Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default High School Students must apply for college!

PIERRE - A bill that would have required high school students to apply to a post-secondary school died in committee this morning in Pierre.

Even the sponsor, Sen. Cooper Garnos, R-Presho, admitted there were flaws in Senate Bill 67, which would have required students, before graduating, to submit at least one application to a "college, university or other post-secondary institution."

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...e106548630.txt

At least the legislators in South Dakota have some sense. Can you imagine being required to apply for college! I know for me, college was just something I did not want to do right after high school.

If this was a bill in a wacked out state like CA it would pass.

AF
    Last edited by AFbombloader; 01-17-2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFbombloader View Post
    PIERRE - A bill that would have required high school students to apply to a post-secondary school died in committee this morning in Pierre.

Even the sponsor, Sen. Cooper Garnos, R-Presho, admitted there were flaws in Senate Bill 67, which would have required students, before graduating, to submit at least one application to a "college, university or other post-secondary institution."

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...e106548630.txt

At least the legislators in South Dakota have some sense. Can you imagine being required to apply for college! I know for me, college was just something I did not want to do right after high school.

If this was a bill in a wacked out state like CA it would pass.

AF
    That may be the most ridiculous idea I've seen put forth. Check out any state university stats. So many kids are enrolled first year, over 25% cannot return the second year. They either should not be in college or they aren't ready, emotionally or academically. It's a waste of money and takes away time that would be spent on interested/capable students.

College studies are not for everyone. I've had some really bright students, that plan on going into their families businesses right out of high school. They could do college level work, they would rather not. I've had way more students that are unmotivated on their own, unless something drastic changes, they would be unable to get through that first year.

Personally I think there is way too much emphasis on kids going away to school right from high school. If they really know what they want to do, it will be fine. They will be motivated. Our county community college has an excellent plan for high achieving, but undecided students. If accepted into the honors program and complete it for an associates degree, automatic acceptance and free ride scholarship to U of I, into their honors program. Must maintain a C+ average to keep the scholarship. This includes their 5 year programs like engineering and architecture, nearly impossible to gain entry to for incoming freshmen or transfer students.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My daughter graduated from a private school. The graduation policy included being accepted to a College, University, Vocational or Community College.

I don't have a problem with it. They didn't have to go...just be accepted.
    Gives em options (even though forced) they may not pursue on their own.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    My daughter graduated from a private school. The graduation policy included being accepted to a College, University, Vocational or Community College.

I don't have a problem with it. They didn't have to go...just be accepted.
    Gives em options (even though forced) they may not pursue on their own.
    Look at the cost involved if you require ALL students to do this. Colleges do not do this for free. And what would your daughters school do if a young person wanted to join the military? I think their requirement is rediculous.

AF
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFbombloader View Post
    Look at the cost involved if you require ALL students to do this. Colleges do not do this for free. And what would your daughters school do if a young person wanted to join the military? I think their requirement is rediculous.

AF
    I loved it and didn't have a problem with it. If they wanted to join the military they could do that too, just be accepted to a post-secondary school. It's not expensive to apply to a Community College, < $75 bucks maybe I forget? But beside that, remember, this was a 'private' school, the graduation policy is known up front.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I loved it and didn't have a problem with it. If they wanted to join the military they could do that too, just be accepted to a post-secondary school. It's not expensive to apply to a Community College, < $75 bucks maybe I forget? But beside that, remember, this was a 'private' school, the graduation policy is known up front.
    Many private schools have such a requirement. They also have a choice if they decide to exercise it in which students to except and keep. To put this on public school students is wrong from the inception. It's like NCLB writ large. I'm afraid to ask if it includes special ed kids.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not all high school kids need to go to college, nor will all succeed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Many private schools have such a requirement. They also have a choice if they decide to exercise it in which students to except and keep. To put this on public school students is wrong from the inception. It's like NCLB writ large. I'm afraid to ask if it includes special ed kids.
    I think it would benefit public schools and society at large. Of course there would have to be exceptions for the spud kids, goes without saying.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it would benefit public schools and society at large. Of course there would have to be exceptions for the spud kids, goes without saying.
    There is no way this would benefit anyone but the people collecting the fees for the applications. First of all, not everyone wants to go to college, should they have to apply? Second, not everyone is smart enough, should a "d" student apply when they have absolutely no realistic chance at success? Third what about people with apprenticeships? Should a person going ot be an electrician who has a job and apprenticeship be forces to apply? Fourth, should a young person who is enlisting be required to apply? And then there are the handicap. There is no way this should even be a thought in anyone's mind.
    Your private school can do what it wants because it is "private". But I disagree with it on that level too. You shouldn't require anyone to apply.

AF

Mark Twain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stupid why waste the time and money applying when you know you don't want to and aren't going to go.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah, you guys are all correct. We don't need to have high standards. Tis why we rate at the bottom of the academic scale these days ya know? True some will always fail, can't help that. Some don't want much, can't help that...but with set high standards many more will succeed. With high standards even the so called failures will succeed. Imagine not having to SEARCH for an auto mechanic that "really" knows what he's doing.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Yeah, you guys are all correct. We don't need to have high standards. Tis why we rate at the bottom of the academic scale these days ya know? True some will always fail, can't help that. Some don't want much, can't help that...but with set high standards many more will succeed. With high standards even the so called failures will succeed. Imagine not having to SEARCH for an auto mechanic that "really" knows what he's doing.
    I don't disagree with you as much as you think. At the same time, this was one of those options open to a school like you sent your daughter to, that wasn't applicable to public schools.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I don't disagree with you as much as you think. At the same time, this was one of those options open to a school like you sent your daughter to, that wasn't applicable to public schools.
    True...I'm just saying it should be.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

True...I'm just saying it should be.
    The situations are different, which is why you made the choices you did on where to send her.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i wonder what bill gates thinks.....