let me explain it to you, A....B....C....
    the guy attacked the dept that supplied the info. They are the "messenger", I pointed out how if you cant attack the info, then you attack the messenger.
    Get it dumbo?

Sheesh, (Ron walks off muttering something about his dog being smarter than a typo...)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I based my 'scenario' on $12k for one person. But I realised, I could probably afford health care if I stuck tight to the budget. If I figure the studio at 400 sq ft, which is generous, I could lower my heating costs by wearing warmer clothes.
    and its not inconceivable that you could share the studio,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

My point was that what any full-time worker earns SHOULD be enough to support a household of one. Whether that happens by government involvement or how the government defines poverty is a completely separate discussion.

One can live off min wage, just not in the manner that he/she might want. That should be an incentive to get a better education. It was for me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post
    baloney. The corporate world out there is dog eat dog. If a CEO doesnt produce, then he gets axed. If companies overpaid underachieving CEO's they wouldnt stay in business long. The fact they make money seems they are doing something right.

IF you dont like a company that doesnt let you choose the CEO, then dont buy their stock.
    My point exactly....This dog eat dog world is getting rid of the middle class. This is what is going to bring about GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION; which no one should want. Like I said before...Who cares if a CEO gets axed. They are paid in the millions. They also aren't the first to go. Usually it's middle management that goes first. That just doesn't make the news. Some CEO's make MORE in one month, than employees at the same company make in their lifetime. Go ahead and keep giving excuses. We will become a socialized country because of it. In a response to MTNBiker...Who knows how we decide what people get paid....The system today, where the CEO is paid enormous sums is just ridiculous to me. If some can't see that the middle class is disappearing, then their just not paying attention. CEO pay has skyrocketed, while middle income pay hasn't. What else has skyrocketed?....oh yeah....Prices of necessities...I'm not talking about inflation...inflation takes into account a lot of things. Milk, food, and gas prices have skyrocketed; However, PC and Flat screen TV prices have dropped...Those are our real necessities.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    One can live off min wage, just not in the manner that he/she might want. That should be an incentive to get a better education. It was for me.
    Depends on where you are and how reliable your employer is.
    If you're worth less than $5 million and you vote for McCain, you're a loser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    Well I asked a simple question and response was;

necessities = needs

So, let me ask again. By which method should a person's income be determined? And lets try to leave the minimum wage out, it is a very small percentage of worker that is earning it,also we have beat that horse to death.
    I'm not sure that there is any single, perfect method. (Although if you want to suggest one, I'm all ears.) I was arguing only that being able to afford and purchase the necessities should be a benchmark.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LuvRPgrl View Post
    This is ripe !!
    All you can do is talk about frodo and jeffy, then accuse my response of having no worthwhile content. Usual libecratic double speak hypocracy, self delusional elitism.

...Get it dumbo?

Sheesh, (Ron walks off muttering something about his dog being smarter than a typo...)
    Thanks for proving my accusation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure that there is any single, perfect method. (Although if you want to suggest one, I'm all ears.) I was arguing only that being able to afford and purchase the necessities should be a benchmark.
    necessites you said are the same as those in prison.....so

a room with a roommate, a bed, access to a bathroom and a kitchen, one change of clothes, food, toiletries and medical care.....

i say 8 dollars an hour for one person

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    necessites you said are the same as those in prison.....so

a room with a roommate, a bed, access to a bathroom and a kitchen, one change of clothes, food, toiletries and medical care.....

i say 8 dollars an hour for one person
    8 bucks an hour won't pay for much medical care...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

8 bucks an hour won't pay for much medical care...
    there are free clinics, an emergency room can't refuse service and don't take a job where the employer doesn't provide it....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    there are free clinics, an emergency room can't refuse service and don't take a job where the employer doesn't provide it....
    Since Healthcare is my field let me respond. There is no such thing as a Free Clinic. An emergency room can't refuse service which is absolutely correct. This causes a problem that ER's are overun with non emergent cases. This causes flooded ER's, which tire out the ER staff, which leads to mistakes that can be made from exhaustion. Also, ER visits aren't free either...To refuse a job that doesn't offer healthcare is ridiculous. People still need to work to pay for other necessities. Free healthcare is non existent. Your paying for it....Believe me...The simple answer is increase wages...I don't know why that is so hard for some to grasp. Come up with hundreds of different ideas, and overlook one that will work. I know not everywhere can increase wages, but a lot of companies can. Spread the money around, and everyone would be better off.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhouse158 View Post
    My point exactly....This dog eat dog world is getting rid of the middle class. This is what is going to bring about GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION; which no one should want. Like I said before...Who cares if a CEO gets axed. They are paid in the millions. They also aren't the first to go. Usually it's middle management that goes first. That just doesn't make the news. Some CEO's make MORE in one month, than employees at the same company make in their lifetime. Go ahead and keep giving excuses. We will become a socialized country because of it. In a response to MTNBiker...Who knows how we decide what people get paid....The system today, where the CEO is paid enormous sums is just ridiculous to me. If some can't see that the middle class is disappearing, then their just not paying attention. CEO pay has skyrocketed, while middle income pay hasn't. What else has skyrocketed?....oh yeah....Prices of necessities...I'm not talking about inflation...inflation takes into account a lot of things. Milk, food, and gas prices have skyrocketed; However, PC and Flat screen TV prices have dropped...Those are our real necessities.
    You are venting without a lot of data to support you

Fact is, the middle class is bigger and stronger than ever.
    The reason for more govt intervention is because of bleeding heart libecrats, not because of restrictions on business

In fact, the business world has been doing fantastic. Coming out with new technology, faster, cheaper easier ways to produce, means people who own things like cell phones, tv's, cars, houses, is unprecedented.

You cant possibly tell me we arent doing pretty good when I walk up to a guy who is obviously living in his Toyota corolla, and ask him if he wants to work on my house, he says, sure, but hold on I have to do something first. He whips out his cell phone......