Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    If Africa is the common root for black on black violence, I guess whitey is off the hook then. Or are you saying that whichever slave trader took them from Africa caused the problem ?
    africa is something the protagonists of black on black violence have in common. wouldn't you agree?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    africa is something the protagonists of black on black violence have in common. wouldn't you agree?
    one of millions----is being sold into slavery by African Blacks something that unites them. I would think it would be a seen as evidence of betrayal by one's own race.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

one of millions----is being sold into slavery by African Blacks something that unites them. I would think it would be a seen as evidence of betrayal by one's own race.
    something can be a commonly held experience and not necessarily be a unifying experience. I suggested the former, never the latter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

something can be a commonly held experience and not necessarily be a unifying experience. I suggested the former, never the latter.
    They all came from Africa---so they use the continent as a unifying symbol. Maybe they should pick a continent that that didn't betray them and this continental symbolism might actually work. The "we're all Africans here" thingy doesn't appear to be working very well in stopping them from killing each other. It could be because modern Africans are still slaughtering each other.

A nutcase will do nutty things.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

because it is their homeland? It is the land from which their ancestors were taken in chains against their will? In discussing black on black violence, an outline of the continent of africa certainly symbolizes the root of their problem, wouldn't you think?
    Is it their homeland? Would that make my "homeland" Russia or Germany? How far back should I go?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They all came from Africa---so they use the continent as a unifying symbol. Maybe they should pick a continent that that didn't betray them and this continental symbolism might actually work. The "we're all Africans here" thingy doesn't appear to be working very well in stopping them from killing each other. It could be because modern Africans are still slaughtering each other.
    And enslaving each other. Little has changed since the US stopped allowing even those who 'owned' slaves from purchasing new ones from that continent.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

because it is their homeland? It is the land from which their ancestors were taken in chains against their will? In discussing black on black violence, an outline of the continent of africa certainly symbolizes the root of their problem, wouldn't you think?
    apparently not:

Settlers from the United States
    In 1822, the American Colonization Society established Liberia as a place to send freed African-American slaves. [5] African-Americans gradually migrated to the colony and became known as Americo-Liberians, where many present day Liberians trace their ancestry. On July 26, 1847, the Americo-Liberian settlers declared the independence of the Republic of Liberia.

The settlers regarded Africa as a "Promised Land", but they did not integrate into an African society. Once in Africa, they referred to themselves as "Americans" and were recognized as such by local Africans and by British colonial authorities in neighbouring Sierra Leone. The symbols of their state — its flag, motto, and seal — and the form of government that they chose reflected their American background and diaspora experience. Lincoln University (founded as Ashmun Institute for educating young blacks in Pennsylvania in 1854) played an important role in supplying Americo-Liberians leadership for the new Nation. The first graduating class of Lincoln University, James R. Amos, his brother Thomas H. Amos, and Armistead Miller sailed for Liberia on the brig Mary C. Stevens in April, 1859 after graduation.

Mutual mistrust and hostility between the "Americans" along the coast and the "Natives" of the interior was a recurrent theme in the country's history, along with (usually successful) attempts by the Americo-Liberian minority to dominate the what they identified to be savage native peoples. They named the land "Liberia," which in the Romance languages, and in Latin in particular, means "Land of the Free," as an homage to their freedom from slavery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia..._United_States

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    apparently not:

Settlers from the United States
    In 1822, the American Colonization Society established Liberia as a place to send freed African-American slaves. [5] African-Americans gradually migrated to the colony and became known as Americo-Liberians, where many present day Liberians trace their ancestry. On July 26, 1847, the Americo-Liberian settlers declared the independence of the Republic of Liberia.

The settlers regarded Africa as a "Promised Land", but they did not integrate into an African society. Once in Africa, they referred to themselves as "Americans" and were recognized as such by local Africans and by British colonial authorities in neighbouring Sierra Leone. The symbols of their state — its flag, motto, and seal — and the form of government that they chose reflected their American background and diaspora experience. Lincoln University (founded as Ashmun Institute for educating young blacks in Pennsylvania in 1854) played an important role in supplying Americo-Liberians leadership for the new Nation. The first graduating class of Lincoln University, James R. Amos, his brother Thomas H. Amos, and Armistead Miller sailed for Liberia on the brig Mary C. Stevens in April, 1859 after graduation.

Mutual mistrust and hostility between the "Americans" along the coast and the "Natives" of the interior was a recurrent theme in the country's history, along with (usually successful) attempts by the Americo-Liberian minority to dominate the what they identified to be savage native peoples. They named the land "Liberia," which in the Romance languages, and in Latin in particular, means "Land of the Free," as an homage to their freedom from slavery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia..._United_States
    what the hell does the fact that African-American slaves had a difficult time re-integrating into African society have to do with the fact that black on black violence stems from the concept that the anger and despair felt by decsendants of black slaves living in a predominantly white society leads to anti-social behavior?

You can't really be a lawyer. I am the son of a really good trial lawyer and if I had ever tried to twist an argument off course like that with MY father, he would have laughed me out of the room.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

what the hell does the fact that African-American slaves had a difficult time re-integrating into African society have to do with the fact that black on black violence stems from the concept that the anger and despair felt by decsendants of black slaves living in a predominantly white society leads to anti-social behavior?

Do you believe in this concept that black on black violence is the result of slavery?????

You realize that this totally negates personal responsibility, don't you??

Blacks are now lawyers, Doctors, teachers and CEO's not to mention they have the fastest growing middle class. Did these people not have slave ancestors???

