Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sidney Songbird McCain admits to braking

What Songbird McCain COULD have said:
    ..."I was a POW - that's my business, not yours, I'm running for President of the United States, not POW" - What Sidney McCain could've said

... but he didn't.

"But after I turned down their offer, they worked me over harder than they ever had before. For a long time. And they broke me."

What does that mean "they broke me" ?

Does it mean something other than name, rank, and serial number?

How can Commander in Chief McCain command those who serve under him to give only name, rank, and serial number?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

When being tortured, if their goal is to break you, you will break.

A human can only endure so much, it is only a matter of time with the exception of a few rare cases that resisted until death.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

hey Spyder....haven't seen you in ages....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    When being tortured, if their goal is to break you, you will break.

A human can only endure so much, it is only a matter of time with the exception of a few rare cases that resisted until death.
    I agree with you.

I can understand him breaking and I don't loose a bit of respect for him having been broken or admitting it.

I watched last night's speech and I must say that I don't believe the part about him turning down the opportunity to go home. I wasn't there and I can't say for sure, but I don't believe it one bit. "Look at me, I'm a hero!"

BS, if you turned it down, you are an idiot.

Now, I have no evidence to back me up on that, but damnit, I don't believe it for a second.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    I don't believe the part about him turning down the opportunity to go home. I wasn't there and I can't say for sure, but I don't believe it one bit.

I believe it's been validated by other POWs...

http://www.vietnamwar.com/johnmccainbio.htm

John McCain's 5 1/2 years of captivity in North Vietnam were divided into two phases. Early on, this son and grandson of high-ranking Naval officers was accorded relatively privileged status. Then he refused early release--which he saw as a public relations stunt by his captors--insisting that POWs held longer than him should be granted their freedom first. Thereafter, McCain was treated much more severely, but he also had an opportunity to bond with his fellow prisoners. Those experiences strengthened his resolve and eased his transition back into civilian life.

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanTUba View Post
    What does that mean "they broke me" ?

Does it mean something other than name, rank, and serial number?

How can Commander in Chief McCain command those who serve under him to give only name, rank, and serial number?

You watch too many movies.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I believe it's been validated by other POWs...

http://www.vietnamwar.com/johnmccainbio.htm
    How would they know?

Just curious.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

How would they know?

Just curious.

Immie
    ...because they went home, instead of him? Nobody of authority has ever questioned McCain; when it happened, it was public knowledge.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Another liberal trying to insult a republican. Sydney McCain is McCain's son. Your attempts at belittling him just show your ignorance, again. But you keep working at it brainiac.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

The great thing is, these attempts wil surely backfire and just make McCain more impressive.

And Immie, I find it sad that you choose to disbelieve this one thing, with absolutely no basis for it either. I have never heard it questioned, and common sense would tell you that the other POW's with him would have been extremely aware of who went home and who didn't. Do you really doubt that? Were you a POW and had a different experience?

Whether you like McCain or not, you all are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that McCain was a POW of great courage.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    The great thing is, these attempts wil surely backfire and just make McCain more impressive.

And Immie, I find it sad that you choose to disbelieve this one thing, with absolutely no basis for it either. I have never heard it questioned, and common sense would tell you that the other POW's with him would have been extremely aware of who went home and who didn't. Do you really doubt that? Were you a POW and had a different experience?

Whether you like McCain or not, you all are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that McCain was a POW of great courage.
    I only call it the way I see it.

I do not like McCain. I respect his service to the country and I respect that he gave 5 1/2 years of his life in a POW camp. But, I must say, that I think the "I gave up a chance to come home early", thing is BS.

No, I am not a former POW, thank God.

No, I do not believe that the other POW's would be aware of who were given chances to go home and who weren't.

The fact that I think he is "bragging" about having chosen to stay in Hanoi, has nothing to do with whether or not I believe the man has or had courage. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a man of courage. Just putting himself in the place he was at the time says the man had great courage. On the other hand, I believe this story to be well embellished to say the least.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And just for the record Abbey, yes it is a sad thing that I don't trust a politician, but, he IS a politician.

I listened to his speech last night and despite the fact that my respect for him increased significantly last night, I still don't believe 95% of what he said last night. My main thought was, "promises, promises". As President, nothing that he promised can be accomplished without Congress having initiated it.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

And just for the record Abbey, yes it is a sad thing that I don't trust a politician, but, he IS a politician.

I listened to his speech last night and despite the fact that my respect for him increased significantly last night, I still don't believe 95% of what he said last night. My main thought was, "promises, promises". As President, nothing that he promised can be accomplished without Congress having initiated it.

Immie
    Immie, you just said yourself that you don't like McCain. I think that explains your suspicions. Expecially since it is 100% conjecture on your part.

As for "promises, promises", of course the Prez cannot do most of it alone. I've been saying that on here for a while. But given his tradtion of breaking with party lines, coupled with veto power, McCain has a good shot of forcing Congress in certain directions.

C'mon, Immie- why so little faith for a guy named Immanuel?!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Immie, you just said yourself that you don't like McCain. I think that explains your suspicions. Expecially since it is 100% conjecture on your part.

As for "promises, promises", of course the Prez cannot do most of it alone. I've been saying that on here for a while. But given his tradtion of breaking with party lines, coupled with veto power, McCain has a good shot of forcing Congress in certain directions.

C'mon, Immie- why so little faith for a guy named Immanuel?!
    I don't deny that first part at all, Abbey.

I have complete faith in politicians. I don't doubt that they are all liars... every single one of them regardless of party.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I don't believe the part about him turning down the opportunity to go home.
    Then you have a problem.

I wasn't there
    You certainly weren't.

and I can't say for sure,
    You just did.

Go suck an egg.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    Then you have a problem.

You certainly weren't.

You just did.

Go suck an egg.

I'm sorry, did I offend your God? And no, I never said for sure. I said I didn't believe him. I didn't make up some phony facts like others do to prove my point. I simply said, I don't believe him.

Right back at 'cha.

Immie
    Last edited by Immanuel; 09-05-2008 at 12:57 PM.