Blaming black on black violence on slavery is simply a victim mentality. Oh...but sir....I'm like this because of what happened 150 yrs ago.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can't really be a lawyer. I am the son of a really good trial lawyer and if I had ever tried to twist an argument off course like that with MY father, he would have laughed me out of the room.
    maybe your dad wasn't as good as me by making arguments fit his position ..... let me show you how my argument has merit:

you said
    because it is their homeland?
    I showed that not all blacks consider it their homeland and when blacks do go back (almost 200 years ago) they do not in fact consider it their homeland. like the rest of immigrants, forced or not, they came to realize that this is their "homeland" and when they did go back, they thought african blacks were "savages"

my point is -- why the focus on africa, when history has shown they do not choose to go back and when they do, they consider themselves superior the "savages." why not accept america?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

maybe your dad wasn't as good as me by making arguments fit his position ..... let me show you how my argument has merit:

you said I showed that not all blacks consider it their homeland and when blacks do go back (almost 200 years ago) they do not in fact consider it their homeland. like the rest of immigrants, forced or not, they came to realize that this is their "homeland" and when they did go back, they thought african blacks were "savages"

my point is -- why the focus on africa, when history has shown they do not choose to go back and when they do, they consider themselves superior the "savages." why not accept america?
    My grandmother came over from Ireland as a little girl. Ireland is, in a sense, my homeland. That does not mean that I want to abandon my life in America and move to the Emerald Isle. It does mean that I celebrate and honor my Irish heritage. It does mean that I am a bit more concerned with what goes on in Ireland than I am with what goes on in, say, Albania, even though neither of them is the country in which I was born.

Blacks have had an historically raw deal in America from day one. That history has led to blacks being marginalized and relegated to lower slices of our socioeconomic strata than white people. That denigration and marginalization has bred anger and that anger manifests itself in violence - not only black on white violence, but black on black violence. The root cause for that is the fact that the marginalization is an aftermath of slavery and slavery happened when the blacks were taken hostage IN AFRICA, and sold in America as property.

And does "accepting America" require blacks, or anyone else, to accept it "as is" or can blacks, or anyone else, be politically active to create change?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My grandmother came over from Ireland as a little girl. Ireland is, in a sense, my homeland. That does not mean that I want to abandon my life in America and move to the Emerald Isle. It does mean that I celebrate and honor my Irish heritage. It does mean that I am a bit more concerned with what goes on in Ireland than I am with what goes on in, say, Albania, even though neither of them is the country in which I was born.

Blacks have had an historically raw deal in America from day one. That history has led to blacks being marginalized and relegated to lower slices of our socioeconomic strata than white people. That denigration and marginalization has bred anger and that anger manifests itself in violence - not only black on white violence, but black on black violence. The root cause for that is the fact that the marginalization is an aftermath of slavery and slavery happened when the blacks were taken hostage IN AFRICA, and sold in America as property.

And does "accepting America" require blacks, or anyone else, to accept it "as is" or can blacks, or anyone else, be politically active to create change?
    absolutely be politically active to create change. however, it is weak at best and intellectually dishonest at worst, to merely blame the situation on someone or something else. violence, rapes, prejudice, war continues among black africans in africa, today. slavery still exists there. also, what about the bushmen that black africans virtually annihilated? blaming all the so-called ills of the black man in america on slavery and whites is foolish.

real change will not occur until responsibility for ones own behavior takes place. i've worked with some inmates, black, brown, white, and those who take personal responsibility for their actions, regardless of how bad their life was when the committed the crime, are the ones who tend to get parole and make a difference.

you mentioned the irish heritage, my guess is, you view ireland with respect and as you said more interest than another country, but i doubt you swear homage to ireland and have a non-negotiable commitment to ireland. that is what i mean by accepting this country if they are going to stay here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

absolutely be politically active to create change. however, it is weak at best and intellectually dishonest at worst, to merely blame the situation on someone or something else. violence, rapes, prejudice, war continues among black africans in africa, today. slavery still exists there. also, what about the bushmen that black africans virtually annihilated? blaming all the so-called ills of the black man in america on slavery and whites is foolish.

real change will not occur until responsibility for ones own behavior takes place. i've worked with some inmates, black, brown, white, and those who take personal responsibility for their actions, regardless of how bad their life was when the committed the crime, are the ones who tend to get parole and make a difference.

you mentioned the irish heritage, my guess is, you view ireland with respect and as you said more interest than another country, but i doubt you swear homage to ireland and have a non-negotiable commitment to ireland. that is what i mean by accepting this country if they are going to stay here.
    I have a non-negotiable commitment to my Irish heritage. I will not stop being the grandson of an Irishwoman, nor stop celebrating that fact.

I did not ever blame ALL the so-called ills of the black man in america on slavery and whites. That would indeed be foolish. Pretending that slavery and centuries of sub-human status as property is not the root cause for those ills is equally foolish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a non-negotiable commitment to my Irish heritage. I will not stop being the grandson of an Irishwoman, nor stop celebrating that fact.

I did not ever blame ALL the so-called ills of the black man in america on slavery and whites. That would indeed be foolish. Pretending that slavery and centuries of sub-human status as property is not the root cause for those ills is equally foolish.
    thats different from the candidate running for office of president of the United States of America who's commitment is to the country first and foremost. kinda hard to make an oath the US....anyway, we have been down this road, no need to rehash it.

i don't think it is a "root" cause. as i said, such behavior/conditions continue to exist among african blacks who have never been slaves. while i don't doubt that slavery has caused problems, it is not a root problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thats different from the candidate running for office of president of the United States of America who's commitment is to the country first and foremost. kinda hard to make an oath the US....anyway, we have been down this road, no need to rehash it.

i don't think it is a "root" cause. as i said, such behavior/conditions continue to exist among african blacks who have never been slaves. while i don't doubt that slavery has caused problems, it is not a root problem.
    again.... in both instances above, you are entitled to your opinions, as I am mine. Just don't go trying to pass them off as facts.